Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont wanna be the partybreaker, but what is the wattage of the new bulb? That is a tiny space, and it could melt the plastic. this bulb is on all the time, dunno if it is a good thing...

just my 2€
    Audi Quattro WR

Comment

• Like your thinking...

Set yourself up somewhere with plenty of light and space, tie the other half up and gag her, then lock the dog away.

Whoops wrong forum...

Could bend the legs of an LED to point in the right direction if you wanted to match the rest of the lumens...

Stunning...you should do the manuals for Audi.
      Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

• 1.1 watt, same as what came out. I tried to get a picture of the text on the side of the bulb, but way to small for the camera.
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

• Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
          Set yourself up somewhere with plenty of light and space, tie the other half up and gag her, then lock the dog away.

Whoops wrong forum...
          :mischeif: :mischeif:
          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Nice Post re the Switch

as per usual, Jas11n.

Good enough to be taken out and make a sticky by a mod in it's own right?

Thanks again.

Comment

• All the illumination in my mirror switch in the S2 has gone, but it's winter and that means dark nights. By the time I get in from work, the light is too poor for me to start messing around taking the inner door handle off to remove it.
              That's a job for tomorrow after a trip to Maplins, I'm off work (Four day week for the next five weeks)....whoo hoo.

Tonight though, I thought I'd dismantle a window switch and document the process, along with changing out the old LED and replacing with a new one.
              The switch plate and switch I had spare after fitting opening rear windows to the S2 a couple of months back.
              The S2's four switches are all working fine, nice and shiny bright, but I still wanted to see how these things are put together. I like to mess

So, after you've removed the switch plate from the door, you then need to remove the switch itself. Flip it over and get a blade down the side of the switch, push the switch down from the top side and it'll come out. It can be tight.

Now you need to remove the rocker plate on the top. Again get a balde and slide it down the side, not very far, but just enough so you see one side pop up.

Note for reference later, the earth terminal is number 3 and the 12v illumination terminal is number 4. You'll need to know this to get the correct polarity of the LED. The anode (12v in) is the longer leg of the LED, the cathode (earth) is the shorter leg of the LED.

Now you need to get the internal workings out of the switch body. There's four tabs on the inner plastic, that are snapped behind four tabs on the inside of the black body. You need to use something like some small terminal drivers to raise the black switch body up and carefully start to push the switch down from the top (or pull from the terminals at the bottom.) Don't lose heart, it comes out eventually.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• All out and ready for surgery;

Here's the replacement LED. It's a 3mm 12v superbright LED from Maplins (the same LED I use to replace peoples outside temp gauge illumination) It has an inbuilt resistor too. Link to the code from Maplins >>> CJ70M

Now I roughly copied the shape the original LED's legs had been bent to;

Removed the old LED and it's resistor, then soldered on the new one. REMEMBER to get the polarity right, short leg to earth.

Once both legs had been soldered on, I checked it was ok with a 12v power source;

Then reassembled the the switch making sure the LED was lined up right;

Don't forget when refitting the rocker plate, to get it the right way round, the white protrusion on it's underside goes to the LED end;

Recheck to make sure it's looking ok;

Done, reverse removal to fit the switch back in the switch plate, then back out to the car to refit it.

Jase..
                Last edited by Jas11n; 21 November 2008, 11:56. Reason: spelling DOH
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Excellent write up on the window switch. That's a job that need doing on my car sometime soon...
                  1990 urquattro 20v
                  2006 A6 Dagger

Comment

• Jase,

Just what a I needed as a few of mine are blown.

BTW How does one determine which leg of the new LED is which as at the outset both appear to be the same length?, or did I miss something?

Kind regards.

Comment

• Short leg is easily distinguishable mate .

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Thanks

It is when is is pointed out to the fella with the glasses.

Thanks again, great thread, latest addition.

Can't be much left on this car now? - Famous last words?

Question now in thread here: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=361453

Apologies if this is covered elesewhere on this forum?

Thanks.
                        Last edited by macspring; 5 July 2011, 00:22.

Comment

• Nicely documented!

I need to get my termperature gauge out and having seen your diff lock pictures mines not lighting up either!

It was wicked to see your car in the flesh at the harrogate meet btw, and good to meet you also!
                          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                            Nicely documented!

I need to get my termperature gauge out and having seen your diff lock pictures mines not lighting up either!

It was wicked to see your car in the flesh at the harrogate meet btw, and good to meet you also!
                            Good to meet you too again Andy.
                            I'm off to Maplins to stock up on LED's and bulbs tomorrow (got no bulbs left and down to the last 15 LED's), once you get your ATD unit and difflock switch out, if you want to send them to me I'll replace everything with new. Three new bulbs in the difflock switch and either an LED or bulb in the ATD, your choice mate.
                            I've not charged anyone yet and I'm not about to start

Jase..
                            2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by David in Dublin
                              If anyone else has any comments, please feel free to post.

Kind regards.
                              In another thread though
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Thread tidied up!
                                The Perfectionist
                                sigpic
                                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                X