• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
      You guys should have spotted the old one in there, it's clearly an old Hex headed bolt, not a new Hex key bolt.
      Knock sensor?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
        Don't forget to put a wheel in to that tyre before you fit it. Also the front brakes will need some lines, with out that they won't function to well.

And when do you start your hair dresser training to take care of that dog.
        I think that tyre is one of the ones you flat spotted.
        And don't worry, I'll be competent enough with the clippers to give you a much needed hair cut when you get back.
        I'm keeping some scissors in the car now, as lots of friends seem to be requesting hair cuts.
        SS

Comment

• Lol. Fair enough. A hair cut would be nice thanks.
          I'm suprized you still have that tyre. I though you would have burnt it by now as it cant have had much life left in it after I spun it on the ring a few times (sorry about that)
          I'll stop clogging up your build thread now.
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• 4 years this year Is this a record for an S2 overhaul?
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Err.. Yeah.
              The old Banger is 20 years old next month too.

I admit the project is taking a lot longer than I intended. But then it has been more work and more money than I originally thought. And as you know, I have a tendency to get sidetracked with other car projects.
              But I can assure you my S2 is the car I love the most. I'll get there.

I've had a few setbacks and rethinks lately.

I thought I'd got to the stage where the car could stand and roll on its own four wheels, but when I got the OSF wheel on, there was play in the wheel bearing. The front wheel bearing are relatively young, so I didn't bother replacing them, like I did the rears. The only thing I can think of, is maybe at when the gearbox locked at about 70mph, the force somehow damaged the bearing.
              I need to get the wheel bearing housing back off and have a look. I've ordered a new wheel bearing anyway.

I plumbed in an oil cooler for the gearbox, behind the main rad. But I wasn't happy with the route of the oil lines. So I'm making up a bracket to mount a cooler at the rear of the car. Now I need to figure out a new route for the hoses, which may involve changing the fuel lines. On the other hand, I'm tempted to get the thing running without a cooler for now.

I've lost a bag of grommets somewhere. So to finish the brakes I need the grommets for the inner wings. I also need a new heater matrix pipe grommet for the bulkhead.

Now I have the 3B engine with an ABY cam pulley the belt cover doesn't fit anymore. So I've been working out how modify the now NLA cover to make it fit. I'm not keen on running without the cover.
              SS

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                4 years this year Is this a record for an S2 overhaul?
                yes madwolf don't have his anymore

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                I plumbed in an oil cooler for the gearbox, behind the main rad. But I wasn't happy with the route of the oil lines. So I'm making up a bracket to mount a cooler at the rear of the car. Now I need to figure out a new route for the hoses, which may involve changing the fuel lines. On the other hand, I'm tempted to get the thing running without a cooler for now.

Now I have the 3B engine with an ABY cam pulley the belt cover doesn't fit anymore. So I've been working out how modify the now NLA cover to make it fit. I'm not keen on running without the cover.
                I'm going to run my cooler for the box at the back but not till the cars on the road as I won't have time/cash to sort beforehand.

pm spink I sent a few cam covers up with him beforehand he should have one.

Stick with it mate, i'm interested to see it on the road with the countless shots of the rear windows open

Comment

• Cheers, Pete. I've got about four cambelt covers here to play about with. I'm just more nervous about hacking one up now.
                  SS

Comment

• always the way, only bonus with the amount of 3b's being broken there should be more supply.

Comment

• To mock up and check clearance for the turbo oil, water and boost hoses, I decided to fit the air-con compressor. But I had to give it a clean first. Here it is next to my original compressor that seized up.

The gearbox cooler bracket is now sorted. Just the hoses to re-do now. I've got a route planned out. The rubber mounted fuel filter bracket seemed like a better place to mount the cooler in the end.

I thought I'd get a picture before I fit it to the car, as there isn't enough room under the car to get any photos.
                      Oh, and I know that's an old fuel filter, banjo bolts, and oil cooler that I have spare, just for mocking up.

Now I have a spare 13 row oil cooler mounted, that I think I'll use for keeping the hydraulic fluid temps in check.
                      SS

Comment

• Thanks to Rusty, I now have a nice new oil separator/catch tank to fit.

Hopefully my cam cover will be back from the fabricators soon.

Then, along with the new gearbox cooler position, I have some more plumbing to sort out.

I also replaced the OSF wheel bearing, with the help of a old friend with a hydraulic press. The 'old' bearing was proper knackered. Shame, as it hadn't covered many miles.

Out with the old.

And in with the new.

SS

Comment

• My alternator was an Audi exchange unit that was fitted to the car before I bought it. Interestingly, it turned out to be the wrong one, as it was a 90A unit, not a 115A for a 3B equipped with AC.
                          No big deal I thought. At least it should rob less power from the engine. But I stripped the old alternator down to see what parts it needed for a refresh. What I found inside didn't look too good. By the time I priced up new bearings, slip rings and so on, it was obvious a new unit would be cheaper, easier and better.
                          So I bought an exchange alternator from a local Bosch dealer. Mmm... Another shiny new part.

SS

Comment

• Good to see you're making prgress Stu
                            Are you sure the wheel bearing was ******ed? They often feel a bit loose until you torque up the huib bolt as there are 2 separate races in the bearing
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks Alex.

Yes. I'm sure about the wheel bearing. I got fooled into thinking it was slack because it wasn't bolted tight to the driveshaft. But that wasn't the case.
                              SS

Comment

• I do like it every time i get an email saying this thread has been updated
                                S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X