X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anton,

Originally posted by rs2coupe View Post
    OEM King

heheh good work Tommy... so wish we were backyard neighbors.
    The thought had crossed my mind also.

Kind regards.

Comment

• Me too mister! When you comin' to GA? You know you have an open invitation!

You too David. I all seriousness, if any of you guys are in my neck of the wood and you don't pay me a visit.....well lets just say it won't be pretty.

Comment

• Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
        Thanks for the photos of the body.

Always a pleasure to view this thread, as is obvious for others as well on here also.

As Steve says, don't be shy abouth the length of this thread. It's informative/reference worthy as well as being plain fascinating.

Restricted funds maybe, but you have the jump on me with three garages, well wear !

Kind regards.
        Keine Problem David.

How much server space do I have? I don't want use it all up! Once the car is painted I'll probably post more pics. I'm glad to know that folks like to see the nut and bolts stuff.

Three garages maybe, but you get to live in the beautiful land of Ireland. I hope one day I can experience it first hand. One day......... Maybe take a few RS2 part home with me afterward.

Comment

• Tom,

It is true, the other man's grass always seems greener. It's raining and still cold over here.

Ireland like the US never officially got an S2 or RS2, you want to visit Switzerland for Tots or Germany for what it might surrender?

Not many parts here. If you ever land here, let us know in advance.

Kind regards.

Comment

• Got around to installing the new bearings and my refinished hubs into the rear uprights yesterday. I've got a set of new bearings from FAG that I'm going to press in using my on-the-car bearing tool. The tool makes this job a cake walk, but it does take some time and patience.

This is what we will be starting with.

A detail of the 82mm "double bearing" or "tapered bearing".........

.......and the matching end on the RS2 hub. Note the hub is tapered to mate with the bearing. Also visible in this picture is the elusive RS2 hub spacer ring, which can be seen at the bottom of the machined area, that spaces the hub away from the bearing.

The bottom side of the spacer.

now comes the tool. First order of business...press in the new bearing. I always use a brass hammer to start the bearing into its new home. Once in a bit and even it is all arm strength after that. LOTS of turning here.

Comment

• Excellent stuff Tom

Sitting here in Jax, FL wishing I had time to just 'pop up the road'...
              Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

• Bearing is in place so on to the hub.

The hub slowly being pressed into place with Laurel and Hardy looking on. What a worthless lot they are.

With a little elbow grease the hub is in place. Done.

Comment

• I noticed the L&H figures there - very good - my comedy heroes from as far back as I can remember... Fresh fish... Laughing gravy etc
                  Nice looking work as usual from the hills of peach country !
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by CliveH View Post
                    Excellent stuff Tom

Sitting here in Jax, FL wishing I had time to just 'pop up the road'...
                    Thanks!

You are welcome to drop in! How long are you stateside?

Comment

• Ladies and gentlemen it is my duty to report the project RS2 America has been canceled.....

Mr.Saltino, I will in my official capacity make arrangements to remove this vehicle
                      from your facility and take care of its long term storage.

LOL

Hey Tom, what is the cheapest way to have a couple bumpers shippred from Europe to the US? I sent you an email with the same question but it may have bounced.

Later tater
                      Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                        I noticed the L&H figures there - very good - my comedy heroes from as far back as I can remember... Fresh fish... Laughing gravy etc
                        Nice looking work as usual from the hills of peach country !
                        Mine too Paul. Your peach reference has me thinking of personalized registration plate options. "PCHY RS2" maybe?

Originally posted by fastscirocco View Post
                        Hey Tom, what is the cheapest way to have a couple bumpers shippred from Europe to the US? I sent you an email with the same question but it may have bounced.
                        The cheapest way is to ship it via post in a big box. BTDT. The downside is that a lot of hands touch it on its journey to the US which gives more opportunity for damage to occur. BTDT too. It is also the slowest method.

Comment

• Rear Spacer

Did you happen to measure the dimensions for the rear hub spacer?
                          Thanks, Chris
                          "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

• Originally posted by A1QSHIP View Post
                            Did you happen to measure the dimensions for the rear hub spacer?
                            Thanks, Chris
                            No I didn't.

But I have a part number 8A0 501 217

Comment

• This one will be a stunner when finished. Most admirable dedication.

Would it make your life a bit easier regarding the registration if I remind you that you imported an "Audi 80 Avant S2"? Who cares if it happens to have few bits from some other car? It still is an Audi 80 Avant type 8C and not Audi/Porsche RS2 type P1.
                              You surely got some papers with the body, didn't you?
                              -

Comment

• In the US, a "title" is the required paperwork that I need to obtain a registration plate. The German paperwork doesn't get me very far unfortunately. I've got several different avenues that I can take to get a plate for the car.

Yes, the fact that I have an Audi 80 S2 Avant is definitely good thing as the RS2 has been officially blacklisted by the federal government. I actually chose to import an S2 avant over an RS2 just in case someone in customs decided to make a stink. It is actually up to the individual customs agent here. He could be having a bad day and decide to tell me that it has to go back or be crushed. Thank goodness he didn't. I would hate to think that my project car was crushed because the VIN said it was an RS2, knowing that the S2 avant 6-speed is EXACTLY the same unibody. I took the safe road.

The good news is that while the federal govenment does have a say about what is imported from other countries the Fed doesn't issue titles or registration plates. That is done by the state........and in GA, and most of the south, things are relaxed. That being said, I'm not very worried about getting plates for this project.

Comment

Working...
                                X