Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
    phook
    Exactly brother, but you have to expect it when they get to this age. Mine has done over 220k, it currently running an " ultimate driving machine" bearing that i bet is shot at, thats what i'm hoping the "droaning" noise is anyway!
    ATB

RAOUL

Comment

• It has a part number on but is not possible to get through any VW/Audi contacts. If Pete can supply I will be impressed. Though not by the price and last time I tried him he sent me a BMW crappy thing and when I rang him he said "it will have to do, what else are you going to do!"
      Sent him it back and got the Propshaft clinic on the case.
      I also have two strange ones from America that they swore was the correct part, no. WRONG WRONG WRONG!.
      Rob..
      94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
      87 UR 20v ABY
      97 S6 Avant
      96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
      1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

• The one from QC is identical to the OE bearing, I've seen one and compared it to the one on my spare prop. The only thing that needs adjusting is the mounting holes are out.

Propshaft.co.uk quoted me to completely refurb mine. Not too bad when you take the parts prices into account.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
          The one from QC is identical to the OE bearing, I've seen one and compared it to the one on my spare prop. The only thing that needs adjusting is the mounting holes are out.

Propshaft.co.uk quoted me to completely refurb mine. Not too bad when you take the parts prices into account.
          Thats interesting £200 and you have to start modding it to fit?
          I bet its not the right one! just a close looking one.
          They are critical on the rubber strength/thickness.
          It was a few years ago I got that rubbish sent by Pete. As I would have never tried passing off the wrong part as correct to my customers Pete lost a customer over that farse.

The ones from the clinic fit perfect and are matched to the audi number.
          Rob..
          94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
          87 UR 20v ABY
          97 S6 Avant
          96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
          1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

• It's a lot less than £200.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• This is a pretty reasonal fault finding FAQ from www.propshaft-services.co.uk which might help:

http://www.propshaft-services.co.uk/faq.php#2

. Vehicle vibration due to a propshaft out of balance

A propshaft vibration is very similar to a wheel vibration and may be caused by one of the following:

a) A new vehicle where there is a driveline fault.
              b) A modified vehicle where angles or installation are incorrect.
              c) An old propshaft with worn components.
              d) A balance weight falling off.
              e) Accident damage to the propshaft or mating flanges.
              f) A poorly repaired shaft

to topˆ

2. The driveline vibrates at a certain speed

Most propshaft vibrations are worse within a 15-25mph band. i.e. comes in at 50mph and goes at 65mph. If the vibration is over the complete speed range either the propshaft has been bent or damage has occured to other transmission components (gearbox or differential).

to topˆ

3. There is a clunk when the clutch is released

This can be due to worn components in the propshaft either a universal joint or if fitted, sliding splines or wear between splines and connecting flanges when a centre bearing support is used.

A propshaft with worn components cannot be successfully balanced to known tolerances

to topˆ

4. Is there a standard for propshaft manufacture?

There is an Internationally recognised standard for the dynamic balance of rotating bodies which include propshafts. It is not neccessary to balance a propshaft to very fine limits if the application does not require it. It is as important that the propshaft is straight with minimal runout on tube and forgings as it is to dynamically balance the shaft. The shaft should be balanced at a set speed equivalent to the speed that the application will spend the majority of its life doing. It is pointless balancing a shaft at 5000rpm if it will spend most of its life spinning at between zero and 3000rpm.

The standard for the dynamic balance of propshaft is generally accepted as follows:

ISO 1940 G40 (VDI 2060 Q40) for shafts with slight wear
              ISO 1940 G25 (VDI 2060 Q25) for new shafts
              ISO 1940 G16 (VDI 2060 Q16) for special application

To certify that a shaft is within the recognised tolerance we must know the speed required, the weight of the shaft and which of the above grades is required.

to topˆ

5. Can a propshaft be made stronger?

In some cases it is possible to upgrade a propshaft within reason. A propshaft must be viewed as a "fuse" in the driveline. If the shaft is upgraded without consultation, premature failure may occur in other driveline components.

Propshaft tubing is NOT standard tube, it is made to a specification that controls straightness, ovality and wall thickness and allows a certain degree of flexibility.

Tel: +44 (0)208 844 2265 / 7 Fax: +44 (0)208 890 1139 E-mail: sales@propshaft-services.co.uk
              Construction Company Advertising
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• Unbolted the center bearing today of my car.
                Found something peculiar just wanting to know if its supposed to be this way.

When i release the bearing the prop falls down. When i turn it half a revolution it is straight as an arrow? It cant be brought down. i can push it up though. Same in reverse. Turn a half revolution more so it sits in the original position and it hangs down some but cant be pushed up past straight so to speak. Was going to have the car tuned on Thursday so im kinda pressed on time to
                Last edited by meep; 21 June 2009, 22:42.

Comment

• sounds like maybe the universal joint is broken ?
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• The one in the middle? Cant see a problem with it. I have to admit i didn't eyeball it that much but seems to me that it should be pretty visible?

Comment

• Problem solved. CV joint that is attached to the gearbox is totaly sized.

Comment

• aaaah that makes sense Meep, that was my theory on the UJ, didn't consider the cv's
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• So does anyone know the manufacturer and part number yet of the OEM centre bearing that GT500 found?

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeuswastaken View Post
                            So does anyone know the manufacturer and part number yet of the OEM centre bearing that GT500 found?

Cheers
                            No one knows??

Comment

• Buy it from gt500 if he found it and us selling them then you are unlikely to get the number

Comment

• Originally posted by martinjs View Post
                                This is the new centre bearing on the left. BMW part 26111206502 £16 from ECP.
                                I know I am bringing back a dead horse, but this bearing looks the same as the audi one in this picture. This center bearing is from Powertrain Industries, part number 2580-10. It can be found on this page.

https://www.powertrainindustries.com...uu2v3c9tgp27c5

Last edited by 90quattrocoupe; 17 February 2012, 16:56.
                                They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X