X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    It's in!!!
    All wnt quite smoothly, I gave the engine bay a good clean and painted the chassis legs with POR15. Fitted a re-con ABY steering arack and a new damper whilst I has access. Still a grade 1 pain the the *** though, anybody who tries to do this with the engine in is seriousley deranged
    Looks like the cam pulley is hitting the bonnet, not by much though. I think the removal of the trim on the bonnet and spacing the engine mounts down by 5mm with fix it, but thats a job for tomorrow.
    The cam pulley? heh would never have figured that, which mount are you going to space?

I found if I spaced the turbo side mount the hotside hit the chassis and got away with doing the rad side only

Comment

• Well done getting it in and looks fantastic. You are not wrong on the rack...was the reason i had to get mine out as there was just no room to do it in situ with the engine in there.

Great feeling when it goes back in, yet still a fair bit to do before you can turn the key but home straight non the less
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
        The cam pulley? heh would never have figured that, which mount are you going to space?

I found if I spaced the turbo side mount the hotside hit the chassis and got away with doing the rad side only
        I was going to space them down evenly, I think there is enough clearance on the hotside to drop it 5mm, but I'm going to have to cut the airbox mounting brkt off as it's fouling the coolant line for the turbo.

sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
          I was going to space them down evenly, I think there is enough clearance on the hotside to drop it 5mm, but I'm going to have to cut the airbox mounting brkt off as it's fouling the coolant line for the turbo.
          I had to cut that off as well

Have you got a .63 hotside then?

Comment

• Looking good

What's the details on the exhaust that your making then??
            Last edited by Ross; 30 May 2010, 23:30.
            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• I've removed the bonnet trim and it now closes, but it was still close so I've fitted 4mm spacers on both engine mounts and it clears a treat now

Ross, the exhaust is going to be 3" from the turbo to the rear drive shaft where it will join an off the shelf 2.75" Jetex back box. T2Andy has a similar setup on his car and it sounds nice, not too loud.
              sigpic

Comment

• great work, looking forward to seeing it in action

Did you recon the rack yourself or buy one off the shelf Andy?
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  great work, looking forward to seeing it in action

Did you recon the rack yourself or buy one off the shelf Andy?
                  I had a go at rebuilding it myself, but it leaked, badly I know 3 people who have re-built racks using the Audi seal kit and they have all leaked worse than before they were rebuilt. Not sure if we were all doing something wrong or what. I ended up sending the rack here:-

http://www.westernpowersteering.co.uk/

They had a rebuilt one on the shelf and I had it back in 48Hrs. Fingers crossed it's ok, if I have to take it out again somebodies in trouble
                  sigpic

Comment

• Cool thanks Andy.
                    Been looking at the options as I have heard of these leaks after rebuilds, plus I had to destroy one rack to get the cap off the end to get the pinion out so lost a bit of confidence about rebuilding any ABY to lob in mine at some point.
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Hit a bit of a snag last night which meant this evening I had to pull the engine out again
                      I went to fit the timing sensors last night and the top one would not slide all the way into it mounting brkt. The reason turned out to be the fact that the sensor was sat proud of the block face by about 1mm, so when the gearbox was bolted up it would not go in. No way of modifying it without taking the engine out again.

This is the sensor in the block

Marked up gearbox for cutting

Done

I must be getting good at this, I had the engine out, modified and put back in an evening
                      I can start again with the assembly now.
                      sigpic

Comment

• what a nightmare
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• Still at least its something that you can sort quickly and easily without costing you mega bucks

Comment

• Made some progess on wiring and ancilleries over the past week. The wiring on the left side of the engine was a mess and I've ended up cutting out sections of the loom and re-making them. This included wiring in fitting new knock sensors and wiring a new MFTS sensor and plug and the 95° after run pump sensor.

All the coolant and breather hoses are new from Roose and are almost all fitted, only stopped because I ran out of posh new stainless Mikalor clamps.
                            Fitted the PS pump and a belt from an E28 BMW 528i meant that the brkt did not need modifying

Clears the inlet manifold too, just

Still got to make a brkt to mount the new 14" Pacet fan and sort out how to make the airbox fit.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Looks great, I had no idea you where using an oem Inlet manifold.. How come?
                              91 S2 coupé - RIP
                              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                                Looks great, I had no idea you where using an oem Inlet manifold.. How come?
                                I had to draw a line somewhere! I'll upgrade it to a Wagner reverse inlet at a later date.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X