Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh - dealer plate you say, that and knowing folk is the secret sauce I guess.

I never did make it to Rome, GA but I once got nabbed in a speed trap coming back from Dublin (damn yellow car was spotted from miles away) and had several trips to Athens.

I always thought a good rip up Highway 9 into the hills would be great territory for a quattro but I was mostly drivin Fords then.

Good luck with the big build and PM me if you need any help if I miss some important threads on wiring and such. Have you got RS2 looms there already ? Are you up on the structure of the wiring connector options under the fusebox & relay panels for starters ?

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yellow will get you almost as bad as red. I guess that's why they paint our roadway "caution" signs yellow.

Up in those hills is where I live! I'm about 18 miles west of Dahlonega, GA. It is great up here for quattros. I prefer my turbo 4000, your 80q, for a ride in the mtns. It's especially fun on racing slicks. If you ever over this way make sure you give me a ring so we can get together.

I'm not too overly familiar with that layout, but I bought a 1995 90q as a parts donor for this project. I've pulled the dashboard and took a few pictures along the way to have as a reference. The central harness will be transplanted along with the auto climate control, etc. I have imported the complete RS2 engine harness, front lighting/horn harness, and rear hatch harness (complete with broken wires at the hinge ) I also imported the RS2 battery harness which I'm sure I'll need a little help placing as I don't have a reference for this.

Thank you for offering your assistance Paul, I'll give you a shout when I hit a snag.
      Last edited by saltinot; 23 February 2008, 13:14.

Comment

Hi Tom,
        Ur s4/s6 was an interesting project and looked well after. I like it.
        But RS2 is really crazy, u r our idol now )

All of us are curios how you deal with registration and rest that crap after ur done with the car. I hope your way is fine and GA ppl are more open for car enthusiasts than NY/NJ ppl are.
        BTW A couple of months ago I have seen a RHD ~2004 Land Rover with GB license plates. I followed the guy and spoke to him on a mall praking lot. He was so sure he could easily register the car in here. Regret I haven't seen him after to figure out how he had been doing with that.

Good luck
        P.S. Why don't we have such a nice thing as S2 Avant
        princepolo vel. oliwer78

urS6 USAspecs
        urS4 USAspecs
        80 quattro "Competition" Edition
        sigpic

Comment

Tom - this is an excellent project!

I'm often in North Florida and get up to Savannah once in a while, so perhaps I'll get to see her in the flesh one day...
          Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

mmmmm, she's gonna look perty in blue...

so what set of porsche wheels are you gonna run....17/18 in cup 1's? or some easier gotten porsche wheels on our shores? I know there are a few of the uber rare 18x8.5 cup1's floatin around...
            darnded anton ( ) got himself a set for his rs2 coupe

Comment

Originally posted by princepolo View Post
              Hi Tom,
              Ur s4/s6 was an interesting project and looked well after. I like it.
              But RS2 is really crazy, u r our idol now )
              Thanks for the comliments on "Essie". I still have her and she's driven very frequently. I love the look of the C4 chassis...especially in pearl white.

Originally posted by CliveH View Post
              Tom - this is an excellent project!

I'm often in North Florida and get up to Savannah once in a while, so perhaps I'll get to see her in the flesh one day...
              Thanks! Let me know when you're around and maybe we can get you up to Atlanta.

Originally posted by s2 on the way View Post
              mmmmm, she's gonna look perty in blue...

so what set of porsche wheels are you gonna run....17/18 in cup 1's? or some easier gotten porsche wheels on our shores? I know there are a few of the uber rare 18x8.5 cup1's floatin around...
              darnded anton ( ) got himself a set for his rs2 coupe
              Yep, the blue will be incredible. I can't wait to see it!

I'm going to run the factory Cup I wheels, but would like to have a set of the 18's like GT500 and Anton. I've liked them since I saw them years ago in the Nothelle '95 Catalog. In the brochure there is a pic of a silver RS2 with them.

