Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a post about the forum members on here. There was a resent thread where a member had a car for three months then sold it and blamed the members on here for not helping (Even when they did). Well I wanted to put the record straight about the members on here.

Today this package turned up in the post
    parts.jpg

Now, I've not asked anyone for these and I've not paid for them. However one member saw my recent post about the issues on my door lock problems. They took the time and money to find some pins and seals, package them up pay for the postage and then take time and fuel to get them to the nearest post office or post box.

On all the Audi forums I've been on over the years I've never met a kinder more generous bunch of people. That I've never even met in person. Anyway. Thankyou to the member that sent these out. Also thankyou to all the members who have loaned me tools, provided me with parts & services and provide me with all the information I've needed during the rebuild of my S2. I hope to be able to return the favours some day

Thanks
    Lee

Comment

• It's a good community
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• This morning I replaced the pins in the connectors. However it would a appear that I will have further problems at some point. After I cut the plug off and stripped back the sheath of the copper cable it has a fair amount of oxidation running along the sheath. How far that goes back I have no idea but it will need to be replaced. Will need to order the correct gauge and colour cable and replace the 6 lower harness cables. All the other cables in the harness that go to the switches appear to be OK.

Also today I replaced the brake reservoir. Etka no longer lists the replacement sensor for the RHD cars but the part number is 893611377 the LHD one has an A on the end.

For some reason someone had removed the filter on the old tank and there was a fair amount of dirt in there.
        1-tank.jpg

Fitted new seals as they are still used in a lot of VAG group cars PN# 357611817 about £4 each
        2-seals.jpg
        New tank fitted and you will need to cut the end bit off where I assume the rubber pipe connected to the reservoir is for the clutch system. Tanks are still available from Tradition PN#8A0611301B.
        3-tank.jpg

Last edited by B5NUT; 12 June 2022, 15:57.

Comment

• So it's been a crap couple of days with the S2. I'm booked in with Automark tomorrow for the alignment and stupidly I decided to "fix" the rust on the inside of the drivers side wing, Big Mistake. While using the wire brush on the drill to get into all the edges to remove the surface rust, the wire brush when straight through the panel at the bottom of the wing.

It's clear the wing has seen work before, as it was covered in filler and sealant (all now removed) and masses of black schutz that had just been painted over the rust.
          1-black.jpg
          No before of the hole but this was the amount of welding required. I used my old gasless MIG on this as there would be no way I could have done this on the TIG. Which reminds me I need to get that welder converted to gas.

Not the best of looking but better than filler (I hope).
          hole.jpg
          2-hole.jpg
          Also had to repair the upper mounting point for the front bumper as it had been almost snapped off and the hole had been damaged.
          3-hole.jpg

Back of the wing after being having all the rust removed and a rust converter applied as I'm never going to get rid of all the pitting.
          4-back.jpg
          For the rear I've used a Lechler Two-pack epoxy primer-sealer/filler which has an anticorrosion zinc-phosphate in the paint. I used to sear buy the epoxy from rust.co.uk but they changed the formal of their latest stuff and really don't rate it anymore. Nice things about the Lechler is it can be matched to any solid colour you what.
          6-paint.jpg

Once the back was done I moved on to the front, the poor welding was covered by a little bit of filler and then painted. Took a while to paint the wing as I kept getting fry up from some of the old paint where I had gone down to the metal. So had to sand them back and build up very light coats to stop any further fry up from happening. So at 1am this morning I finally finished putting the last coat of 2K clear on. I've given it a good 4 coats so I have plenty of clear to flatten back and polish up.
          wing1.jpg

There are a few nibs that I will need to deal with a it's got a fair amount of orange peal but that will be all sorted when it's wet sanded and polished up in the next couple of weeks.
          5-wing.jpg

Will be able to get it back on the car later this afternoon, as I also found a small amount of rust where the lower section of the car where the wing mounts to the body, so sorted that this morning and just waiting for the paint to dry.

Just hope this is the last bodged jobs I find on the car. What else could the last 2 owners make an **** of, that I have not already dealt with
          Last edited by B5NUT; 18 June 2022, 07:58.

Comment

• I'd have offered the use of a wing from my car if you were stuck but bloody hell that was a rapid repair!

Looking good mate and good luck for tomorrow!

Jase.

Comment

• Great thread a pleasure to read keep up the amazing work bro

Comment

• Had the car at Automark today. All went well and he got the car 99.5 fully aligned with just with one slight camber issue on the nearside front. It's got 0.5 deg too much negative camber. Now he could have been able to resolve that but it would have meant seeing if the front subframe could be adjusted slightly. However that would have change the caster, camber and toe on the other side. So it could have taken a lot more time, effort and money all for 0.5 of a deg. I had also only booked the morning off work so spending the hole day there was not an option. Have to say he's one of the few garages that I would trust with my S2.

