No announcement yet.

Intake manifold porsche inscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to let you know, that the dark "colour" in the etching will flake of if you were to scrape it just the slightest, and under that the etching is as shiny as the plate. I dont know what it´s called in English but over here it translates to "glowshell"
    Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

• As Bambridge said, CNC machining is really the way to go with these...mine were done with one setup, 3 tool changes, and in aluminum. Aluminum is lighter, weldable to the manifold, and has the same coefficient of thermal expansion. The difference in CTE *may* cause the SS version to detach after heat cycling. I would also spend a bit more time getting the artwork more consistent with the actual Audi Sport. For example, matching the 'powered by' font to the original design took some time. The aspect ratio of your parallelogram logo is too wide. Also, the Audi and Sport fonts are not really working well together. When I get back home this weekend, I will PM you my DXF file from the ones that I had done. You can do what you want with it as far as modification, but there was lots of tweaking to get things looking the way I wanted.

...and just to be clear this is just constructive criticism and not meant to be negative in any way. I realize you are just trying to help out the community and are not going to be getting much more than a headache out of this...
      Last edited by Wheeljack; 11 March 2011, 03:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
        As Bambridge said, CNC machining is really the way to go with these...mine were done with one setup, 3 tool changes, and in aluminum. Aluminum is lighter, weldable to the manifold, and has the same coefficient of thermal expansion. The difference in CTE *may* cause the SS version to detach after heat cycling. I would also spend a bit more time getting the artwork more consistent with the actual Audi Sport. For example, matching the 'powered by' font to the original design took some time. The aspect ratio of your parallelogram logo is too wide. Also, the Audi and Sport fonts are not really working well together. When I get back home this weekend, I will PM you my DXF file from the ones that I had done. You can do what you want with it as far as modification, but there was lots of tweaking to get things looking the way I wanted.

...and just to be clear this is just constructive criticism and not meant to be negative in any way. I realize you are just trying to help out the community and are not going to be getting much more than a headache out of this...
        Will, i think you are doing a fantastic job with these but i have to agree with the above comment. I think they have potential to look fantastic and they are almost there.

I understand you are doing this around uni so time spent doing this is perhaps not time best spent. Im in my second year and have loads on at the mo so i understand your busy too

I am in no rush for mine and im sure the others will agree, although price point is something to think about, but if we need to make a slightly larger donation to your studies for extra time spent on this, im sure it will be worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bikerjim View Post
          I think if its gona be coloured to have it red like this one from earlier in the thread. With the rings in silver/ bare metal.

I may be tempted to take one unpainted so I can decide at a later date.
          In agreement with the above, I personally prefer the same font.

In fact, if it looks like that ^^ then that's spot on as far as I'm concerned.
          1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
          A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

• I agree with all the above comments! Im happy to take criticism part of being an engineer lol and things are never perfect first time round...life would be boring if they are!

the design was made with the feedback we had at the time and now we can kinda see if doesnt look quite right. no loss though! and no point doing it unless its done properly.

Im secretly really enjoying this, no headache at all! im in contact with a few other people i know and have many means of getting it done. It'll happen soon i hope!

will keep it moving dont worry!
            1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
              . When I get back home this weekend, I will PM you my DXF file from the ones that I had done. You can do what you want with it as far as modification, but there was lots of tweaking to get things looking the way I wanted.
              :
              This would be a great help, thanks!

Comment

• I definitely wouldn't mind waiting longer and contributing more for a spot on design. As close to the RS2 inscription as poss would be great.

Comment

• Ditto

Le Mans 2012
                  Nurburgring 700
                  1995 S2 Avant

Comment

• Double Ditto
                    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Morning all,

just so you're aware, I haven't given up! Just been snowed under with this uni work stuff...Over the easter break I'll get back on it. I have several contacts now who could possibly make them for us, I just need to sort prices.

The engravers will do them for around £35 or £37.50 painted. I'm going to get a one done to see the quality and if its worth the money. Then it will depend on what machine shops can come up with!

News soon hopefully!

Comment

• Apologies for the lack of progress...Uni has been manic...my dissertation is due in 2 weeks time, and i'm yet to recieve my reground camshafts to test it's going to be very last minute

As soon as thats out the way, I should have some time to tackle the job around my revision and what seems to be an ever grown number of parts to clean on the S2!

I do have a number of people who can help though so I'm sure something can be sorted out pretty quickly!

Comment

• No prob mate.
                          1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                          A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

• Can i have one when your ready

Comment

• Of course!

I'm trying to sort it next week!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by willg54 View Post
                                Of course!

I'm trying to sort it next week!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
                                No Problem Will, i know what its like, i have lots of projects on the go, and a desk full of car parts and drawings, and me Dad saying we gotta get that order finished tomorrow etc,etc

Comment

Working...
                                X