• for the handles you should buy something like this:

http://www.superstrela.com/content/ba9s-6l-12v-cb

and for the other ones something like this:

http://www.superstrela.com/content/sj-3-12v-39mm
    Audi Quattro WR

Comment

• Flat top LEDs for window switches?

Hi

I am just about to re-lamp a whole new set of window switches, so that all are perfectly matched, but started wondering if the flat-top 3mm LEDs that are readily available now might give any advantage in the dispersion of light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-LED-3mm...item232a245aeb

Similarly, the "water-clear" LEDS that put out a red light ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-LED-3m...item3a79d55ac1

and there is even a combination of both available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-3mm-Re...item337c749bb9

Has anybody experimented with any of these variants please?

Life used to be so simple!
      hoarding Audi since 1983

Comment

• gave up waiting and used the "water-clear" red superbright leds

they are possibly almost too bright, but do look great. Probably quite a bit brighter than what was used in the photos earlier in this sticky

if only there was a way to make the mirror switch equally bright, but alas, no way to use leds in there (as has already been pointed out earlier in this thread)
        hoarding Audi since 1983

Comment

• It is possible to use LEDs in mirror switch, I've done it
          Bit hard to explain for me, but it's easy to do. You have to trace lightbulb circuit on board that's inside switch. Cut the circuit so bulbs (now LEDs) doesn't get +12v. Take two resistors, one for each LED and solder them from illumination pin (2) to each LED +. My camera battery died, I'll charge it and take pictures tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by mdz View Post
            It is possible to use LEDs in mirror switch, I've done it
            Bit hard to explain for me, but it's easy to do. You have to trace lightbulb circuit on board that's inside switch. Cut the circuit so bulbs (now LEDs) doesn't get +12v. Take two resistors, one for each LED and solder them from illumination pin (2) to each LED +. My camera battery died, I'll charge it and take pictures tomorrow
            Hi

Thanks for the reply

Yes, I can see how the LEDS could be fitted in there, and how they could be powered, but LEDS don't throw light sideways, as would be required in the case of the mirror switch?

I will be very interested to see how you were able to make it work
            hoarding Audi since 1983

Comment

• I used flat head LEDs. Depending on soldering skills you can use two SMD type LEDs in series and solder them to board in shape of triangle -> /\

Comment

• Originally posted by mdz View Post

I used flat head LEDs. Depending on soldering skills you can use two SMD type LEDs in series and solder them to board in shape of triangle -> /\

Thanks for that, but can you show me how well the brightness then matches up with the adjacent window switches, with them also fitted with LEDS?

The "light tunnel" that carries the light around inside the mirror switch relies on capturing light from the sides of the bulbs, and a LED projects its light upwards only

I have just tried doing this, the way you have shown, and there is no useful amount of red light at all making its way to the arrows on the button. Complete "fail"

I would love to see a photo of your assembled switch lit up with a good amount of illumination, because something is not right here?

Last edited by whatever2; 21 August 2013, 11:31.
                hoarding Audi since 1983

Comment

• thanks for posting....

i need to do that....

Comment

• 893 951 303 - perfect for my horns

Comment

• Cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                        Looks great Just out of interest looked up it's part number (893941529) and saw the other button in the picture below.

COOL, a button that turns on some James Brown

Jase..

(In reality a switch for two-way radio if anyone wonders)
                        COOL, a button that turns on some James Brown

Hahah, that is funniest thing I heard in while

Comment

• James Brown ♬TOO FUNKY IN HERE

Comment

• Images broken.
                            Considering I am using the B5 S4 shifter box , need to find an illuminated unit for the B5.
                            Issam N. Abed
                            iABED Industries
                            iABED Email | Facebook
                            The build thread

Comment

• Exciting. Honest. Interior lights. Removed under the steering wheel panel.

This is my RS2 footwell, you can see in the top right above the throttle, just above the large black loom wrap a green connector (not the one in front of it)

Here it is again on the top right of the pic here you can see the wires going in. These are coming from the timer for the interior lights.

There are two black/White wires coming out - these are live when the door is open, but switch off once the timer cuts the power.

I tapped into these to feed footwell lights.

Just thought I'd share this location as it's quite easy to get to.
                              Last edited by RudeCherub; 20 April 2015, 17:40.

Comment

• I have question about digital clock backlight. Is it possible change, or I must replace the entire clock?

E:
                                It was just one bulb near rev counter, now i can see clock at night too
                                Last edited by wex; 28 August 2015, 11:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X