No announcement yet.

Ruby Red Audi S2 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox is now much smoother after the fluid change. Just slips into gear much nicer, before a bit of effort was needed.

One of my front shocks was absolutely goosed, so replaced both fronts and it is much nicer to drive, corners much flatter. New top mounts at the same time. I'll try and post a photo of the top mounts they were knackered.
    1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
        Got my car back today. Turns out my timing was 1 tooth out and it does seem to be going that bit better.

One rather odd thing is there was a spacer behind the crank pulley which the mechanic said should not be there. This was causing my timing belt to run out of line with the cam pulley. This has obviously been like this for a long time, i had noticed that the belt has eaten through the front cover a bit, but i thought maybe the cover was deformed rather than the belt wasn't running true.

I supplied a new pulley and bolt, but when he fitted these without the spacer the engine wouldn't turn over (by hand). So he made a much smaller shim than the spacer previously fitted and the engine turned over and belt is now perfectly aligned with cam pulley.

Just wondered if anyone has heard of this has before?
        Hi Mike,
        A tooth out???
        I didn't change the belt during my time with her, which points towards it being a tooth out during that period! I think we both know that there was no shortage of Horses then. Doesn't make sense
        Is she a bit quicker now, or a LOT quicker??

It's also about time you brought her back down South for me (and probably Kit) to see her again, Eh?????

Comment

• Nice pictures John.
          96 URS6 plus speck saloon
          96 URS6 plus speck estate
          94 2.6 80 Avant
          99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Certainly noticeably quicker now, pulls like a train! These engines will run a tooth or 2 out no problems i think. Good to know it's spot on now though. Maybe the next Scottish meet will be in Wales I would love to drive some of the roads down there again.

Great to see your avant John.
            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• All sounds good Mike what with the heavy duty servicing and now she's pulling like a train. Did you get down to the why the washer/spacer was there on the crank pulley. I think some of these engine have to have a diamond washer in that area?
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

One rather odd thing is there was a spacer behind the crank pulley which the mechanic said should not be there. This was causing my timing belt to run out of line with the cam pulley. This has obviously been like this for a long time, i had noticed that the belt has eaten through the front cover a bit, but i thought maybe the cover was deformed rather than the belt wasn't running true.

I supplied a new pulley and bolt, but when he fitted these without the spacer the engine wouldn't turn over (by hand). So he made a much smaller shim than the spacer previously fitted and the engine turned over and belt is now perfectly aligned with cam pulley.
                There is a 3mm friction washer which goes on the end of the crank.

Where did he put his new spacer?
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                  There is a 3mm friction washer which goes on the end of the crank.

Where did he put his new spacer?
                  I think he just replaced the old washer with a new thinner one. Said he's not seen this washer before and he's done 2 other s2 engines recently. I'm assuming this is in addition to the friction washer you're talking about Andy.
                  1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Maybe the next Scottish meet will be in Wales
                    That could be a plan, ******' boring drive to get there though.......unless we take the back roads!

Comment

• 3B dont have the washer.

ABY & ADU do, AAN depends on pulley.
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post
                        That could be a plan, ******' boring drive to get there though.......unless we take the back roads!
                        How many days would we need for this?

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        3B dont have the washer.

ABY & ADU do, AAN depends on pulley.
                        Thanks Andy. All seems to be running smoothly so i think it worked out
                        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

How many days would we need for this?
                          Fri-Mon ?

Comment

Maybe the next Scottish meet will be in Wales
                            Awesome idea!! :driving

Great shots, chaps - fabulous cars indeed!!

Headlamp skoosher comparison, this weekend perhaps?!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

• Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
                              Headlamp skoosher comparison, this weekend perhaps?!
                              Mine are just for show at the moment.........it's on the "to do list"(which is similar to rolling a snowball down a hill!!).

Comment

• Eh, Mike- I was only pulling your leg about heading back down south, but it seems you have a following here, going by the number of other lads who have responded........

Bring it on, Buddy

Comment

Working...
                                X