No announcement yet.

Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the efr turbos upto the 7163 have the same size outsides. Obviously turbine housing options change that a bit.

Comment

• Long time no update. So I swapped out the efr 6758 with a 7163 using a twin scroll t4 housing and quick spool valve. I adapted the manifold which is a cast Wagner copy to fit. Now spool is the same to peak boost as the smaller turbo but it holds boost further up the rpm and so makes more power. Also low down response is better with 0.5 bar boost just over 2k rpm.

Other things I have done is modify the breather so now I don't use a head breather and only use the block breather and a sump breather at the front. The catch can also drains back to the sump through the sump breather. I get NO oil past the catch can now. I also fitted a baffled sump when I did the sump breather.

Car was back at the ring this year and 3 up with a load of tools in the boot pulled 180 mph on the sat nav. Car was still accelerating but I ran out of balls.

Anyhow some pics of a hot 7163.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

• And all on a stock wastegate. Badass. Would love to see some vids or logs comparing the two turbos.

How do you think the 7163 would perform on a 2.2? Would it be streetable without the QSV?
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
        2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
        2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
        1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
          Other things I have done is modify the breather so now I don't use a head breather and only use the block breather and a sump breather at the front. The catch can also drains back to the sump through the sump breather. I get NO oil past the catch can now. I also fitted a baffled sump when I did the sump breather.
          ... why you have decided do not use head breather anymore ?
          do you have photo of sump breather from where it is coming ?

Comment

• Originally posted by PRY4SNO
            And all on a stock wastegate. Badass. Would love to see some vids or logs comparing the two turbos.

How do you think the 7163 would perform on a 2.2? Would it be streetable without the QSV?
            I actually ran the 7163 at first without the quick spool valve with the v band 0.85 housing.bit was definitely laggier than the 6758. Maybe 400 rpm. It was ok, but I missed the response of the 6758 and actually considered refitting it.

Then the manifold cracked, probably due to me messing with it while changing turbos, so I took the opportunity to use the t4 0.8 twin scroll housing and a quick spool valve. It's the same style bit cast manifold, just modified to be t4 fitment.

Definitely made it much more responsive and gets back on boost at least as quick as the 6758.

Comment

• Originally posted by sailaz

... why you have decided do not use head breather anymore ?
              do you have photo of sump breather from where it is coming ?
              I copied the sump that's on my urq. It looks like this.
              Basically I was using only a head breather. This was encouraging all the oil into the head and not letting it return to the sump. The catch can would fill with oil after about 30 seconds of wot, and then leave little oil in the sump. This is the main reason my urq engine spun a bearing last year as it was setup the same. Also last year on the autobahn on the way to the ring I had the urs4 empty lots of oil out the catch can. It was about to do the same as the urq, only the catch can on the urs4 is smaller and so overflowed giving me a smoky warning.

I think the secret is to use only the block and sump breather with no head vent. This encourages the oil back to the sump. I get no oil in the catch can now. None. Expensive lesson learned.

Comment

• .. from the photo I don't understand how it is made... sorry, is there just plate welded and pipe going out ? photo from outside possible ?

I have block & head breathing into catch can, and I had catch can filling with oil pretty fast, but after I did upgrade on oil sump
                with baffle plate from 'Thuppu' no more these issues observed:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...36#post1288436

Comment

• If your getting no oil in your catch can that's fine. My issue was I was only using head breather and so the oil would leave the sump and goto the head.

The sump breather just goes into the sump at the side and then turns to the front. It stops above the oil level at the front of the sump, so under acceleration the oil moves away leaving the breather exposed at the front.

Comment

The sump breather just goes into the sump at the side and then turns to the front. It stops above the oil level at the front of the sump
                    still the picture would tell then thousand words ...

P.S. and I was thinking to make 3rd breather line from head cover - to make holes in that tube where cable goes originally;
                    now I see that most likely I will skip this modification.

Comment

• Found one.

Comment

• now it is understandable thanks.

Comment

I actually ran the 7163 at first without the quick spool valve with the v band 0.85 housing.bit was definitely laggier than the 6758. Maybe 400 rpm. It was ok, but I missed the response of the 6758 and actually considered refitting it.

Then the manifold cracked, probably due to me messing with it while changing turbos, so I took the opportunity to use the t4 0.8 twin scroll housing and a quick spool valve. It's the same style bit cast manifold, just modified to be t4 fitment.

Definitely made it much more responsive and gets back on boost at least as quick as the 6758.

Is the 7163 with T4 Twinscroll AR.80 available with external wastegate?

Comment

• I have 220 stroker with similar mods but with GTX3076. Here is dyno sheet for comparison if interested
                            ​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Image is not loading up.

Comment

• C402WBY (1).pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X