Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is, is most likely someone has tried and they deemed it not which is why it's on the ineligible list. The eligible list is a bit longer.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ is where all the information is. Note there is another hurdle to go through to import a RHD where a LHD of the same car exists.

Comment

Which means......... Whoever tried it, doesn't have the right contacts or did not supply the correct amount of green vouchers, dancing girls, white powder or other favours of a dubious nature
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
        Which means......... Whoever tried it, doesn't have the right contacts or did not supply the correct amount of green vouchers, dancing girls, white powder or other favours of a dubious nature
        A few years ago I spent several hours on the phone with the guy who writes all the regulations......he doesn't seem like someone who would be persuaded by such things. Maybe the promise of a new computer would work better.

Actually he told me that he was sick and tired of kooks calling asking stupid questions about RS2 importation. You could tell when I mentioned the RS2 that he really didn't wish to talk to me. He was very short until he realized that I was serious about it and wasn't just some knucklehead. I've often wondered if he black listed the RS2 just to stop the annoying phone calls.

After my conversation with the above individual I decided that the "parts" route was the easiest, but definitely not the inexpensive, way to go. At least this way I can build my RS2 as new from the ground up with all the options I choose.

It is possible that we could argue the historical significance of the RS2. I looked into this a few years ago to when I was thinking I would attempt importation of a complete RS2. I even spoke with the guy who argued for the sport quattro and suceeded to get some information. Then I found the RS2 shell.......the rest is, or will be, history.

Comment

Oh - its YOUR fault then - LOL - I'm kidding...

Doesn't that say something for the RS2 if that NHTSA guy you spoke to was getting tired of all the calls about how to import one ? That seriously proves there is a demand for that car on the show circuit as it must have some inherent historical importance.

I'm still not 100% sure how you'll get that thing registered when its built this way, but I seem to recall you said you have some personal contacts in that department who can swing it for you. Seems to me you are gonna need to call that favour in.
          Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'm still not 100% sure how you'll get that thing registered when its built this way, but I seem to recall you said you have some personal contacts in that department who can swing it for you. Seems to me you are gonna need to call that favour in.
            It won't be easy, even with help on the inside. I'm not going to sweat it. Even if, for some reason, I won't be able to register it as I won't be driving it back and forth to work everyday. Worst case I don't get it registered and I trailer it to shows and track events. I'm pretty happy with worst case.

Comment

Well yeah - even the fedz can't stop you taking it out for a blat round the track at Chateau Elan - forget its proper name now, but I dare say you know that part of your back yard
              Paul Nugent

Comment

This is the normal list for regular importing, not too many options. This does not include vehicles over 25 years old as there is no restriction to those bar emissions and DOT approved bumpers after some date, Nov 1973 comes to mind.

Comment

Well yeah - even the fedz can't stop you taking it out for a blat round the track at Chateau Elan - forget its proper name now, but I dare say you know that part of your back yard
                  Nope....unless they send Chuck Norris.

Ah yes, Road Atlanta. I was there with the Audi Club this past Spring. We were unable to get a date in 2008 I guess I'll hit a Porsche Club event. I can't wait to see the looks that I'll get in the typ85 90q turbo.

Comment

Road Atlanta - the very place... I once watched a Petit Le Mans race there in 99 or 2000... and also an accidental visitor one day we were heading North and hooked up with a convoy of Ferraris - we figured they mustabeen going for a nice day out so followed them up to their track day. Some mighty nice sights and sounds
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                      Road Atlanta - the very place... I once watched a Petit Le Mans race there in 99 or 2000... and also an accidental visitor one day we were heading North and hooked up with a convoy of Ferraris - we figured they mustabeen going for a nice day out so followed them up to their track day. Some mighty nice sights and sounds
                      Nice indeed. Don Panoz has dropped some serious coin on the facilities recently. Petit Le Mans has help increase the awareness of the track also. I've been to every PLM since its beginning. I used to host the Audi Club corral in the infield up until two years ago. Now I go incognito in my turbo diesel crew cab F250 4x4 truck with a huge barbeque grill in tow. My mates have nicknamed it the race support vehicle It also make for a get viewing stand.

You need to come back and go to PLM again. I'll do the cooking.

RE the Ferraris. I'm bet those guys were heading to Ferrari Day at Road Atlanta. I was blessed with an invite from the guys at Ferrari/Maserati of Atlanta three years ago. Talk about nice. The owner of the local dealer has a nice collection consisting of an Enzo, F55, F40, 550, Testarossa, 333SP, and a 288 GTO(my favorite). I need to make more money.

Comment

• hi,

this isn´t my RS2. It´s the car from a friend.

