Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david: look at the wires on the connector. to test bulbs use the brown-ground, black blue-switched 12v.
    Audi Quattro WR

Comment

• Skull,

Agreed, but i have a load of centre console switches and a set of driver's door handle switches from the breakers and I wanted to test them on the bench rather than have to disturb/take out the ones on the daily driver S2.

Was just wondering which numbers on the back of the switch were the correct ones to use for + and - so as not to blow a switch needlessly.

As I said lazy.

BTW and this is not pressure, but looking forward to the photos of your car with the Avus on now that you have the front 5 x 112 hubs, whenever you complete the work.

Kind regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post

Being lazy, Jas11n can you indulge me and advise what colour the wire is in the factory loom and where in the factory loom do you recommend to tap into it to make use of the speed / volume facility of the Becker?
        Splice the Gala wire into the brown/red wire that goes into the blue 26-pin connector on the rear of the clocks. It's in my Becker fitting thread.
        I eventually turned it off in the menu's, nifty for a while but then got on my nerves, especially in moderate stop start traffic.

Secondly, earlier in this thread as you so helpfully gave the Maplins ref numbers for the various switch's LED / bulbs, can you recommend a HID style light colour LED bulb to replace the standard bullet shaped bulbs in the interior lights? I know it may have been covered elsewhere, but this is turning into one hell of a sticky, at this stage?
        I bought one off ebay a while back, IIRC it's a 38mm festoon in the front middle interior light, can't remember the rear. Pop the diffusers off and measure them.
        I junked it after a couple of weeks, the light output is pants, and sort of cold and hard. If you catch me.
        I like the warm glow from the normal filament bulbs.

One last point, can you advise what terminals on the back of the switches does one use to check if the new LED / bulb is working before putting them back into the car? This query also applies to the mirror and window switches in the driver's door handle.
        Terminals for the window switch are shown further back, mirror switch are the two arrowed (doesn't matter which way you check unless you use LED's.)
        With the exception of the difflock illumination and "maybe" the later seat heater switch (with that really crowded PCB) none of the switches on the dash will be harmed by probing with a 12v power source.
        I can't remember them all now and can't really be bothered to go remove them all again

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

• Sorted the illumination in the difflock switch of my bro's S2 Coupe the other week, while he sat and watched,
          then........
          Phone conversation went a little something like this a day later.

Bro; Jase? How do you get the mirror switch to light up?

Me; It has two bulbs inside the switch, jump on the net and check your emails, I've sent you a link to the thread with pictures and so on, easy enough, use two of the handful of small bulbs I gave you the other day.

Bro; Oh man, I can't be ársed to go look online, can you come down and do them?

Me; No, I've had a couple of drinks, so can't drive and I ain't walking down. Bring em up here and I'll do it for you.

Bro; Can't be bothered, I'll just go suss it out. How hard can it be??

Me; Be careful, small springs and tiny ball bearings want to launch themselves into orbit after passing through your eyeballs first.

Bro; I'm not a kid you know, I can do stuff on my own, numpty boy.

Me; You'll be ok then, won't you?? lmfao.

.................................................. .................................................. ........

This was his attempt

Board completely fubar, ball bearings and springs lodged in his eyes
          Big **** off screwdriver + delicate switch + sausage fingered impatient club hands = F.U.B.A.R.

New one sourced and now fitted in his car.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

• not good, still at least it was something that was able to be sourced and does make a difference once done

Comment

• LMAO!
              Classic, can't stop laughing really, epic fail!

Not that I would do any better
              Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
              http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

• Lol!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                  Also bought the two way radio button too (waiting for it to arrive), has "FUNK" on the front of it. Got a plan for that one
                  Just to update the thread: found the "FUNK" button from scrapyard few days ago. Got it almost free with the stalk set i bought
                  (I have no idea what to do with it yet, but I just could not leave it there)

Not fully into the topic, but if anyone wants to have independent control for headlight washers, then get this one. It's from audi 100/A6, and the round button is for intensive wash. As far as I know this feature was not used in B platform cars, so it's a perfect candidate for this job. I'm going to control it via a relay, it should not be too difficult to hook up

Comment

• Very good job!
                    Some time ago I made the same one, similar.
                    But I use leds for the indoor lights and I change the speedometer´s bulbs, the clima panel bulbs and ALL GAUGE´s bulbs for leds too.

Very red
                    photobucket SUCKS
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hi Jase

Been catching up with this thread.... Great reading...

Inspired me to try and sort out my cars blown bulbs.... I have one question - My Fan switch seem to have a bulb out where the III bar is...

Have you tried to replace one of these???

All my switches are incandesent bulbs as its a 1993 Reg...

I have done the headlight adjuster bulb today and its is different from any of the ones I have seel listed on here... It has what seems to be a thick metal plate that the bulbs are soldered to...Wierd... Also the 0 setting don't light up but 1-3 do!!! Strange!!!

Great Read As I Said!!!

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

• Fan switch is easy peasy, pull off the three knobs with a cloth and pair of pliers, remove the two screws hidden under each knob and the face plate will come off. Inside there are three small wedge bulbs.
                        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                          I have done the headlight adjuster bulb today and its is different from any of the ones I have seel listed on here... It has what seems to be a thick metal plate that the bulbs are soldered to...Wierd... Also the 0 setting don't light up but 1-3 do!!! Strange!!!

I only noticed this on my S2 this week for some weird reason - it is stupidly annoying that the numbers only light up when moved off the 0 position, but thats obviously the way they intended it to be.
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                            I only noticed this on my S2 this week for some weird reason - it is stupidly annoying that the numbers only light up when moved off the 0 position, but thats obviously the way they intended it to be.
                            Thats odd, the 0 lights up on my headlight adjuster, but not on the heated seat switches....

Comment

• Paul, this is perfect for your switchable map ECU

Comment

• Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                                Fan switch is easy peasy, pull off the three knobs with a cloth and pair of pliers, remove the two screws hidden under each knob and the face plate will come off. Inside there are three small wedge bulbs.
                                Thanks - Will have a look at the weekend!!!

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Working...
                                X