Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After running them for a few weeks now on the interior light circuit, I've decided I want them on the window circuit instead

Now I'm not sure of other models in the range, but my 95 S2's power windows work like this (my old Coupes were slightly different, more at the end)

Get in the car and switch the ignition on and the window/sunroof circuit is live. Switch the ignition off and the windows will remain live "until" you open either of the front doors. Then the power is cut.

I've not needed to remove the door cards this time. When fitting them the other week I'd run the wire past the switches for the windows and cabled tied it to the cabling there. All I needed to do this time was remove the inner handle to expose the switch wiring, cut and seal off the end of the wiring I'd run to the interior through the rubber boot, as I'll use this later for the door marker lights.
    The other ends coming from the LED's at the door pull, were then connected to the switches wiring after I'd identified the correct wires.

Now when I switch the ignition on, the door pulls light up. When I come to a stop and switch off, they remain on until I open the door.
    On the passenger side I tapped into the green wire and the red/blue wire.
    On the drivers side I tapped into the passenger side switch, wire colours green/black and red/blue.
    Again, there may be differences on other models. I used a wiring probe to determine which I used ( I bought one Vasilis .)

Ok, my old Coupe's (2.3e and cq20v).
    They were slightly different in that when removing the key from the ignition, they remained on even when the door was opened, only going off when the door was then closed again.

One last thing, if manoeuvring a box of 360 pieces of wiring terminals across from one side of the car to the other, don't knock the box into the steering wheel on the way past, and spill ALL 360 of them on the car floor
    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Hmmm i'll have to check how mine is done for when we attempt this.

Was a bit confused for a minute about the window switch panel then remembered you have to fit yours yet. Surprised you have not done it yet

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
        Hmmm i'll have to check how mine is done for when we attempt this.

Was a bit confused for a minute about the window switch panel then remembered you have to fit yours yet. Surprised you have not done it yet
        I'm now on holiday for two weeks
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Next on the list, rear ashtray illumination. I've yet to see one of these illuminated from the factory, even though the little orange opaque cap is present inside the ashtray. Maybe a USA only thing??

Ok, another 5mm superbright LED used for this same as used for the glovebox handle.
          Wire tapped from the glovebox feed again and routed from the rear ashtray down behind the rear centre console, front centre console and then up behind the glovebox. These LED's consume a very small amount of power so I'm not worried about having three items (boost gauge LED, Glovebox handle LED and now rear ashtray LED) being fed from one source.
          Securing the LED in the recess for the ashtray was a right royal PITA. Trying to get it far enough back to as not to foul the ashtray itself, along with trying to get it into the right position to shine through the opaque window...........f*** me what a faff on. Especially when you have bloke fingers.
          Eventually got it where I wanted it, then held it in the right position with some glue from a hot melt glue gun. It's strong enough to hold it there, yet weak enough to easily be removed if needed.

Light off;

Light on;

More later when it's dark.

Jase..
          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Nice work Jas!
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Opps, forgot to update this.
              I'm laid off actually fitting anything at the minute, but I can't just sit around twiddling my thumbs can I?

Door markers lights.
              I've tried various types from different Audi models, even a couple from non audi models. All were slightly to large for what I wanted. Even then, why mess on when I can use some lights I already have.
              Problem though, they are the clear lights used in the boot of the Coupes and 80/90's, the same as I used for the rear footwell lights further back in this thread.
              Yeah I suppose I could have used a red bulb, but I wanted a red lense.
              Step forward my mate Andy who has some red bulb dip he bought years ago.
              Andy kindly dipped these for me the other day.
              Turned out way way better than I expected Spot on.
              When I'm back mobile enough to whip the door cards off, I'll cut a neat hole out of the end of the door card and fit these. Wired up the internal lights circuit. I already have some wiring ready inside from when I had the interior handles on that circuit.

Some piccies.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

My old 2.3e and the cq20v had these. Remember asking my dad if he spec'ed them when he bought the 2.3e new, but he said he didn't.
                S2 doesn't have them? so maybe they were standard at first then became and option? No idea.

Anyhoo, saw some on fleabay, and bought em. Advert said four lights, picture showed three (four handles but three lights)
                Of course I only got the three lights and four handles, to be expected from the ebay pillock I got them from (only one ebay numpty selling audi bits :evil: I'll learn the hard way )

There are two versions of the grab handles lights;

Fronts have a three position switch 1/ on and off with the door, 2/ off completely and 3/ permanently on.
                The rear have a two position switch 1/ Off completely and 2/ permanently on.

"Luckily" I got two fronts and one rear. Just as well as I'm not too fussed about rear grab handle lights, though if I'd had the whole lot I would have fitted them.

They are the wrong colour for my trim, being grey (I have ecru beige) but then I'm not fitting the whole grab handle, just the lights themselves.
                If you didn't have them fitted from the factory, there is a blanking plate which can be removed, then the lights clipped in.
                I'm going to have a grey switch against the beige grab handle, but it's not too noticeable.

