S2 avant, emerald green.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John. View Post
    Changed the fuel filter today, fooked the pipe from the filter so did a little by-pass.......anyway, here's the old filter.
    Audi part......wonder if it was the original?

So I cut it open and some Guinness spewed out.....

I'd like to think it'll run better now although it was going ok anyway......psychologically it WILL be running better!

It's staggering that previous owners can ignore simple things like this!!!

The Green Goblin is in good hands at last!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

Jeebus, that is one retro filter alright.
      Really surprised it was still running properly after 20+ years of ***** build up in there. Why no one ever changed it is mad
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

if you read audi service book ( atleat for UrS4 ) the fuel filter is ment to be lifetime, no change interval
        S2 limo

Comment

I've changed three of these fuel filters on S2 Avants and it looks like the original.

Can only go better.

Last edited by macspring; 30 January 2016, 23:49.

Comment

Not knocking any past owners, the car was running well so why worry??!!

Mike, it was ok actually. Took the tank strap bolts out and that gives you access to muller the filter retaining clip/bracket....I cut through it as the bolt/nut were rusted solid. Dropped the filter a few inches and removed the feed pipe(lower). Then you can pull it down and get the feed pipe off stressing the rusty metal pipe in the process!
            I was now ready to fit the new filter but didn't get any new washers with the new filter. I was doing this at my in-laws workshop and just assumed there'd be washers to hand........plenty copper ones but none of the alloy type!! So I used the old ones and they sealed fine
            The fuel pipes have had previous repairs by piecing in new pipe and joining it with hose and jubilee clips. I remember reading a thread either here or on CA about "doing it right" and joining the pipe with compression joints?.........But my car has had this repair done (and it didn't look like a recent job) and so I thought why not do it like this?
            So I pieced in a new bit of cunifer pipe and joined it at the convenient point of the previous repair! I did use new rubber hose and propper fuel pipe hose clips(not the jubilee type).
            At the filter end I joined rubber hose to the plastic pipe of the feed from the filter.

And the big question, is it going any better?
            Don't know as I just drove it back home, 1 mile. And I need to check the diff and gearbox oil levels as there could well be more oil on the outside than the inside!

Another job done though.

Comment

Looks like the filter is doing its job!

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                I've changed three of these fuel filter on S2 Avants and it looks like the original.

Can only go better.

Comment

Changed the gearbox and differential oils today. Did a wee search beforehand but got a bit head-numb with all the brands and types so thought I'd leave it up to my motor factors to tell me what should go in?!..........but they didn't have a listing for it
                  So, the gearbox got full synthetic 75/90 GL4
                  and the diff got mineral 80/90 GL5
                  Lets hear it then, correct oil??...or have I just bought an expensive flush?!

Comment

Gearbox
                    G 50 SAE 75W90 GL4

Rear diff
                    GL 5 SAE 90

From 100 manual, but they are both 01E

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Thanks Andy, the spec is close?!
                      It's got to be better than what came out, diff was black and not much of it as O/S seal is leaking. Gearbox oil had ATF in I think as had red tint to it?.........plenty came out though!

Comment

Changed the gearbox and differential oils today. Did a wee search beforehand but got a bit head-numb with all the brands and types so thought I'd leave it up to my motor factors to tell me what should go in?!..........but they didn't have a listing for it
                        So, the gearbox got full synthetic 75/90 GL4
                        and the diff got mineral 80/90 GL5
                        Lets hear it then, correct oil??...or have I just bought an expensive flush?!
                        That's the very stuff I bought for The Helmet, John. I don't know about the S2 diff housing, but I had to buy two plugs from Audi as the existing ones are seized in and will likely get mangled in the "removal process"

Part no. WHT-001-937

Comment

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
                          That's the very stuff I bought for The Helmet, John. I don't know about the S2 diff housing, but I had to buy two plugs from Audi as the existing ones are seized in and will likely get mangled in the "removal process"

Part no. WHT-001-937

Am I right in saying you had 2 drain plugs, this only has 1......came off ok.

Comment

My diff on ly had 1 bung too i think. I fitted a new one just out of precaution. Interestingly its the same plug as a gearbox one from a classic beetle....

Comment

Some pics from yesterday, had a wee drive up to Perthshire to meet up with Mike. A good blether had and naturally a few photos taken.

Well John and Mike your cars certainly do look pretty smart together and great setting too for the pictures. Since Ilast seen you Mike my beastie has been sleeping all tucked up, plus need to sort out or find another air con pipe...

1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
                              2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
                              1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
                              1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
                              2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
                              1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
                              2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
                              1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Frosty Emerald.

Hides the bad bits!

Comment