He also talked about camber bolt to resolve the issue which I think I'll look into. But I'm not overly worried about such a small of excess negative camber.
                Last edited by B5NUT; 4 July 2022, 12:47.

Comment

• The camber tolerance's are very wide on these cars, if it drives nicely I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it wares the inside of the tyre.

You could also possibly loose it by slacking off the wheel baring housing to strut bolts and pulling the top of the housing away from the strut, there's normally about half a degree of camber to play with in that area.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Mark did try to get adjustment on the wheel bearing housing but it was already set at the maximum position for the negative camber. I'll either live with it or get the camber bolts. I'll see what the tyre wear is like over the next few months if it's fine then I'll just live with it. Car drives fine to me and it did for mark. I'm happy just to have the wheels pointing in the right direction

Comment

• I played around with my rear subframe on the Avant at the wheel alignment place trying to fix a small discrepancy and it now feels worse than before. I would just leave it. 0.5 is nothing.
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Yeah, I'd definitely be inclined to leave it alone, if Mark was happy to let you drive the car away I'm sure it's fine.

As I said the tolerances for camber are really wide on these cars, it can be anything from 0-1.2 degrees each side on the front with a maximum difference of 0.5 degrees side to side and then there's a +/- 15 minuet tolerance on top of those figures.

I may be wrong but I suspect he was trying to get both side's close to the same and there's a 0.5 degree (30 minuets) difference side to side, nothing to worry about.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Well this is how my S2 looks at the moment.
                          current.jpg

Almost 2 weeks ago I took the frontend off the car as I finally found a good colour match of paint on the car. At some point in this car's life it's been blown over and they either did a piss poor job at mixing the paint correctly to get the factory colour or the last customer as for a slight modification to the colour to give a more pearlescent effect on the paint. Either way the factory colour was way off. So after 6 attempts at getting the colour correct I finally have a good colour match to the car that I'm happy with that I won't notice every time I look at the car.
                          paint2.jpg

So this is now the paint code for my car. It's better than nothing but would rather have it the factory colour code, and not some slightly *******ised version of emerald green!
                          mpia.jpg

Before I fully refit the wings I wanted to replace the radiator on the car. The one that came with the car was not in the best of condition and was having trouble with the car over heating while idle. So replaced the rad with a Behr unit however they now only sell 34mm versions and the standard core and as I'm sure we all know the factory core size for the S2 is 44mm. I wanted the 44mm version as I noticed the car would struggle a little with the higher summer temps, nothing major but just not right in my eyes. As I know I'm losing 25% water flow and air flow on the smaller 34mm core.

So I was able to locate a 44mm unit from a forum member. It's an old Nissens unit with the brass end tanks. Now I know the Nissens units are about as popular as a fart in a submarine but this unit had already been repaired as the lower mount had cracked at one point and it been repaired. So happy days got a 44mm core rad that did not cost the earth and should be a simple install. Wrong. It would appear that something is not quite right with my S2 lower radiator mount! when you try and fit the fan it the cowling is touching the side of the chassis leg. Now first I thought is was an issue with the repair but it looks like the old radiator in my car had the same issue as the paint has already been rubbed away and it's down to the metal.
                          metal.jpg

Anyone else had this issue? I'm getting a local radiator repair company to move the lower mount about 5mm to give a bit more clearance so it won't rub.

So while I'm in there I decided to do something about the ticking time bomb that is the metal water pipe, that appears to rot away and there is no solution for replacements at the moment. I also removed the rubber pipe as I purchased a spare one last year. I was also told these do fail as well.
                          pipe.jpg

So after being blasted it was sprayed in with a large amount of epoxy to try and keep the rust at bay. Think It now should last a good 10 + years. if I'd have left it would be be holed in the next couple of years so it's was now or never. It was also a complete pain in the backside to remove the pipe. Cannot believe it secured with one of the gearbox mount bolts and then the 2 wiring harness clips were also a complete pain to open and release the harness.
                          image_85551.jpg

Won't get the radiator back until Friday. I just hope the Nissens radiator lasts, as I've just not been able to source a 44mm Behr rad and not a cat in hell's chance am I paying the €700 tradition is charging!
                          Last edited by B5NUT; 5 July 2022, 22:43.

Comment

• Lovely colour

Comment

• It's a little on the dark side! Depending on the light and the angle there is a fair amount of purple colour in the paint! The standard emerald green is a good shade or two lighter.

Comment

• You did a very good job on that coolant pipe. Error was going to make some in stainless steel as they are all going to need replacing sooner or later.
                                Interesting 're your radiator rubbing. I wonder if the leg had a knock at some point?
                                I need to pop up your way sometime for some painting lessons
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X