Now I noticed right back at the beginning when fitting the first set of footwell lights, that the rear light in the centre of the roof had an extra set of pins and socket for another connector with power going to them. That then stabbed a memory of Si (Hpmuirt) asking about this ages ago.
                All I'm going to do is use the correct connector plug and run two sets of wiring from that to the new grab handle lights, one set of wiring down each side of the roof trim to the new lights. I've tracked down in the FA (confirmed by Andy from a V8's wiring loom, they used the same grab handle lights) the correct three pin connectors that plug into the rear of the lights.The same connector that's used for the additional position on the centre rear light is the same as the one that fits these grab handle lights.
                I could solder directly to the pins and cover with heatshrink but it's nice to use the correct connectors and proper pins.
                They'll be coming from vagparts some time this week.

The three extra terminals and space for an extra connector on the centre rear light;

The grab handle and lights, you can see the blanking plates used when not fitted from the factory.

My grab handles with blanking plate;

And with a light fitted. Easy to do, remove two screw cover caps, remove two screws and grab handle pulls away (Just quickly fitted to show what they look like and the grey switch over the beige handle. Not too bad really). It's not wired up yet until the connectors arrive.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

I'm seriously going to have to start writing down a list for all this as I want to get it all done, I've got the wiring your on about as I stripped it out a 2litre 8v I helped strip so i'll put the wiring in whilst i'm doing my headlining.

Looking good tho, I will have a look I "might" have a pair of the beige switches as i've got a few odd things lying around like some handles etc and 2x rotary commander panels.

Comment

Nice work Jase - i've got these in my car from when I fitted a platium headlining - but never wired them up.

Can you let me know the part numbers for the pins and plugs?
                    Also I couldn't work out what bulbs went in them, i think its a weird small bayonette type
                    One of my rear switches is broken so why not donate your lonely little rear one to me?

Pete - you haven't got a platium grey rotary comander have you by any chance?
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• The connectors are 191 906 231B and you'll need three pins per connector (or only two for a rear two position switch) which are 000 979 133
                      The pins come with about 30cm of wire attached, in the standard wire repair colour of yellow

The bulbs are standard BA9's, as you say a small bayonet bulb. The same bulbs that are used in the rear number plate light

You are welcome to the two position rear switch if you want it Alex, no use to me and was just going to get chucked in a spares box.

Jase..
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        Pete - you haven't got a platium grey rotary comander have you by any chance?
                        Yes he has, but he is part exhanging it for a VDO boost gauge so

Cheers n

Si
                        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                          They are the wrong colour for my trim, being grey (I have ecru beige). I'm going to have a grey switch against the beige grab handle, but it's not too noticeable.
                          Nice work as always Jas. I did this last year and also ended up with some grey and some beige lights, probably from the same source I have the grey trim, but I can only find one beige switch at the moment. I'll drop it in the post to you today and if I find the other one then it will follow.

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                          Now I noticed right back at the beginning when fitting the first set of footwell lights, that the rear light in the centre of the roof had an extra set of pins and socket for another connector with power going to them. That then stabbed a memory of Si (Hpmuirt) asking about this ages ago.
                          Yup, that's what I did (the front interior light also has a spare connector)

I bought some empty 3 pin connectors and some pre-wired pins. I don't understand why Audi only pre wire the pins with 50cm of yellow wire so I simply spliced in a length of wire between 2 pre-wired pins which gave me long enough lenghts to go from the spare connector on the interior light to the connector in the courtesy lights.

Cheers n

Si

P.S. Hope the back is getting better

Comment

• Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
                            Nice work as always Jas. I did this last year and also ended up with some grey and some beige lights, probably from the same source I have the grey trim, but I can only find one beige switch at the moment. I'll drop it in the post to you today and if I find the other one then it will follow.

Yup, that's what I did (the front interior light also has a spare connector)

I bought some empty 3 pin connectors and some pre-wired pins. I don't understand why Audi only pre wire the pins with 50cm of yellow wire so I simply spliced in a length of wire between 2 pre-wired pins which gave me long enough lenghts to go from the spare connector on the interior light to the connector in the courtesy lights.

Cheers n

Si

P.S. Hope the back is getting better
                            Wow, thanks Si. Much appreciated

With all this stuff I've been doing, I've gotten sick of buying silly little rolls of wire, so got some of this off ebay ►►► >>here<<
                            I think 100m should last a while

Just wish I could get on with it, still need to fit a boost gauge to the TDi too.

Back is getting there thanks mate.

Jase..
                            2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
                              Yes he has, but he is part exhanging it for a VDO boost gauge so

Cheers n

Si
                              Damb you funny man!

Thanks Jase, i'll see you on Saturday
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                                Wow, thanks Si. Much appreciated
                                No worries matey, just posted the one I could find. It is dirty, but should clean up OK and it has a broken spring leg which I plastic welded back on so be careful, you'll see what I mean....should be OK though.

Keep your grey ones in case your bro or I want to do the backs ones

Cheers n

Si

Comment

Working...
                                X