Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I fixed the clips, cleaned them up first so I could see how bad they were
    1-clip.jpg

Drilled a hole to stop the crack going any further. Then tried various forms of glue to fix them but they all pulled apart again as there is just not enough material to bond to. So used the hot knife attachment om my soldering iron to melt them together which worked well.
    2-clip.jpg

Then on the one with the broken off clip I heated up a metal clip and push it into the housing which appear to have done the trick. Not the best looking repair in the world but your never going to see them.
    3-clip.jpg

So I need a favour if someone can help. I'm been checking on ultraperformance for the crank locking tool but it's still out of stock, I emailed them but they were busy so so need another solution until they are back in stock and I will buy one. Let's face who does not like buying new tools. So I'm wondering of some would be kind enough to loan me a tool so I can get the belt done and fix any other problems in that area, as I do appear to have a small oil leak, and a snapped bolt. that holds the aircon pump in place.
    Last edited by B5NUT; 21 November 2021, 10:30.

Comment

Ultraperformance is Error404 on here.

Where are you? Loaning is easier when you know where you are

Comment

I'm live in Darlington, North east.

Comment

You can borrow mine
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks Dave much appreciated.

So right now the front has been stripped. So far have 3 issues to deal with.
            1-stripped.jpg

So first issue is this bolt.
            4-bolt.jpg

Once the crank pully is out of the way I can start to deal with it but will need to remove the aircon pump. Joy!

Next up and not 100% on this is the PAS pump, it has a fair amount of end float between .5 to 1mm (need to check with a gauge) is this normal or does it need replacing?
            2-pass.jpg

Final issue is the alternator, I know it's producing a good 14V but the bearing are shot, it spins far to freely and you can hear the bearing rumbling. Think the grease has long since departed. So I'm going to need new bearing.
            3-alt.jpg

Lower part has a little bit of wear but nothing major.
            5-alt.jpg

Anyone know any part numbers or size of bearing that go into this Bosch alternator?

Comment

Contact Antsa, apparently there is more than one type.

He did a write-up starting here :

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...01#post2078101

Comment

Yes, I think I have list of the different bearings. I have repaired the OE ABY alternator and one 120A from a V6 engine. Although the alternators are interchangeable the bearings were different. I'll dig up the part numbers for you in the evening

Comment

Alternator is now stripped and bearing removed.
                  1-alt.jpg

However, I now have another problem with the alternator. The case is cracked! Looks like it's been cracked for a while as there is plenty of corrosion in the crack! I guess the rust & alloy corrosion have expanded and cause the casing to fail.

Anyone got a dead alternator where the case is OK.
                  2-alt.jpg
                  Little harder to see this one so have put a line down where is failed.
                  3-alt.jpg

This car hates me.
                  Last edited by B5NUT; 21 November 2021, 15:12.

Comment

I have a v6 working one
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

What is the part number on it?

Comment

You found horrors and bitted the bullet and went ahead.............man kudos to you! What great work you are doing. Loving your thread!

Comment

Here goes the part numbers if you need them:

S2 OE alternator 034903016NX [Bosch 0 123 510 015]

Front bearing: Audi 054903221 Bosch 1120905531, 17mmx52mmx17mm
                          Rear beaering: Audi 021903221E Bosch 1120905525 (6203 2RS C3) 17mmx40mmx12mm

I've also repaired an alternator from a V6 (078903015A), it's a 120A aswell, it has a different plastic rear cover but it works fine with S2. It has the same rear bearing but the front is 021903221D (Bosch 1120905533) 17x47x14 (6303 2RS C3)

Comment

Thanks That helps.

So would a 078903015A be a straight swap or would I need to change the plastic case?

So as I've nothing to lose with the old one I went back into the workshop stuck a screwdriver into the crack and opened it up so I could remove the windings, which worked. You can now see the cracks far better.
                            5-alt.jpg

Think these two large crusty patches of corroded alloy that may have caused the issue, they stick out a good .5mm
                            6-alt.jpg

I can get a replacement case from tradition, problem with that it's going to take a long time. So need a plan B while that is on order.

I wonder if this case could be welded back together?

Comment

The case is probably standard Bosch fare, try local auto electrical place, they may have a new one, or an old scrap one for cheaps?

Comment

That's what I want. Will have a look around the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X