No announcement yet.

My new URS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you/we ever get to a point where we get to the fun stuff?

My car is running really well, I still need to book it in for a RR and leak test to double check. But everything works... Pipes replaced, cambelt done, bottom pulley done etc. Externally a little tatty, I can polish the paint easy enough , and I can send it off to get the rust sorted (minor corrosion on both wings), but not sure I can mentally justify spending so much then to spend more on a turbo.

If I'm running 250/260 now, the idea of an RS2+ spec turbo sounds great.

Do I go for perfect bodywork, or go for a rather silly turbo?

A lot depends on wether I can get it mapped (without it financially ruining me).

Comment

Originally posted by Dift View Post
      Will you/we ever get to a point where we get to the fun stuff?

My car is running really well, I still need to book it in for a RR and leak test to double check. But everything works... Pipes replaced, cambelt done, bottom pulley done etc. Externally a little tatty, I can polish the paint easy enough , and I can send it off to get the rust sorted (minor corrosion on both wings), but not sure I can mentally justify spending so much then to spend more on a turbo.

If I'm running 250/260 now, the idea of an RS2+ spec turbo sounds great.

Do I go for perfect bodywork, or go for a rather silly turbo?

A lot depends on wether I can get it mapped (without it financially ruining me).
      Someday probably

Remap will take the 260ish upto 280 which isn't 200EUR worth I think. I would do the little things (body, interior etc) and then just go RS2+ spec.

Mine is still standard, so I will remap it before going RS2+ spec, but 20hp increase won't make much of a difference in your case IMHO.
      '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
      '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

If your still on a standard ecu, and my tuner requires a standard one to map for the big turbo. I'm sure in could make you an offer (ie a straight swap).

I was hoping I could just remove the MTM chips and the car would be standard... This doesn't look like it's the case??

I need to open the ecu to see if it's got a 3bar map sensor or not anyway. (260v280bhp).

I love the car... It's just every time I walk upto it I see the little bit of rust on the arch (picture pg2.).

I fear my OCD will get the best of me.

I've not even had a chance to clean it .

Comment

If your still on a standard ecu, and my tuner requires a standard one to map for the big turbo. I'm sure in could make you an offer (ie a straight swap).

I was hoping I could just remove the MTM chips and the car would be standard... This doesn't look like it's the case??

I need to open the ecu to see if it's got a 3bar map sensor or not anyway. (260v280bhp).

I love the car... It's just every time I walk upto it I see the little bit of rust on the arch (picture pg2.).

I fear my OCD will get the best of me.

I've not even had a chance to clean it .
          Mine is standard yes, and I won't say no

IIRC then you would need to take out the MTM chip, and put replace it with standard 2.5bar chip, which then will be replaces by mapped one

I had OCD with my old A100, it had to be clean at all times, but with this S4, I realised that looks doesn't matter as much as sorted suspension, and engine that pulls well. I will respray her some day, but it definitely isn't priority. Engine rebuild is now my priority, then suspension overhaul and then I'll get to pretty stuff.
          '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Well your my go to guy if I need a standard chip.

Hopefully I'll be home for the weekend so I can get the standard 16" avus on, and eBay off my S3 wheels.

I'm hoping the 16" avus with the 20mm spacers won't be too wide. I think it leaves me with an ET of 17... Which maybe a little bit much. It's 13mm wider than the current setup, that said my pro race 1.2s didn't look too bad on it.

Engine overhaul, suspension refresh...

Comment

Well your my go to guy if I need a standard chip.

Hopefully I'll be home for the weekend so I can get the standard 16" avus on, and eBay off my S3 wheels.

I'm hoping the 16" avus with the 20mm spacers won't be too wide. I think it leaves me with an ET of 17... Which maybe a little bit much. It's 13mm wider than the current setup, that said my pro race 1.2s didn't look too bad on it.

Engine overhaul, suspension refresh...
              Not a fan of 16's, they look too small, I have 17s and they are just right imho.

In long term it will be better, otherwise something breaks every month and I spend loads of time under the car rather then inside enjoying it. So engine with new shell bearings, rings, upper/lower gasket sets and most sensors, possibly rods if finance allows. And then LPG conversion, otherwise it's not a cheap car to run.
              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I agree, with the 16" looking small, but I'm hoping with a little more poke it'll look good.

I like the idea of it looking standard too, especially if it sports a big turbo.

My average MPG is just over 20... Glad I have a limited mileage insurance policy!

Comment

I agree, with the 16" looking small, but I'm hoping with a little more poke it'll look good.

I like the idea of it looking standard too, especially if it sports a big turbo.

My average MPG is just over 20... Glad I have a limited mileage insurance policy!
                  Around town I mostly do short trips, so mine averages 15 around town, 32 on motorway.
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

After discovering my MTM Chip was actually a superchips fuel only chip with a bolt through the waste gate, it made me get serious. http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75628

Get a proper remap from someone like PRJ, or buy a bigger turbo and blitz the lot...

Comment

Spent a great weekend in the lakes with the family.

Lots of complaints from the wife the roads/car/my driving was making her feel sick

My boys loved it.

Upon returning, I finally managed to swap the wheels back to original.

Car feels much improved now. Feels like a big old audi... Floating over bumps and not crashing into them.

Very happy.

I'll see the S3 alloys off to help pay for the big turbo I've just bought

Comment

Looks nice. Leaving 16" or upgrading to something bigger later?
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

I'm quite enjoying the 16". The car is intended to be a but of a sleeper, so I think I'll most likely stick with these, plus they are quite light.

I can't believe the difference the wheels have made to the ride quality.

I want to spend money in other areas. Wheels are way down the list.

Comment

After another lovely weekend with the car, I'm concerned about the noise the turbo makes when spooling at minimal throttle application (akin to a siren).
                            I am pretty sure it's the turbo as I happens around 2500 as the turbo naturally spools, once the turbo is producing boost (even under minimal throttle) the noise is gone.

Any chance it could be a boost leak?

I have an Albert turbo on the way (could turn out to be rather handy), so by no means a disaster if it is the turbo.

Comment

After another lovely weekend with the car, I'm concerned about the noise the turbo makes when spooling at minimal throttle application (akin to a siren).
                              I am pretty sure it's the turbo as I happens around 2500 as the turbo naturally spools, once the turbo is producing boost (even under minimal throttle) the noise is gone.

Any chance it could be a boost leak?

I have an Albert turbo on the way (could turn out to be rather handy), so by no means a disaster if it is the turbo.
                              Having the same noise, very noticeable when engines cold.
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Interesting. I can't say I've heard it other than when the car has been left standing. Oil and water are bang on the money and crystal clear.

I'll check if it happens warm this weekend. Only happens ~20mph in 3rd really.

Comment

Working...
                                X