No announcement yet.

Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night I tried upgrading firmware to version 1.2.23 but vems was having none of it and complained about not having a vems.hex file. So looks like I need to sort the bootloader out. I checked the post and the cable has came to do the upgrade so I will try it this weekend.

After that I messed with some boost pid settings and advanced the timing slightly and had a drive. Timing is still very safe and I could hear no ping with my diy det cans. Well boost is now were I want it and the car is starting to get ridiculous! It actually slipped the clutch a few times but then seemed to settle in. Hopefully it's still just running in. Power builds strongly after 2k rpm and by 3 k it's nuts. It holds the power to about 6.7 k when I can feel it start to fall off slightly but in all fairness it's pulls hard to 7.3k limiter.

My next problem is that the lpg ecu logged the petrol injectors duty cycle at 100%. This means the gas ecu thinks there is a fault (as who runs injectors at 100 %) and puts you back on petrol. I used about 1/4 tank of petrol in 25 miles.... The injectors are 630cc and I'm running a 3 bar fpr. So I will refit the 4 bar fpr and rescale vems and the gas ecu. In all fairness I am a bit rich at 0.74 lambda so the combination of leaning that off and going to 4 bar fpr will get me enough fuel to keep the duty cycle sensible and the lpg ecu and my wallet happy.

The car has spax adjustable suspension with all new bushes and solid subframe mounts last year so drives nice but this engine is way too much for the chassis on a county road! I have the dampers softened up to make the car quite comfortable to drive but I'm going to have to stiffen them up somewhat. That or take it easy over bumps. The way it puts it's *** into the ground and it's nose in the air under acceleration over bumps etc is a bit scary. I suppose I could lift off.... In all fairness I have brought the boost back down slightly as honestly it is just to hairy on my test road.

Cheers des.

Comment

• sent us a log to see how quick it boosts!!!

Sounds great...keep working!
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Yep will do some logging when I get a chance. Actually should have a log on my vems laptop....

Comment

• @des - you do know the throttle pedal has some alternative positions between idle and wot ;-)

Sound like you built a right torque monster there if you are dialling boost downwards for the sake of your underpants !
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
            @des - you do know the throttle pedal has some alternative positions between idle and wot ;-)

Sound like you built a right torque monster there if you are dialling boost downwards for the sake of your underpants !
            Lol yea I suppose that is an option but I will wait till I wind up the dampers first. Can I get vems to control my dampers???!!!!??? Lol

Comment

• Stick the video up....

Comment

• I can nether confirm or deny the existence of a video that may or may not show some off the public road acceleration tests of a similar car....

Comment

• But if you were to post up a random video you found on the net it might be interesting to see for reference purposes only.

Comment

• so i understand that your engine is also running on lpg gas?
                    that is against my nature
                    building a great stroker engine and than driving on lpg
                    audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                    TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                    AEM W/M injection

Comment

• Yep. 45 p per liter and high octane. What's not to like.

Comment

• i have seen many engines on gas and frequently causes problems
                        the most common problem is that the valves or damaged,less compression
                        audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                        TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                        AEM W/M injection

Comment

• Some engines have soft valves. Our valves are hard as are the seats. Some jap engines are very soft and don't have self adjusting tappets. We have hydraulic tappets so again no problems.

Comment

• I got the new boot loader on and upgraded to the latest firmware. Started playing with the knock control setup and wasn't getting far. Knock control is the reason I wanted the newer vems firmware.
                            On further investigation my loom isn't connected to the ecu on the knock side. The fella that I bought the ecu from and the adaptor loom is dead unfortunately. He was ment to have the knock sensors connected but clearly hasn't. So I opened the ecu and it doesn't have the knock hardware installed too. ****. It can be upgraded but needs to go to vems to do that.

I have the rolling road booked for 11 of December so I will find out what the turn around time is. But it's looking too tight. Might just keep as is too after Christmas.

Comment

• On a positive note I did remove a rattling heatshield today and in its place fitted a turbo blanket and exhaust wrap on the downpipe and also some thermal mat on the engine bay.

I also connected a pressure gauge at the downpipe to test for back pressure. I
                              saw 0.5 bar exhaust back pressure. So at the expansion ratio the turbine is working at 2.5 to 3 that's 15 to 25 psi exhaust manifold pressure due to the exhaust. There is power in there but not sure it's worth hunting when wanting a quiet car too.

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                                I got the new boot loader on and upgraded to the latest firmware. Started playing with the knock control setup and wasn't getting far. Knock control is the reason I wanted the newer vems firmware.
                                On further investigation my loom isn't connected to the ecu on the knock side. The fella that I bought the ecu from and the adaptor loom is dead unfortunately. He was ment to have the knock sensors connected but clearly hasn't. So I opened the ecu and it doesn't have the knock hardware installed too. ****. It can be upgraded but needs to go to vems to do that.

I have the rolling road booked for 11 of December so I will find out what the turn around time is. But it's looking too tight. Might just keep as is too after Christmas.
                                only 2 parts needed for that upgrade so no big deal

Comment

Working...
                                X