No announcement yet.

New S2 Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC windscreens are pritty expensive compared to other cars and can be a right PITA to fit.
    96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

That's what I thought. I'll speak to usual guy I use. Fingers crossed

Comment

ignition on the 3B is via a dizzy, ABY / AAN / ADU is coil on plug, that's the only drawback over the later engines.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I know that bay has DIS. Nowt wrong with a dizzy in my opinion. All the same for a 20 year old car it romps on most new stuff

Comment

Nowt wrong with a dizzy, but can't compare to a coils. Do a search on "spark hop" the dizzy can be a liability
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thankfully all leads are new. There.s pro and cons to both I guess coil packs are known to blow. Most 1.8t also cook the wiring looms. I'd have liked the 6 speed box that aby has. I,m used to where reverse is on 6 speed. The reverse on the 5 speed caught me out twice. One nearly shortened the front in a car park

Comment

Looks good! Jealous of the colour.

Once it is running properly get it chipped, then they start to shift, good performance gain for the cash as well. After that you are on a financial spiral of doom.
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

It is running perfectly now and when driven gently just using the torque i'm getting 30 plus mpg. I have no intention of getting it chipped to be honest i've done the re-map route on my A4, all i want from the S2 is it to look good and drive well.
                  What's the point in having such a pretty car when it's going too fast to see?
                  I still keep having to resist the baiting from Saxo and the like owners who haven't a clue what the car is. I sit there safe in the knowledge of what the car is capable of and save a fortune in fuel....
                  Don't get me wrong i like a spritied drive but have no desire to get more power from the car-just yet anyway.

I popped into my local VW dealer today. A couple of the techs were drooling over the car and asking to have a go which was pleasing.
                  Once i have a sunroof relay and a working sunroof i'll be satisfied.

Comment

Well I,m all excited I have a fully functioning sunroof. Guys at trust vw redditch came up trumps again. The little plastic clips that hold wind deflector arms are snapped so looks like new arms required but it still works. Just wanted to share my excitement.

Comment

You in Redditch? My cars down in bromsgrove. Will have to visit!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
                      1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

We could start the smallest Worcesterhsire meet mate. What's the motor doing in Dogsgrove then when you're in Northhampton? PM me anytime to if you're local. Steven.

Comment

Well i'm still tinkering with the S2. I have taken the car into a auto electrician and had the annoying Clifford Alarm set up to suit me. The most annoying alarms in the world!
                          I also replaced the roof aerial and lead and now have perfect radio reception, while i was at it i tidied up the stereo wiring properly.
                          Finally i replaced the rubber trims along the bottom of the doors and it's starting to really come on now. Oh and I am still enjoying the sunroof. Now all I need is the rain to stop.

Comment

Just an update for you. my S2 has been off the road for a month or so in that time i have had the front bumper and wing mirrors re painted and finally bolted the front bumper on correctly. It was very loose
                            . I recovered my roof lining. I had the drivers seat bottom bolster foam replaced, fitted my KW1 coilies and new top mounts. fitted a new rear diff seal and a couple of other little bits.

I am impressed with the KWs, the ride is more compliant than the original set up, a little less crashy which is what i wanted. the car feels more together.

I have bought a new brake bomb from quattro corner and will be fitting this when i get a moment. Hopefully that'll cure the annoying brake warning.

And finally yesterday she got a well deserved wax.

I'm considering a trip to the Nurburgring next year but would like to do a big brake conversion first. what do people recommend. PS it's needs to be relatively cheap..

Comment

some pics of the car as she stands at present. Back in the garage again at the moment for the brake upgrade.. Pics to follow.
                              Attached Files

Comment

For brakes, most use the 996 big brake upgrade with 314mm A8 discs. I can't comment on price of discs as I've yet to replace mine since purchasing the s2, but a set of front and rear pads(S2 ones) cost me just 96 euro(80GBP+/-) - Textar pads.

Callipers are the only expensive part as far as I'm aware. Brackets would also need to be fitted I imagine.

Also, I think minimum rim size would be 17", not sure if anyone has managed to get those big brakes into the standard 16" rims..

*EDIT: Didn't realise how long ago you posted about the brakes, I assume you went with the above upgrade
                                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                                X