struikie - Audi 80 B4 quattro project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi JW,

Thanks for that thorough response sir, I did see your listed history earlier and wondered, but failed to grasp the tongue in cheek of "maybe these will be awesome" and it is encouraging to hear of your satisfaction with the V3s. Bear with me, a question into the theoretical please. Because of your experience, for B4 folks who could have the same '97 A4 B5 Eibach/Bilstein style rear set-up and B8s up front and really like the comfort level of that (very close to my set-up), what might V3s offer that you could recommend? Can you describe (I am actually thinking here of your '06 BMW estate before and after V3s, can you expand on the "awesome" between those two?) how the drive was different, thank you.

David

Comment

I have no V3's in place, not on the B4 nor the BMW.

The 80 has H&R 60/40 springs and the new Sachs/Monroe dampers (previously koni 86-2066sport + 8210-1160sport)
      I am contemplating on getting the V3's for the 80 later on, but one problem might be that the rear external reservoir
      fouls the Cayenne caliper I have fitted on the rear.

As for the Koni's. Perhaps I will set them at their firmest and put them back on to see what happens.

The BMW has the KW StreetComfort coil overs.
      The streetcomfort is designed for a little bit of lowering and uses linear springs like the ClubSport set. This
      leads to the car not rolling first before settling when turning into a corner like the V1/2/3 does because of the progressive spring.
      Essentially the StreetComfort is the V2 with linear springs and modified dampening.

There just isn't that much available for the B4 anymore. If StreetComfort was available for the B4,
      it would have been fitted already
      The car will have around 500bhp, so brakes (sorted) and suspension need to be up to par.

The Eibach Sportsystem 50/40 I had on the B5 was quite nice from memory. It has been a very long time
      since is had the B5...

JW
      Last edited by struikie; 21 November 2021, 14:45.
      | project | 1993 Audi 80 VR6 turbo quattro |
      | daily | 2006 BMW E91 335d | 385bhp 735Nm |

Comment

The V3s, even on the softest settings are WAY harder than sport Koni shocks. The spring rates are high too... so just be ready for a very, very firm ride...
        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

I am not using the Koni's as a reference, they were just on the car when I bought it
          They are (and the new shocks now) just too soft for the H&R springs.

JW

Comment

Had a look at the Koni's...
            It looks like both front and rear were set to almost the softest setting.
            Front has 2 full turns of adjustment. I now set them half a turn from hard.
            Rear has 10 quarter turns of adjustment. I now set them to 2 quarter turns from hard.
            When I get my new front top bearings I'll swap them back in and see what it does.

JW

Comment

Put the Koni's back on the car and I must say it's not bad.
              The rears I had to set to 0.75 turn from hard as on 0.5 they were very very slow. I put the fronts 0.25 turn from hard.
              Fitted new top bearings with new nuts while I was at it.

Also replaced the steering damper which turned out to be really bad. It acted like an air spring!
              Steering is now much smoother.

JW

Comment

Replaced the bulbs in the Diff lock switch unit.

Also modified my head unit. There was annoying/ unnecessary lighting on the left
                and right of the front panel. I opened it up and taped of the light guides.
                Much better.

Original:

Next up is replacing the bulbs of the instrument cluster and ordering a
                new display for it. The button (reset/ resume) of the cruise control came off.
                I have to see if I can repair that.
                I also need to clean the contacts of the wiper stalk. I have the variable interval
                relay, but it doesn't work because there is a small break when moving the stalk
                resetting the relay....

JW

Comment

Cleaning the contacts of the wiper stalk made no difference to the function
                  of the programmable wiper relay. Maybe I need to get the original relay 99.
                  The maker of this after market relay replied that the can be no break in
                  contact or the timer will immediately reset...

Disassembled the tacho and cleaned it and replaced all the bulbs.
                  I just have to wait for the replacement display for the trip computer to arrive.

Also heard that a friend has a A4 B5 2.5TDI V6 6-speed DQT 01E gearbox.
                  I'm going to trying and buy it off him. From what I've read my V6 drive shafts
                  should fit and the prop shaft needs to be shortened by 25mm.
                  I really like the gear linkage Alex makes for the B4

JW

Comment

Nice job with all the bulbs, that's something that always gets overlooked but greatly satisfying when done.
                    How can I find out more about this 6spd gear linkage? I'm putting DSY 01E behind my AAN

Comment

If you already have a 6 speed gearbox, the linkage should fit.
                      When swapped from 5 to 6 speed the linkage from Alex (https://www.ultraperformance.co.uk/0...inkage---s2rs2)
                      is a straight swap. Otherwise the linkage of the A4 B5/B5/B7 will fit when shortened.
                      For the linkage Alex offers you also need the A4 shifter box.

JW

Comment

Im just here to say hello you guys

Comment

Fixed.

Got the replacement display from Partworks GmbH
                          https://partworks.de/briefware-inlan...ur-lcd-v1.html

JW

Comment

Ordered the first part of the 6 speed conversion

JW

Comment

Received the gear knob and B5 S4 gear linkage.
                              The benefit of the B5 version is that it is very close to the B4 version
                              so that the gear knob is a straight fit. I also like that you need to
                              push down to go into reverse like stock B4.

When I got the car it had one original remote and one after market folding key.
                              (I ripped out the after market junk)
                              I got two remotes a long while a go and now I ordered three original blanks.
                              The blanks will all be cut and one will remain intact. The other two will be used
                              to supply the blades to go into the remotes.
                              The folding key blade will be used as a template as it works and is less worn
                              than the original remote.

JW
                              Last edited by struikie; 14 January 2022, 21:01.

Comment

Nice work.What is the difference between B5 S4 gear linkage and a standard 01E linkage off B5 2.5 TDI for example? I am collecting parts to convert Competition to 01E gearbox, also what driveshafts and hubs are needed to do it correct?

All the best

Comment

Working...
                                X