Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• although they look perfect,i noticed from mine being on the car for so many years,that it would be best to use lots of thick layers of paint,as they are quite exposed and the paint may tend to create marks and therefore rust may become an issue again.

Yesterday i did a small job of painting some areas of the struts and the suspension whilst being on the car,just for some added protection....dreaded moisture...

Comment

• Good work keep it up. i thought i had it hard finding parts in the UK . i see its not that hard after reading your post ,. excellent..

Comment

• Originally posted by PapVas View Post
        although they look perfect,i noticed from mine being on the car for so many years,that it would be best to use lots of thick layers of paint,as they are quite exposed and the paint may tend to create marks and therefore rust may become an issue again.

Yesterday i did a small job of painting some areas of the struts and the suspension whilst being on the car,just for some added protection....dreaded moisture...
        All the parts have been loaded up with material to reduce the rust factor. This is going to be a garaged, sunny Sunday afternoon car I'm sure the three layers of Rustoleum will be plenty of protection.

Comment

• Very nice build!! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Comment

• Just stumbled upon this thread, and felt compelled to sign up to offer my compliments on an awesome project.

What's the latest status of the car?

Let me know if you ever need an extra set of hands. I'm in Atlanta, and would gladly give you a hand, in return for just seeing that thing.
            1987 Audi 5000CSQ
            1990 BMW 325i
            1999 Ford Explorer Sport

Comment

• Thanks for the compliments! What are you doing this weekend!

I've been working on a motor swap in my S4 so I've had to focus on that for the last month. It was my plan to completely finish my suspension build before the car goes for paint. As usual I have been delayed by the fact that some of the parts needed have been hard to come by. But the good news is, with a little help from Jonas R, I've got the parts on the way to me now and should have everything completed soon.

It's killing me that I have to wait so long, but I know in the end it will be worth it. I pulled the cover off it yesterday and test fitted the grill just to help me feel better. I took a few steps back and gazed at it for a while......and then put the cover back on.

All kidding aside, you're welcome to come up and help out/take a peek. I'll PM you my number

Comment

• Hey Saltinot you should try some of the WURTH stuff.

They got some amazing stuff you could coat your parts with. I've used their products on my car and it just about perfect. They have some Waxoyl type sprays that can be used.
                I live in the snow belt and have had my car for quite some time. Ever since I've been using WURTH products, I never have to worry about rust. Give them a try.

Comment

• I also like the Würth paint, but for us Georgia boys rust just ain't much of a worry. The Würth stuff is not available locally either.

On the other hand, the Rustoleum is less expensive and available locally at the local home improvement store. I've used the Rustoleum on the 4000q (90q) subframes over seven year ago and they still look nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                    I also did some work on the rear RS2 hubs.......

Before and after.

I can see the Porsche part number on the hub, can you tell me what the Porsche P/N is on the front hubs? Might be very easy to source these from used Porsche recyclers. Thank you!
                    www.quattro.ca
                    B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                    B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

• The rears are an easy find from a 944, but the front hubs do not sport a part number so I haven't been able to determine what Porsche they come from. :-(

Comment

• 944 huh. interesting.
                        1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• I created a forum account on these forums solely because of this thread, but I have to say, you are an inspiration for people who love these wonderful European cars.

Cheers!

(Oh, and wish me luck when my taxes come back on getting back into the Audi family. It's not an S2 or any S-car at all, but dangit, I love the 100CS Quattro that I have my eyes on!)

Comment

• lookin good. keep up the brilliant work, it will all be worth it in the end
                            ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                            THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Things are moving slowly here, but there a few things to talk about. I'll post some updates soon.

Comment

• Looking forward to the posts whenever they occur. No pressure.

I'd say we'll all be envious when it's finished.

Kind regards.

Comment

Working...
                                X