Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest it C4 adjustable camber/caster plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As told in this thread before, the camber plates for normal springs will rise the ride height by 20mm. I found some old pics from my HDD that shows how simpple it is to lower the spring plates by 20mm on the struts so you can keep the same stance as before. Just carefully cut the lower spring plate loose and weld it back on in same position but 20mm lower. Quite easy job when you have the struts out.

And if you use Bilstein HD "upsidedown" shocks, then remember to bore small water drain holes in the bottom of the strut.

Sometimes also the tie rod end can be really hard to get off, this is my HD tool for it , it keeps the rubber intact.

Last edited by Thuppu; 29 November 2015, 19:24.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Did you make that tool Thomas? They can be a real pain to pop.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Yes it's DIY, quite old tool. Did it about 10 years back for my typ44, but it's still good for the C4.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• I'm interested in a set of plates as well when they're ready.

EDIT: That's embarassing. Totally necrobumped this thread. Wrong thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by pilihp2 View Post
            Totally necrobumped this thread.
            Thats something i havent heard before

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
              As told in this thread before, the camber plates for normal springs will rise the ride height by 20mm. I found some old pics from my HDD that shows how simpple it is to lower the spring plates by 20mm on the struts so you can keep the same stance as before. Just carefully cut the lower spring plate loose and weld it back on in same position but 20mm lower. Quite easy job when you have the struts out.

And if you use Bilstein HD "upsidedown" shocks, then remember to bore small water drain holes in the bottom of the strut.

Sometimes also the tie rod end can be really hard to get off, this is my HD tool for it , it keeps the rubber intact.
              Hello,
              is that modification with cutting, lowering and welding back them spring plates a safe thing to do ?
              Never seen something like that anywhere else.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by silnor3ki View Post
                Hello,
                is that modification with cutting, lowering and welding back them spring plates a safe thing to do ?
                Never seen something like that anywhere else.

Thanks.
                Well I'll guess this will depend on how you classify your welding skills. If your welding usually looks like this, then it could be a good idea to don't do it.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• well I did not mean that

sorry, I did not specify my question properly.
                  if you lower the spring plate, will the suspension still work properly ?
                  I assume only with some good lowering springs otherwise it would be to soft (and by doing that to spring plate also to low) and the bottom of the car could bounce off the street in some cases. Am I right ?

Comment

• If you think about it, the spring will only be ~20mm in different position(lower down) from stock, nothing more, same spring travel left. C4 chassis can't really hit the ground, the shocks will bottom out before the car "floor" hit the road. Of course there can be ground contact on bad bumps or pot holes, but anyway you don't wan't to drive fast on those and propably destroy your wheels.

There really isn't anything fancy about doing this. Making coilovers is then little bit more complex...

Last edited by Thuppu; 2 August 2016, 09:04.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• I need info on these plates

Comment

Working...
                      X