Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.. I do love these kind of projects

Comment

As I'm using 3b s2 oil and water pumps on a tall tdi block with AAN urs4 ancillaries some things were bound to interfere.

The water pump nose on its pulley is quite long and was interfering with the aan accessory belt Tensioner. So I cut off its nose, about 15mm, and tacked the pulley in 4 places to the shaft to ensure it won't move. All ground flat again.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Comment

The tdi block is taller and so I had to cut and set a piece of steel into the timing belt back plate. It's a 3b plate, and I am using a carbon 3b cover I got from aron on this site which is made to clear the Vernier cam pulley. Here is the backplate fitted and painted.

Comment

You will also notice in the above picture that I have modified the plastic deflector that sits on the cam to stop oil being flung out the oil cap if it's opened with the engine running. It's mounted on the other side now and it's purpose and position is to deflect the oil away from the drilled oil breather pipe in the cam cover.

Comment

So I had a sleeve made for the idler to increase its od to 81 mm. It was a tap on fit and I used bearing fit and a few tacks of weld to hold it.

This gave me a tight 151 tooth AAN belt with plenty of adjustment left.

Comment

Next up was the belt cover. I won't run an engine on the road with no cover as a single stone can kill a belt and reck a head or even complete engine.

I got a carbon cover off aron on this site and had to butcher it to make it fit the tall block. I had to extend it with fiberglass. Also this cover is the deep version to clear Vernier cam pulley.

My next issue was the accessory belt Tensioner hitting the bulge in the cover.

So I cut the bulge off!

And everything now fits. Here is a picture of the accessory belt on and clearing everything OK.

Next job is to fiberglass up the hole I have made. It just needs to be flat with no bulge to fit. Once that is done I will tidy up all the fiberglass and painted black to make it less obvious. Also were it's cut and modified is lower down and won't be seen easily when it's all in the car.

So tomorrow I will finish off that cover and hopefully a new crank bolt will be here so I can torque the poo out of it and that's the engine and box ready to go in....

Comment

Oh for completeness the accessory belt is 22mm longer than stock AAN to fit the tall block and spaces brackets.

Comment

very nice sharing, theee small detalj... i DO like it....!!

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

Admiring your work Des and attention to details on the timing belt which brought me here from another thread.
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thanks Paul. The engine is ready for dropping in but i have to change the boot on the steering rack first which is a complete operation. I'm working long hours and weekends at the minute so it's hard to get time and motivation. ..

Comment

Tell me about - I am having a quiet week for the first time in like 6 months... but at least you are making progress !
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

So an update. I managed to get the steering rack boot changed. It was a pain in the *** even with the engine out.

So today I dropped the engine and box into the car.

It has highlighted that my oil return on the turbo is a bit tight to the chassis leg so I will redo that.

Also as the block is about 16mm taller the inlet manifold touches the sound absorbing material under the bonnet. It still closes ok but but I will shim the engine down on its mounts about 10mm. There is about 20mm between the sump and subframe so there is space ok.

Next step is to make the new downpipe. There is plenty of room for the 3 inch setup.

Comment

Good stuff, it's really coming together now

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

I hope to have it making noise within a week. There I said it. It must happen now...

Comment

Working...
                                X