This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    Has anybody who's had a plug fail, sent it back to Bosch for them to examine?
    I'm with you on this one and I asked the question some time back I think in this thread about whether this stuff has been presented back to Bosch for comment. I bloody know i would if it was a plug that screwed up my engine...
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have bought two sets of bosch plugs in the past that where visually bad.
      All in one set, and one in another.
      The plug gap was obviously to large, and the electrode was misaligned.
      The supplier took them back without question.
      Problem is what do I replace them with. I have tried NGK with no success. Even after regaping they still misfired.
      Has anyone used the champion QC59c, or the bosch FR5dp's .or frdtc
      Maybe back to copper is the answer. I don't trust any at the moment.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with copper plugs. Yes you have to change them more regularly BUT they're considerably cheaper than iridium/platinum plugs & don't foul as easily.
        FWIW, when you cross reference the standard Bosch plug to NGK it comes up as being PFR7B

These charts may be some use so you can choose for yourself:

champion plugs.jpgngk plugs.jpg

Comment

and you'll have to re-gap the ngk plugs or they'll missfire at full thrust, captain!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

Just removed my POR bosch plugs and thankfully they're fine. Doubting putting same back in tho , at £50 also they're not cheap and worried if they fail it's all over.!!

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post

I have tried NGK with no success. Even after regaping they still misfired.
              Has anyone used the champion QC59c, or the bosch FR5dp's .or frdtc
              Maybe back to copper is the answer. I don't trust any at the moment.
              Try a set of a NGK copper plugs, gapped, and if it still misfires, one would think that it is something else rather than your plugs, presumably in your ignition set up ?

Is it a 3B ? :

Comment

Yes it's a 3b rs2 speck and pen remap.
                It runs fine on the bosch plugs , but It was never happy on the Ngk gaped or otherwise.

Comment

i just removed the non gapped ngk plugs that were already installed in my new S6 as the car spluttered when given it fully welly and replaced them with the gapped ngk plugs that were in my old S6:

result: no misfire and full thrust achieved as well as improved low down acceleration too!

Last edited by geneandbolly; 19 September 2015, 13:48.

Comment

What's the gap supposed to be ?

Thanks.

Comment

0.6mm on ngk - i think that they come out of the box as 0.75mm but mike will confirm that for you . . . can't believe that a tiny adjustment like that can make a massive difference!!

Comment

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
                        i just removed the non gapped ngk plugs that were already installed in my new S6 as the car spluttered when given it fully welly and replaced them with the gapped ngk plugs that were in my old S6:

result: no misfire and full thrust achieved as well as improved low down acceleration too!

Are they copper ?

Comment

without dragging them back out i can't tell you, i'm afraid. they were the standard ngk replacement for the bosch ones, just re-gapped to 0.6mm

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_c...=S6&engine=2.2

Last edited by geneandbolly; 21 September 2015, 17:15.

Comment

Just checked plugs in the green machine (ABY). Bosch F5DPOR fitted

Been reading through this lot and standard NGK for the ABY is PFR7B (http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_c...0PLUGS&key=ABY) ........but in this thread PFR7Q , BKR-7EIX and BKR-8EIX are also mentioned?
                            So, what'll I fit?
                            Thanks in advance.

Engine is standard (for now).

John.

Comment

Im a big fan of the simple and cheap NGK copper plugs. I use the BKR8E in my s2 avant gaped at 0.6mm. And the BKR7E in my RS6 v8. If it was my car i would use the BKR7E for a stock ABY.
                              1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

Fit the NGK, John but you'll have to gap them. Mike knows the gap - I can't remember!!

Comment

Working...
                                X