My 3B Coupé Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know Sonic, I had to look twice when I received the email

Glad to see some progress Stu, I'm one of a select few who have been in this car whilst it was on the road

Comment

• well we just missed the 4th year anniversary of this thread - come on Stu, get your finger out...!
      Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
        I know Sonic, I had to look twice when I received the email

Glad to see some progress Stu, I'm one of a select few who have been in this car whilst it was on the road
        Thanks guys. I'm glad I'm keeping my subscribers at bay.
        Select few indeed Jamo.
        At least Sonic is just about old enough to have seen it running at the Ring.

I'm still mocking up, measuring up and compiling a list of hoses and fittings to finish off the fuel lines, breather system and oil coolers. I feel another expensive bill coming.

Now I've got the alternator and air-con compressor on, and my front crossmember is taking shape, I've been sizing up the intercooler plumbing. It's getting tight for space, that's for sure.
        I even put the RH headlight in, to check for space. I have no idea where the MAF will go ATM. I'll have to squeeze it in somewhere, somehow.
        SS

Comment

• Another afternoon wasted making another bracket.

SS

Comment

• I managed to to reach another milestone on the old project at the weekend. Nothing exciting, but fairly useful. I got the brakes finished off and bled, and the handbrake adjusted. I just need to get some tyres fitted to some wheels, then I should be able to roll the old banger around at least.

I only had one hitch while bleeding the brakes. I forgot that I loosened the LHF brake line at the ABS unit, to get some slack to put the retaining spring on. I soon heard it spurting out fluid when my assistant pushed the brake pedal.

I'm still fighting for space around the right side of the engine, there are too many hoses in too little space. I don't want any unwanted chafage.
            SS

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing the beast in all of its Panthero glory

What about some of those OEM plastic U-clips they use to separate hoses from each other?
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Can I rename the thread 3b unicorn project good to see progress though Stu

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                  I managed to to reach another milestone on the old project at the weekend. Nothing exciting, but fairly useful. I got the brakes finished off and bled, and the handbrake adjusted. I just need to get some tyres fitted to some wheels, then I should be able to roll the old banger around at least.
                  any pictures Stu?...can I assume they are the baby ones...
                  Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                  I'm still fighting for space around the right side of the engine, there are too many hoses in too little space. I don't want any unwanted chafage.
                  nowt worse than unwanted chafage..

Comment

• Thanks guys. I know progress on the S2 is still painfully slow.
                    I managed to break a gearbox on one of the other cars last month, so had to sort that out as soon as I could. And as you know, if a gearbox comes out, one has to look around to see what else needs doing.
                    Now the A3's clutch on it's last legs, and the snow is getting closer, so I need to get that sorted.

The brakes are just the good old 996/S8 setup for now, Mike. Good enough until I get the car running. It won't take long to sort out and swap to the big brakes. I don't want those expensive disks rusting while sat on the driveway.

I was originally planning to get everything done in one go on this project, but I had no idea how much work I was taking on, and how little time I would end up with. There are some jobs I am going to do once the car is up and running. I wouldn't want to run out of things to tinker with anyway.

I'm sure these hoses will be fine once I've finally got them all where they need to go. I had a similar problem around the back of the block, 'Does this hose/cable go under or over this one?'
                    SS

Comment

• "3B Phoenix" might be a more fitting title. I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Well done 4WheelDrifter
                      4 Rings Rule.......Everytime

1984 80 Quattro B2 - Project Car
                      1996 S2 - ABY 6 Speed - Pride and joy
                      2003 A2 TDI - Economy

Comment

• Thanks. I can smell the lighter evenings coming.

I can't believe the old banger has been off the road for 5 years now. I didn't originally bargain for crap summers, and working away from home so much spoiling the momentum in the early stages. Now I just have too many other things on the go, and less time on the S2 than I would like. I've got to keep going though. I need this car back.
                        SS

Comment

• Nice project.. Hang in there, It'll be worth it when you fire it up and take it for a spin eventually! I'm taking my 3B off the road later this year for some engine/transmission upgrades. Probably madness, as it works pretty good now with RS2 setup, VEMS and E85. I hope to be back on the streets after a few weeks. Greetings from Norway
                          Leif-Helge
                          -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
                          -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

Comment

• Takk Leif-Helge.

Good luck your upgrade. Just make sure you get on with it quickly.
                            I had RS2 bits ready to go on my car, but I decided to go further. It certainly gets a lot more complicated when you go for a more unusual setup. Sometimes I wish I had stuck with RS2 spec, then I would have had the car back together a long time ago.
                            SS

Comment

• I had a wee bit of time for S2 tinkering today, taking advantage of some daylight and dry weather.

After finally starting the intake plumbing a little while ago, I wasn't happy with the turbo drain hose position. Things were pretty tight around the compressor outlet.
                              After removing the turbo, adjusting the drain hose, re-clocking the turbo slightly, refitting and repeating a few times, I think I have it sorted.
                              I am fairly sure I should be able to crack on with intake hoses now.

I also got my Cups back from the blasters last week. I was surprised how good they look with all the scratched and chipped paint removed. Now I just need to get some paint back on them sometime.

I know it's not much to report, but at least it's something.
                              SS

Comment

• Good to hear you're still finding time to work on it Stu. Looking forward to more updates
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X