No announcement yet.

Giving the S2 some love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday late afternoon project was to clean everything up before putting the bumper back on.... It came up well.

Took it for a test run an took some pictures whilst I was at it.

85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Very nice.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Very nice I think I will copy you with what you’ve done on your engine bay but without the new hoses just needs a good clean might get that done before it’s paint job. Love your Avant

Comment

• Two years! Two bloomin’ years since the turbo was fitted and I’ve finally got full boost. Huge thanks to John’s (newish) posts and indeed everyone who has methodically itemised their boost problems over the years. I’ve read them all.Having spent a fair wedge on new boost pipes, a spare ECU, N75 and MFTS I was running out of options. Then John posted this on Dave’s thread...

[quote]This is weird.
          If you remove the N75 and fit a manual boost controller you should be able to turn the boost up. So there must be something physically wrong.
          WG is very worn and opening itself by leaking through the valve guide.
          You have a leak which blows above 0.7bar (but I’m sure you would hear that whooshing)
          DV is broken or plumbed wrong.[\quote]

And that got me thinking about DV control.

This morning I replaced all the vacuum pipes and found a couple of life expired ones and then, the smoking gun. The vacuum pipe was off the DV and neatly tucked into the wiring loom clip. Pound to a penny it’s been like that since the turbo change.

Methodically tested and checked everything again and then went for a run. Wham, straight up to full boost, no hesitation, bang!

First time in 2-years.

John, you utter star, thank you. As indeed is this forum for having such a huge breadth of knowledge and technical data....

I’m a happy man today...

As John suspected, the inlet manifold pipes were just toast.

Renewed all the main sections, here’s just a bit of it.

Then found this hiding in the wiring loom clip.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Well done. Fantastic. Beer or two tonight called for
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
              Well done. Fantastic. Beer or two tonight called for
              Oh god yes Dave,I am so going to have a beer later. Thank you for letting me highjack your thread over the last couple of days.

It goes to show, I bought a souped up turbo that led to a Roose boost pipes kit, turbosmart, 034 wastegate spring, N300 ECU, N75, MFTS and it was just the DV installed incorrectly.

The turbosmart and 034 spring are now consigned to the spare parts pile.
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I’ve wound the wastegate spring out a bit (it did have the 034 heavy duty spring), and it is stable at full boost, which is right up there at about 1.2 bar above atmospheric. Been out again in it and it’s driving lovely, boosts so strong and early, 2krpm and it is already going for it. My destroyer of worlds is back.
                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                  My destroyer of worlds is back.
                  It's what it's all about !!

Comment

• Super pleased I could help mate

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Glad you got it running right mate,but two years?!!! lol
                      Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
                      Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
                      Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

• Originally posted by bertman View Post
                        Glad you got it running right mate,but two years?!!! lol
                        I know! [said in a Frankie Howerd voice]

The “excuse” is that I’m driving it less and less and when I do it’s more old fart driving with an arthritic Border Collie in the back on local jaunts AND I’ve really not had tinker time from work and other domestic millstones until this August - a beneficial byproduct of Covid-19 and a bunch of leave to use up.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Thats been a journey, glad its flying again!
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• No photos sadly but the old girl had a really good blast today. Normally it’s geriatric Collie walkies, local stuff or, like the last fortnight, nothing at all. It’s not ideal and I’d noticed a slightly irregular idle and sooty exhaust over the last few weeks with a marginally up and down performance, ‘lethargic’ sums it up.

So, the opportunity arose today for an Italian tune up. I warmed it up gently on the outrun, then utterly, utterly mullered it. My destroyer of worlds cleared its lungs, plugs, pipes and breathers and opened up into that monster of old. It’s got some great boost going on with the hybridisation on the turbo and it hauls...properly hauls. I’m currently running the Nothelle ECU vice MTM and I’ve got to say it’s ‘gooood’... It’s a happy car and owner tonight.
                            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                              Italian tune up.
                              Is there a better cure?.....

Comment

• Lovely. Those guys at Nothelle did a dam good job. I must pay them a visit next year
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X