X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    Thanks Jase, i'll see you on Saturday

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
    No worries matey, just posted the one I could find. It is dirty, but should clean up OK and it has a broken spring leg which I plastic welded back on so be careful, you'll see what I mean....should be OK though.

Keep your grey ones in case your bro or I want to do the backs ones

Cheers n

Si
    Yeah, those little spring legs are a bit delicate
    Thanks again Si

Jase..
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

• Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
      No worries matey, just posted the one I could find. It is dirty, but should clean up OK and it has a broken spring leg which I plastic welded back on so be careful, you'll see what I mean....should be OK though.

Keep your grey ones in case your bro or I want to do the backs ones

Cheers n

Si
      Arrived in the mail today Si. Thanks again, very kind of you.
      All the other little bits and pieces arrived today from vagparts, just need to fit em in now.

Jase..
      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
        Arrived in the mail today Si. Thanks again, very kind of you.
        All the other little bits and pieces arrived today from vagparts, just need to fit em in now.

Jase..
        No worries matey (I must find its brother). I just hope it cleans up and that my plastic welding is up to your super high standards

Cheers n

Si
        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

• Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
          I just hope it cleans up and that my plastic welding is up to your super high standards

Si
          Didn't snap off, so perfect standard for me matey

So, I got these done this afternoon, in between pulling Sooty's stalks apart

Easy job. Power taken from the rear light as said further back in the post. It has a spare position for another connector, I suspect rear grab handle lights would have been taken from here at the factory, the front centre light has a spare position too. So removed rear trim, led wiring to each side and down the length of the car behind the side roof trim and into the back of grab handles. Having the right OEM wiring/pins and connectors made the job a piece of cake. I had to extend said OEM wires, as Si says above, they are only 50cm long, but that's no big deal.

Ignore the red lights, not got that far yet.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• 2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Is the diff lock switch panel meant to light up like that or have you modified it to do so?
              1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
              1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
              2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
              1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

• that is meant to light up like that

Comment

• Originally posted by YELL MAN View Post
                  Is the diff lock switch panel meant to light up like that or have you modified it to do so?
                  They are meant to be lit up like that mate. If yours don't, one or more of the three bulbs inside will have blown
                  2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                    that is meant to light up like that
                    Damn i was afraid of that now i am going to have to fix it or it will be eating away at my soul for ever more. Ha Ha the fix list never ends.
                    Damn S2's
                    1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
                    1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                    2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                    1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

Still not 100% dark
                      Excuse picture quality, it's a bit hard trying to hold the camera VERY still one handed, no flash, whilst sat in the back seat, your other hand stretched out to the front while still trying to see the camera screen

You could probably get some black rubber grommets to fit inside the holes. It would clean up the edges and still allow light through the panel.
                      I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

• hmm

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                        They are meant to be lit up like that mate. If yours don't, one or more of the three bulbs inside will have blown
                        took a look at mine, since it does not light up, no light bulbs just a small red diodes
                        japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
                        www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

• Originally posted by urquattro-island View Post
                          took a look at mine, since it does not light up, no light bulbs just a small red diodes
                          Strange, changed a few in the past and have all been bulbs.
                          Remove the diodes and fit bulbs instead?
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• newer part came with LEDs.Mine was bashed and bought a new part from audi back in greece

Comment

• Everyday is a learning day. They must have changed it due to bulbs blowing, but then the LED's can go too it seems, going off urquattro-island post.

@ Josh, to be honest mate, I don't notice it. How often do we look up at the light? well I don't. Until mentioned again here, I've not noticed since doing it.

.................................................. .................................................. ............

Might as well stick this in here. I thought this run-through was on 20v.org, but it's not. The seat heater switch illumination fix is on there, but not the headlamp level switch.
                              Although all the work in this thread has been done on the S2, the TDi level switch light has been out since I bought it.
                              Finally got round to fixing it tonight.
                              Run through below for the archives.

Remove the switch from the car.
                              Set yourself up somewhere with plenty of light and space, tie the other half up and gag her, then lock the dog away. It's a fiddly little bügger and you could do without distractions.

Remove the front off the switch.

You'll need to get a couple of small screwdrivers and lift the main black body of the switch up at the rear over the tangs, then slide the internals out from the rear. The two small spring clips on the side will fall out too. Just note how they are in there first off.

Now you need to pry out the back piece on the side, it just slides out upwards.

Now flip it over. You'll note everything is soldered on on the topside, not underneath like most PCB's.
                              The red arrows point to the legs that come through from the main red reflector. They are knurled over. I used a knife the cut the knurled part off each leg. Later when it's put back together, there's no problem of it coming loose as it's inside the main body of the switch. Also note the bulbs legs poking through (green arrows)

Now you need to flip it back over the other side, and carefully remove the red reflector straight up. BE CAREFUL here, see the small indentations around the top of the rotary wheel. On the underside of the red reflector is a small ball bearing that slots in these small indentations, making the wheel stop at each position you select when adjusting the lights.
                              Again, BE CAREFUL, you don't want to lose it.

Now you can see the bulb

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• I chose to use another bulb instead of replacing with a longer lasting LED. Reason? this switch seems to need it's illumination to come from the side. an LED is fussy in that it's very one directional in it's aim, in this case straight up. I used a 5mm wedge bulb that are used in some of the other dash switch, the ashtray light, the aux gauge lights and cig lighter etc.
                                Just bend out the folded over legs.
                                Here's the old bulb insoldered and the new one in place and checked to make sure it was lighting up.

Now reassmeble everything, to stop the tiny ball bearing from falling out when upside down, I used a tiny little speck of grease to hold it in it's little seat.
                                Again, checked to make sure it was all ok.

Excuse poor picture, my camera will not focus very well in the dark

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Working...
                                X