No announcement yet.

Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so contrary to what I said earlier, the hose/pipe is available, just over £100 from an agent in Germany, that sources from audi tradition, got one on the way.

I just want this thing to work

I'm taking the car off the road for a couple/three of weeks and will be driving around in a 1953 split screen Moggy Traveller in the mean time - can't be too comfy or will never go back

Job list while off the road:

All 4 front CV joints
    Front strut mounts
    Front bumpstops
    Fix clutch hydraulics
    Investigate clunk from rear suspension (probably drop link)
    Check out propshaft and refurb if needed

Then a fresh MOT, followed by an alignment.

Only reason I'm taking it off the road is due to time to get the parts to me, otherwise I'd do it over a day/couple of evenings.

... And NO, this won't turn into a 5 year restoration project

Comment

• 'won't turn into a 5 year restoration project'

I look forward to the restoration thread

Comment

• A month at the very max

Comment

• Don't check your under seal while under the car... I found some peeling off the underside of the boot floor and all sorts of ferrous oxide horrors lurking underneath, you can see how much rot had to be cut out ​​​​​​
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Thanks for the pointer, I will certainly not do that

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
              I have been running the RED STUFF pads in the front for about 5K now, they are excellent, not difference in normal road conditions, and once hot, continue performing very well. The bonus is my wheels stay nice and clean!
              I'm not hard on brakes but do like clean wheels!!......can you tell me the part no. for the pads?

Comment

• Linky: https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/info-...e=2.3+20v&bhp=

Part number: DP3711C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post

Comment

• My coupe clutch has just started doing the same, got in the car Friday and it was on the floor. Pulled it up by hand and it worked but feels unpredictable, sometimes having to hook it up with my foot.
                    It’s ages since I did anything to it so I’ve ordered both cylinders, slave from eBay and master from Autodoc.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Sucks doesn't it! It is that feeling of impending doom.

I suspect I will end up replacing at least one of them as well, first job is to remove and inspect the seals and respective pushrods.

Refitting the slave is NOT a fun job... But will be easier with the driveshaft out.

Comment

• Just had a look at the master, no sign of leakage, there’s wetness down the LH side of the gearbox but the rack is weeping a bit so hard to what’s going on.
                        I’m getting too old for this ****

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• All sounds very, very familiar! Rack leaks and slave definitely does!

Today I pulled the front struts out (with hubs so as not to totally screw the alignment), removed the driveshafts, and removed the clutch slave cylinder.

CV joints are mullered

I disassembled the slave cylinder to find not a lot wrong, apart from a couple of marks on the seal. Now I am torm, do I just put a seal kit in it?

Also removed the mullered top mounts, and will fit new Meyle HD mounts and see how I get on with them. Bit of a surprise when I opened the box, they are made by INA!

Also fixed the Moggy brakes, so it doesn't spear me into oncoming traffic when I brake hard. Which is nice.
                          Last edited by Bowie69; 15 April 2019, 10:12.

Comment

• Well I can't find a slave seal kit, so that kind of answers that question.

Comment

• Going back through the thread, it was 4 years ago last time I replaced the slave.

Not terrible, but given the first one lasted 24 years I'm disappointed!

Comment

• There’s a few slaves on eBay and Autodoc ,
                                You can get a genuine Sachs but not cheap..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X