No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's nothing wrong with cone filters the problem is getting cold air to it as the OEM position it just gets hot air mainly from the manifold which is what Espen is saying.

Comment

• It's the same as fitting a 300hp turbo and then running a 5" exhaust.
      It does not matter how big your exhaust is, you are not going to gain any more power.

Exactly the same in this case. If the bottleneck is in a certain spot you will gain absolutely nothing by screwing around in other places.
      The engine is quite literally an air pump. The inlet of your air pump is more than big enough to work with an air pump even almost twice the size, so no matter how much you increase it you are not going to gain anything else.

This is assuming there is any restriction in the first place and the pod filter even flows better at all.
      Empirical dyno tests show this NOT to be the case on MANY different cars. This whole cone filter thing is a scam.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Thanks guys... i think that summaries it well and will not bother with it.

I need to set your status to "PRJ - quite literally just an air pump"
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• The cone filter is all about the noise in my opinion. Goes hand in hand with big exhausts on small NA cars that create more noise and degrade the torque curve... If you want a bit more induction noise the BMC foam filter gives a little more, and hasnt fallen apart in my airbox. It did allow the engine to ingest some tiny foam bits from the bonnet liner which cause it to run like s**t for a few miles though.
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Id echo the cone filter comments. I tried one years ago before I had the RS2 box and there was a noticeable difference.

If anything look at how you could increase airflow. maybe inlet through front wing with the louvre panels

Like this maybe http://www.venommotorsport.com/produ...ry=Bodystyling

Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Oh god, not sure i could cut the wings out to install vents... maybe let Ish consider that when i finally let him have the car for painting / bodywork

Ross, how does the BMC foam filter compare to the pipercross filter? Mine managed to destroy one very quickly hence why i went back to a K&N filter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                Id echo the cone filter comments. I tried one years ago before I had the RS2 box and there was a noticeable difference.

If anything look at how you could increase airflow. maybe inlet through front wing with the louvre panels

Like this maybe http://www.venommotorsport.com/produ...ry=Bodystyling

I'm going to use one of those from a T4 van in my front wing. I'll post some pics up when I fit it.

If you make a decent heatsheild there is no reason the air from a cone filter will be any hotter than with an airbox.
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Well my BMW foam filter was still in one piece last time I risked losing fingers opening the airbox... 10k miles no issues. I'll check + clean it whilst she's off the road now.
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• The only way to properly do a cone is with the MTM style airbox.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• This is what I'm hoping mine will look like

sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Or how I did mine. Completely shielded with a 3" pipe/air scoop that passes through the inner wing to get cold air..

Comment

• vent image

Vent image.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Doesn't look half bad... something for ish to consider.

Comment

• The filter sits in a very hot location, right next to the manifold and turbo, so a shield for a cone filter must be close to airtight, as the engine will suck hot air through any opening.
                              The RS2 airbox even has a heat shield on the outside of the sealed airbox, and I don't think Porsche did that for fun. (not sure if the ABY, etc. box has that sheld).
                              (Edit: I see now that the ABY box has a heat shield over the lower part of the box, while the RS2 box has a shield over the upper part as well)

Easy to test various setups by logging IAT (in similar ambient conditions) with Vagcom (even the £5 cables will do this)
                              Last edited by EspenW; 12 June 2014, 13:31.
                              1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                              1994 80E Avant
                              1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

• My mushroom air filter with the makeshift heatshield works nicely for me. It only gets too hot after a long drive and a standstill or the car parked. The combination of a big intercooler once you get driving again rarely goes anywhere above 8C- 10C from ambient when been left standing. On most occasions it's 5C more than ambient and if the water meth comes in it drops fast

Comment

Working...
                                X