My 3B Coupé Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As ever, thanks for the support guys.
    I'm certainly taking my time over this one. I have plenty of other cars to keep me amused, but they can't replace the S2. I still look forward to driving it again.

I got the clutch from the US last summer. The S3 needed a new clutch after GTI, and with £1=$2 it was a no-brainer. The original one I got from Aelred, but I'm sure he's stopped dealing with Clutchnet since.
    SS

Comment

• I like your attention to detail Stu its gonna be awesome when finished.
      When are we turning your S8 in to a track whore then?
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• S8?? What did I miss?
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
          S8?? What did I miss?
          same here

I know getting s8's is hard but buying the car just to get them

Comment

• A few weeks a go I managed to get some time and an assistant to bleed the clutch, only to find the pedal didn't return from the floor. After pumping the pedal a few times fluid started to drip from the bell housing.
            Later I took the clutch slave cylinder out to find the pushrod had popped out of the end of the cylinder.

Today I took the engine out yet again to find out what was going on. And, well, I'm not sure really.
            I measured everything up. Release bearing to bell housing face, and back to the clutch springs. I checked that with the old 5 speed set up that came out of the car, and it was the same. Checked again the 3B vs ABY slave cylinders, again the same apart from the manufacturer and part number.
            So in the end I put it all back together and bled the clutch again. This time it was fine.

With that job done I got on with putting a few bits and pieces in to the engine bay.
            It's good to see it taking shape.

I could do with getting Sonic down here, as my engine bay needs a good clean.
            SS

Comment

• Glad to hear youve got the clutch sorted then stu, and nice IM

Let me know when you're free and we can sort something out - wouldnt mind taking a few days off to come down the the south west anyway
              S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Stu looks great

Seems i am lacking........!

Best get my **** into gear.

Cheers Terry
                Chef

Comment

• Well done that man!!!!

91 S2 coupé - RIP
                  98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• It looks great in that engine bay
                    RS for ‘Rennsport’ - ‘Motorsport’ in German

Comment

• I'm still not getting much time for this project, work is still busy, too busy.

When I do get time for the S2, it seems to involve measuring making brackets and other uninteresting bits and pieces. It's very time consuming, and gives hardly any show. I know others with custom projects know what I'm talking about.

An example is the head mounted hall sender for the front cam pulley. It's not just getting the position right, it's making the covers fit around it.

Then the cambelt back cover needed trimming.

Once I got it so I was happy with how it fitted the trimmed edges needed repainting. It's frustrating waiting for paint to dry when you just want to get things bolted on.
                      Now I'm working on a solution for the front cover, as the dish of the ABY cam pulley fouls on it.

Thanks to Jamil (volcano rs) I got a nice new lower cambelt pulley. The woodruff key just needed a little filing where it sits against the damper.

Here are my secret specification cams with a new chain.

All timed up and the camblet is on. Many thanks to DJones for the loan of his flywheel locking tool. What a beautifully hand crafted thing that is, and very useful.

I took the manifolds back off to make access to things a little easier, so i someways it looks like I have gone backwards. But putting parts on only to take them off again to modify something seems to have become normal here.

Trying to work out what part of the looms went over/under which hoses is a bit of a headache.
                      SS

Comment

• Is that a standard ABY cam pulley that you're using Stu?
                        '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

• Yes. That's a stock ABY pulley on there ATM. I'm not sure if it will stay.
                          I needed it to get the hall sender position correct. Tom C had a spare ABY head that I could use to mark the sender position on to the wheel, which I then transfered to my bracket.
                          Before I bought the ABY cam pulley I didn't realise it was such a POS compared to the solid old 3B item. I'll most likely get an adjustable pulley at some point TBH.
                          I'll most likely be tinkering with the car after it's running, so having pulleys that I can fit and remove as often as I like without compromising reliability would be a good idea.
                          SS

Comment

• Chin up Stu, sounds like you're making moves in the right direction with this, just gotta keep on keeping on... we could have a race, what will be fixed first, me or your car
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Keep at it Stu! Come on tell us about the cams................

You are right about the cam pulley, I bought a Dahlback one although there is another one exactly the same for half the price somewhere on the forum, can't remember the link off the top of my head.

Comment

• Find that link.
                                SS

Comment

Working...
                                X