I´m located in Southern Germany, round about 100kilometres north of Ingolstadt.

If you´re in Germany let me know, perhaps we can arrange a meeting with some other cars.

a perfect date would be the 14./15.06.2008. On this weekend in June is THE great Audi-Meeting in Switzerland, where a lot of interesting things are to be looked at.

Some small impressions 2007:

the statistic 2007:

Model Anzahl
                        quattro 49
                        sport quattro 3
                        50 3
                        80 11
                        90 5
                        100 5
                        200 4
                        V8 2
                        80 Cabriolet 8
                        Coupé 89 4
                        Coupé 85 7
                        Coupé S 3
                        A3 6
                        A4 11
                        A6 6
                        A8 2
                        S3 11
                        S4 17
                        S6 12
                        S6 Plus 5
                        S8 3
                        S2 Coupé 28
                        S2 Avant 13
                        S2 Limousine 10
                        RS2 Avant 29
                        RS4 Avant 5
                        RS4 Limousine 1
                        RS6 Avant 1
                        TT 5
                        Q7 1
                        NSU TT 5
                        Total 275
                        the statistic is really imressive, the numbers of cars are increasing from year to year...

for more pictures check out my homepage on "Treffen-Galerie", or the homepage of the team from Switzerland. I think your buddy from switzerland, (if it is tots) will be there too...

This is the direct homepage with also a lot of fotos.
                        http://www.gr-audi.ch

If you can arrange to be in Germany at this time, it would be no problem for me take you with us to the meeting.

also you can check out german "Autobahn" without general speed-limit.

as you can see there are many facts which are it worth to come to germany if it is possible.

also our friends from Great Britain are welcome, if there are some buddys interested in, my offer stands...

wolfgang
                        S2 Coupe ABY
                        S2 Sedan
                        S6 20V Avant
                        www.audis2.de

Comment

• Wolfgang,

Thanks for the invite to the Treffen. I was planning on attending this year if the exchange rate doesn't get any worse.

I've been to Europe many times. Here is a picture of the Bodensee (from the Swiss side) in 2007. These two guys would not get out of the way!

DSC02694.JPG

I would love to meet you during my trip. I'll send you a PM.
                          Last edited by saltinot; 18 November 2018, 06:38.

Comment

• Engine clean up and trim update

With the help of Jonas_R I now have last three peices of door trim. Jonas did all the leg work from Denmark and I am forever indebted.

I now have all the part to have the car painted. Hopefully I can take the car to the paint shop within the next two weeks. I also have my first child, a boy, coming during the next two weeks so I might have to wait.

With the exchange rate in the toilet I've decided to shift gears a bit. I decided to buy a blast cabinet to get the some parts cleaned up. I got myself 50lbs of glass bead to help get things going. I've found that media blasting can be very addictive. My wife is already complaining that I'm spending too much time in my garage.

I snapped a few quick pictures of the results. I should have done a before and after.

DSC01136.JPG

DSC01137.JPG

More to come!
                            Last edited by saltinot; 18 November 2018, 06:45.

Comment

• Monsieur Saltinot - with these pictures you are really spoiling us

Seriously though... I was thinking of exactly the same bit of gear to impart a nice finish to the inlet ports of that head I'm working on. How much moolah are we talking here, before I waste any time thinking further.

Just as important - how much space does such a blast cabinet need, and how much air (cfm) to drive the beadblat gun ?
                              Paul Nugent

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                                Monsieur Saltinot - with these pictures you are really spoiling us

Seriously though... I was thinking of exactly the same bit of gear to impart a nice finish to the inlet ports of that head I'm working on. How much moolah are we talking here, before I waste any time thinking further.

Just as important - how much space does such a blast cabinet need, and how much air (cfm) to drive the beadblat gun ?
                                Cheers, I have more if you like?

The cabinet delivered costs around 600 USD. I bought a top loader which saves wall space in the garage. This includes 50lbs(19kg) of glass bead media. I've been using glass bead media for the cleaning of all the aluminium parts as it removes the crud, but doesn't pit the metal. After a session in the cabinet the parts have a very nice satin finish.

bought from here

Yes, the cabinet does require a good compressor with a high CFM rate. I've been using my 5hp 25gal(10 litres) compressor (rated 9.3 CFM @ 90psi) in conjunction with a 60gal(227 litre) aux tank and it is still not enough. I got approval from the control tower(wife) last night to buy a new one. A 5hp 2-stage 60 gal Ingersoll Rand T30 series (2340L5) has been ordered as of this morning. I had to work fast before she changes her mind! I hope 14.8 CFM at 175 PSI is enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X