No announcement yet.

Ruby Red Audi S2 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As posted by Dave, its the turbo coolant return line which ends in a banjo bolt on the water manifold. item 27 http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/72682.phtml

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

thanks see it now
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Lovely motor there Michael, look forward to seeing it at Creiff.

1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
        2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
        1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
        1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
        2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
        1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
        2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
        1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
          I have a coolant leak on the avant:

Definately coming from the area pictured. Its dry from the thermostat housing up.

By the time i got everything off out the way to investigate, it was nearly dried up... i'm not sure if its coming from the thermostat housing or the small pipe. Guess its best to take the housing off and have a look.

Have read about the small pipe leaking but has anyone heard of leaks from thermostat housing?
          Bl**dy H*ll, that whole area looks well sh*tted up!!
          I pressure-washed under-bonnet a few times myself, but obviously couldn't get at that bit. It also explains why i needed to top up the expansion tank (2-3 times) during my 2 years with her. Hope you get it sorted Bud.
          (If you ever get her on a Dyno, I'd LOVE to see the figures)
          One other thing- now that you have good access to that area, it reminds me that I did a Temp repair of the cables to the MFTS (again- access is a nightmare unless radiator out). May be worth spending half an hour on this.

Comment

I'll give the area a clean best i can, i think theres been a small water leak for a while because theres a lot of build up of silty/rusty stuff around the housing.

Originally posted by fourwh33ldriv3 View Post
            Lovely motor there Michael, look forward to seeing it at Creiff.

Crieff is looking unlikely for me now
            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Howay Michael work your magic lol!! was looking forward to seeing this!!

Comment

Glad i checked the hose UrS4boy and Newsh pointed out to me... i think this is the source of my leak. I previously posted that it wasn't wet above thermostat housing but checking again it is definately wet around this hose.

I will change this hose, thermostat, thermostat seal and also the other small hose to thermostat. I will clean up the oil sensors, maybe i should replace them since i have everything out the way, but i have to draw a line somewhere.

If anyone wants a laugh... the hose that ends in a banjo bolt i only need 160mm. Audi quote: ÂŁ17.01 per metre but its special order so i'd need to order 5m = ÂŁ85.05

I will order the roose ancilary kit which looks to include these 2 hoses... i presume these are suitable for this?
                1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Definitely go with the silicone kit. You'll never have to deal with another coolant hose leak again. As I'm sure you've been informed, that is a very common pipe to leak and recommended to be replaced every cambelt change. Mine has a samco hose fitted which looks like new, fitted in 2006.
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Wish I had done mine during the cambelt change. Had to do it about 6 weeks later after it started leaking at the RR day... bitch of a job from the top, but I managed it....
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                      Wish I had done mine during the Campbell change. Had to do it about 6 weeks later after it started leaking at the RR day... birch of a job from the top but I managed it....
                      Bit of predictive text going on there?

Not to go off topic (I'll save it for my thread) but I would like to know how you got on with the cambelt change Steve! Garage meet at my place
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

My last 2 days in work have been a b*tch, but having just spent the last 5 mins looking at photo #13 (2nd pic), it's put a smile on my face again, altho I'm still not sure about those alloys

I hope you sort the coolant issues soon!

Enjoy her, Mike

Comment

Is this Dests old car? Bodywork looks stunning. Looks like you've had a PAS fluid leak for a couple of decades down there
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Is this Dests old car? Bodywork looks stunning. Looks like you've had a PAS fluid leak for a couple of decades down there
                            From memory-Yes (And Newsh????) (And Mine)

Comment

Never mine this one but it is a beauty

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Michael, don't forget to clean and retorque the knock sensors

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X