I might spring for a set of RH P-3.8 wheels later. With an RS center cap, I think these would be striking and perfect for the auto show judges.
              Last edited by saltinot; 23 February 2008, 13:02.

Comment

is it at all possible to import an rs2 into the us as scrap, show car, race car?? what would be the best way to approach this?? i have decided that i cannot live without one and will go to the ends of the earth to acquire one..

Comment

Originally posted by eldopa69 View Post
                  is it at all possible to import an rs2 into the us as scrap, show car, race car?? what would be the best way to approach this?? i have decided that i cannot live without one and will go to the ends of the earth to acquire one..
                  The RS2 tops the "not eligible for importation" list per the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
                  See here Only as parts.

not importable.jpg

Originally posted by eldopa69 View Post
                  i have decided that i cannot live without one and will go to the ends of the earth to acquire one..
                  Me too
                  Last edited by saltinot; 18 November 2018, 06:33.

Comment

great project, mate.

i´m also thinking of such an project, the broken cars are really often available nowadays.

if you need some parts or other information, let me know i´ll have a look in order to help you.

The chosen rims are quite a good idea.

As you can see on the RS2 on my homepage:

really a beauty, isn´t it?

cheers,

wolfgang
                    S2 Coupe ABY
                    S2 Sedan
                    S6 20V Avant
                    www.audis2.de

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                      The RS2 tops the "not eligible for importation" list per the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
                      See here Only as parts.

Yes it's not allowed to imported under the show and display rule. It's not on the huge list they have on their website either of cars that can be imported either. How are you planning to register this when it gets completed? I know that import laws apply federally as well as by state too; will Georgia allow you to register this as well or will you have to register it in another state?

Comment

I"m sure you are already all squared away on parts, but did you ever look into finding an old beat rs2, having it cut in half and shipping each half in containers as parts....
                        then you have everything in one lump.....
                        you still have to either swap shells like you did, or you could re-weld it with some extra supports, then the good ol vin swappge....
                        sounds so tempting to me

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang View Post
                          great project, mate.

i´m also thinking of such an project, the broken cars are really often available nowadays.

if you need some parts or other information, let me know i´ll have a look in order to help you.

The chosen rims are quite a good idea.

As you can see on the RS2 on my homepage:

really a beauty, isn´t it?

cheers,

wolfgang
                          Thanks Wolfgang. I appreciate your offer to help out with my project. I visit Germany often....maybe Ican see your RS2 in person one day? Where are you located?

I love your wheels....and the car. My RS2 will be the twin once I'm finished. I have actually already found your website some time ago and was delighted to find the pictures with the 3-peice Cup wheels there. It's a great looking car.

Is that the Votex rear spoiler or a part from someone else? I have a new Votex one, but I'm still not sure I want to use it or not?

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                            See here Only as parts.

Me too
                            Who would ever have thunk that the Audi RS2 could make the same list as a Trabant !

Gave me a chuckle thats for sure. Out of interest, does anyone know the rules or guidelines for when a car gets onto the 'eligible' list for showcar purposes ?

Paul
                            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                              Who would ever have thunk that the Audi RS2 could make the same list as a Trabant !

Gave me a chuckle thats for sure. Out of interest, does anyone know the rules or guidelines for when a car gets onto the 'eligible' list for showcar purposes ?

Paul
                              The cars eligible for the "show and display" are ones that have a strong historical or technogical significance.

Comment

Which means that all someone needs to do is befriend the NHTSA and lobby them with evidence of the RS2 historical significance - I don't think you'd convince them on technical grounds as all the essential elements of the RS2 exist on the UrS4/S6.

I'll help anyone that wants to try this with some words on the historical side - doesn't cost anything, but I'd imagine there is a bit of an old buddy network required to get even considered for such a thing - or is there a genuinely open way that enthusiasts and manufacturers can approach the NHTSA for consideration ?

PAul
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X