No announcement yet.

Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think something people miss while looking at stats and paperwork between turbos is that the transient response is MUCH higher on the EFR turbos between shifts.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
    2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
    2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
    1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Some updates. I was having clutch slip and trigger errors in vems so I removed the gearbox and welded a bigger piece of steel on the flywheel to replace the 4 mm 3b flywheel pin.

I also replaced the pressure plate from the light spec one to a sachs racing one. So the clutch is now all sachs racing.

The car now has no trigger errors and will rev right off the counter cleanly. I also changed the engine mounts to the softer inserts and they are much better. Still a slight vibration but I think it's a heat shield I fitted touching the chassis.

The clutch slipped once coming on boost but has been fine since. I still need to set the boost up properly as it's peaking at 2 bar then coming back to 1.5 bar and hunting a bit l. Need to play with the pid settings and raise the setpoint to 2 bar plus .

Need to change the fuel pump to the 044 and then start the mapping properly. But things are coming together.

Comment

Last weekend i installed the 044 fuel pump and basket in the tank. Had to make a tool to remove the original basket. You need about a 4 inch length of 4 inch sewer plastic pipe and 4 m8 bolts drilled and at 90 degrees to each other close to one end of the pipe. The bolts then engage with the 4 indents in the cage and the basket can be screwed out.

The 044 pump does sound slightly louder than the stock pump but it's not annoying. Not a buzz more a sound of fuel flowing.

I also played with vems and my firmware is version 1.74. The bootloader in the ecu needs upgraded to take the latest versions so I had to order a cable to do that. In the meantime I can upgrade to version 1.89 and have booked a mate to give me a hand tweeking values in the ecu while I drive on Saturday.

Vems is still doing something weird. sometimes I just get wastgate boost pressure others I get the setpoint in the ecu. When this happens I can see the boost control valve n75 duty cycle just fall to 0 and the boost falls to wastgate spring setting. Then without anything changing the duty cycle changes to a higher number eg say 80% and then controls boost again. This is why I want to load a new firmware to try and fix this. I can't see anything wrong in the settings. Anyone have ideas? It's hard to see what's happening while driving so hopefully my mate might spot something on Saturday. Also just remembered about logging. Cheers des

Comment

Hopefully the new f/w will fix that bad boost control behaviour. If not then it's a major pita unless you just have some intermittent bad connection to the WGFV.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul yea I thought that a bad connection was my fault and went through the loom and repaired with solder a slightly dodgy part. I have tried a few n75 valves too.

But now I see in vems that the duty cycle go's to zero when the boost falls away and then the duty cycle recovers to a reasonable value and the boost recovers. So it's vems itself making this happen. It just does it randomly. Just what I need a bipolar ecu.....

Comment

Maybe it's just scared, or has excessive clutch empathy ;-)
              Very annoying gremlin alright - I suppose the VEMS gurus have nothing to offer until you are on the newer f/w.
              Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Haven't really asked the vems guys yet. I'm sure they will say try latter firmware (mine is 4 years old) and do some logs. Boost control is something they have changed a lot in newer firmware so maybe there were some glitches. So if I do that and can't bottom it out I will start posting on the vems forum. If I'm stuck on Saturday when mapping with my mate I have borrowed a few bleed valves and mechanical boost controllers from ivan. Then I can worry about mapping the boost properly latter in vems.

Oh Paul, did you every get anything for knock detection. I have built some det cans and plan on using them.

Comment

I actually ended up modifying a kind of hearing aid thing with a remote microphone attached to knock sensor. I never feel 100% confident with it as I never had the opportunity to dial in enough advance to force audible knocking.
                  Paul Nugent

Comment

Yea that part of mapping is a nervous time...

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                      This EFR turbo is smaller than RS2 turbo on the turbine side and larger on the compressor. I highly doubt it would make more than 430-450 but surely spools really fast.
                      Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                      What size is rs2 turbine. This is 58 mm turbine so almost Gt30 size.
                      Originally posted by Billman View Post
                      This EFR has 54/67mm compressor and 58/51mm turbine. The K24-7200 has 48/50mm compressor and 55mm turbine exducer (small diameter) (cant find the turbine inducer diameter now).
                      Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                      I think the rs2 is 55mm max on the big dia on the turbine
                      K24 RS2: comp wheel 66/47,5mm, turbine wheel 59/52,8mm
                      EFR6758: comp wheel 67/53,6mm, turbine wheel 57/51mm

RS2 charger is limited at compressor side, turbine side's capacity is much higher, so the bigger comp wheel isn't a too bad idea :-)
                      With the 430-450 hp I agree, that will be a great motor setup with an excellent streetability and much more torque than the hp number lets expect.

Comment

The efr is certainly nice to drive and very responsive. Will be good to see what it's like properly mapped when boost control is sorted out. It's frustrating as when vems decides to boost it pulls hard!

What ar is the rs2 turbine. It's a number 6 isn't it. What is that in a ratio? This efr is a 0.82. Some guys in the USA on other cars are showing over 500bhp at the wheels on the efr6758. So converting that to real euro bhp and it might push to a maxed out 500 bhp crank. 450 is my target. It's a 52 lb/min compressor so my target shouldn't be a problem.
                        Last edited by diesel des; 14 November 2014, 07:23.

Comment

Today I tried loading newer firmware to vems. I was on version 1.1.74 and should of been able to go to version 1.1.89 before messing with the boot loader. But by mistake I loaded version 1.2.11 on which is the latest stable release. Anyhow it went on no problems and now I seem to have proper boost control! I went out for about 30 minutes and had no boost issues. I still need to trim the actual boost values and the pid settings but it's there or thereabouts. So it must of just been dodgy firmware making it mess about before.

Now I need to book a rolling road to get the timing dialed in properly. I'm only running about 10 degrees advance and should be able to get closer to 20 but really need to listen properly for ping and detonation on a rolling road.

I rang 2 different rolling roads and they don't seem interested in helping Ffs. It's like we will fit our ecu to your car and map it and charge megabucks and arnt interested in just paying for half a day of there time. Weird. Might need a trip to the mainland just to get a 4 wd rolling road that is interested.

Comment

You found 2 x 4wd rollers in Ireland ?
                            Last I checked there was only the one in Westmeath.
                            Dunno why they cannot just offer up use of the rollers manned by their staff on an hourly rate. I supposed they aren't used to dealing with folk who know what they are at in this area.

Doesn't VEMS have any coverage for knock detection ?

I always wanted to investigate aftermarket knock detection modules but I have no idea if there is any reputable ones with known 20VT capability. Dmitri may know of such a thing, but then again the instrumentation he has on the motronic knock detection is probably what he relies on.

Some tells me Espen or another Nordic nutcase experimented with one the past.

Maybe try increasing advance in 1 degree increments at max load every weekend and drive about with detcans and/or knock-lite to find what difference you can see, feel & hear.
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

Paul there is a 4 wd rolling road at East coast customs in Lisburn and another near Armagh. The one in Armagh wouldn't even get back to me. East coast customs may be able to do something but the fella I talked too said he needed to talk to his boss and despite chasing up a few times its all quiet. I will bug them again on Monday.

Yea vems can do knock control but I would like to set the car up on a known working knock detection setup and then try and fine tune vems to pick up the same thing instead of use a new thing that might be a bit touchy.

At least with a rolling road I can add a few degrees timing and do a power run and see if it has helped, then continue.

Comment

http://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_knock_control.html

Seems interesting. More stuff to try...

Comment

Working...
                                X