New S2 Avant Nothelle N300 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops.
    I was following the guide I found on the forum which gives several options including everything which I went for.
    I did plug the Ecu hose as I didn’t want to risk damaging anything there.
    I should have listened to you in the first place John, but it looks like I got away with it.
    Car is running nicely and co has dropped down to about 0.3 on my tester. I need to take it for a long drive now to get it properly warmed up and test it again. I will clear the codes first and re check afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I had some nasty holes in my centre consul where a mobile phone was fitted. It was also missing the front left clip which holds the panel tight to the centre.
      Lefrog is a very kind person and very useful to know as his family runs a breakers yard. He found me a good replacement, which I fitted today.

The ash tray was toast but I swapped it with mine.
      He also found me a good bonnet pull which I will hopefully fit tomorrow.

Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• More fun and games.
        My friend helped me change the wheel bearing over for another new SKF.

When all done there was no play. So I drove the 10 miles home and notice some noise again from that wheel at about 30mph. So, jacked the car up to check all was ok. The play had returned!
        Striped it down again to check something. I had pained the hub so cleaned it off just in case this was causing the issue.

Put it all back together again. I still have about 1mm of play.
        Any ideas?

Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Then. On the drive the Auto check oil light came on. Not done this before.
          And the oil pressure gauge in the centre consul still goes directly to max and stays there all the time. I’ve tried another pressure sender and a new relay but made no difference. Could it be the smaller oil sender below the cotton reel one?

On the plus side the car is running beautifully pulling strongly in all gears from low revs up to my self imposed 3k rev limit. It’s so tempting to give it some welly!

Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I think the blue wiring terminal should be on the G terminal of the sender.
            Thats the terminal plastic cover!
            Last edited by twoqu; 18 July 2019, 16:47.

Comment

• Have you been able to determine where the play is occurring?

I've never fitted a bearing before as it involves a hydraulic press that I don't have but I've watched it done and it involves quite a lot of force to press the bearing into the bearing carrier.

Is the play between the fixed and rotating parts of the bearing (I. E your bearing has failed) or between the outer race and carrier (I. E your carrier is ever so slightly too big) or between the inner race and hub (I. E your hub is slightly too small)

Skf bearings last a good while in service, if the play is between the fixed and rotating halves then I wonder if you have sadly damaged the bearing pressing it in? I hope not as that would be awfully annoying. You must press it in with a blank that pushes the outer race into the carrier, if you are pressing it in by pushing the inner race the I'm afraid that is probably why it's knackered again. Sorry if you already know this, I'm just throwing ideas out there!

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu
                I think the blue wiring terminal should be on the G terminal of the sender.
                Thats the terminal plastic cover!
                Yes. It’s on the correct terminal. If you clean up the sensor there is actually a blob of blue paint to indicate which terminal goes where.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by steve briance
                  Have you been able to determine where the play is occurring?

I've never fitted a bearing before as it involves a hydraulic press that I don't have but I've watched it done and it involves quite a lot of force to press the bearing into the bearing carrier.

Is the play between the fixed and rotating parts of the bearing (I. E your bearing has failed) or between the outer race and carrier (I. E your carrier is ever so slightly too big) or between the inner race and hub (I. E your hub is slightly too small)

Skf bearings last a good while in service, if the play is between the fixed and rotating halves then I wonder if you have sadly damaged the bearing pressing it in? I hope not as that would be awfully annoying. You must press it in with a blank that pushes the outer race into the carrier, if you are pressing it in by pushing the inner race the I'm afraid that is probably why it's knackered again. Sorry if you already know this, I'm just throwing ideas out there!
                  I’ve done a few bearings and did it with proper support both times. It’s difficult to see where the play is. Certainly very tight fit going into the hub carrier. Maybe there is wear on the hub itself. I will have to visit my Audi mechanic again.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• This car is fighting back!
                    Fitted the new bonnet cable and now it works.
                    Only problem is that the grommet is the wrong size and mine fell into the black hole behind the dash.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

Yes. It’s on the correct terminal. If you clean up the sensor there is actually a blob of blue paint to indicate which terminal goes where.

As both of those signal goes through the aux loom with the round connectors, I would check for continuity there down to the sender. I believe the pressure sensor should have some resistance whereas the pressure switch is either open or closed circuit. The full scale deflection is supposedly down to not having any signal.

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu View Post

As both of those signal goes through the aux loom with the round connectors, I would check for continuity there down to the sender. I believe the pressure sensor should have some resistance whereas the pressure switch is either open or closed circuit. The full scale deflection is supposedly down to not having any signal.
                        Thanks for the tip. I did have a problem with that section of wiring previously so its a good place to start. I ran a test on the bench previously before installing that bit of the loom but its been pushed and pulled into place sine then.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I think I found the problem. The loom that runs on the left side of the engine was actually touching the block and looks heat damaged. I will have to take it all out and repair. It's the section that goes to the oil sensors and water rail.
                          My back is still sore from yesterday (crawling about under the dash) so I haven't even started on the grommet hunt
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I’ve spent this afternoon on the car. I tested for continuity on the sensor wires and had 0 resistance on all three wires. All the connections were good so I was still scratching my head. My electrician friend called by and suggested that a simple resistance test would not always show up a problem. Sometimes a small strand of wire would show 0 resistance but not carry sufficient voltage in operation. So I hot wired each connection in turn back to the relevant wire on the plug on the bulkhead. Hey presto, the black and white wire to the oil pressure sender wasn’t carrying sufficient voltage and when hot wired, the warning light went out.

Now I just have the horrible job of taking that bit of the loom out and fixing. Not looking forward to that.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• And thanks to Lefrog who found me a good replacement cable, the bonnet now opens nicely and I ditched the blue string!
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Before you take the loom out, try just shortening that wire a little and crimping a new tag on the end.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X