No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm. That is weird. My southbend is still going and hasn't had an issue other than the bearing breaking down soon. I'm replacing that with a metal one now.

Comment

• Out of interest, what spec Southbend unit did you have fitted Andy?
      An over-powered clutch does not last long, whatever it's rating.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• It was the same as I have fitted; Stage-2 endurance, with an organic/ferrous friction plate. Interesting to see that they no longer offer this combination, you have to buy the stage-3 pressure plate. If I recall the rating on this was 415ft/lb so Andy is right on the limit, perhaps a little over.

The thing is there wasn't any signs of an issue - I don't know the cause of the failure but sounds to me like the friction plate is the point of failure here, Andy wasn't aware until it was stripped down and there had been no slip.

A bit worrying, my car is making daft midrange torque so I doubt I'm too far behind his figures, but it's far less sustained as mine only see's normal road driving. Andy's car sees a lot of sustained track action until high load, seems it's not quite up to the task when on the limits of it's power rating.
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Yeah that's why I went stage 4

Comment

• Ross, i'm fairly certain we both have the stage 3 endurance. IIRC we looked at the stage 2, saw they were a bit on the limit torque-wise and Marc couldn't get hold of any regardless so we got the stage 3.

There was no warning of the "failure". I still need to get some pics when i see the parts that have come off, but as i understand it part of the sintered section has come loose and worn away grooves on the friction plate and flywheel.

I didn't notice any real difference with driving, but i'd had gear-shift issues into 2nd anyway so had been taking it easy after Wales. Perhaps this happened at the same time.

The car does get used hard on track a few times a year and on driving weekends - but it does not get launched every day of the week. I think i've only used the launch control on the car and actually dumped the clutch twice for fear of twisting driveshafts or leaving my diff behind!
            S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Confirmed - we did indeed order the Stage 2, but with none in stock they sent out the Stage 3 instead. So it's a Stage-3 endurance with a 485ft/lb limit which we are well within.
              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• In my case on my urs4, pp give up after 1 launch on southbend stage 3+ or whatever is called. Used for about 5 or 6k miles on a normal driving and 1 launch . Pressure plate was the weak link ,disc was welded on in after that launch ,I had used a chisel to take them apart . Went in the end for a Sre 07 and 6 puck sprung disc ,they been holding perfect no issues or slipping on lc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ross View Post
                  Confirmed - we did indeed order the Stage 2, but with none in stock they sent out the Stage 3 instead. So it's a Stage-3 endurance with a 485ft/lb limit which we are well within.
                  Wouldn't say you guys are well within that units capacity, if you're around 440-450lbft you're at 90% of its capability, given the OEM clutch will hold 50% more than its rated for, that is the kind of margin you need to aim for to achieve any kind of reliabilty IMHO
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Indeed mine dyno'd at 442lb-ft, but i'd still expect a clutch rated for 485lb-ft to cope with more than 4-5k miles of use!

Will send some pics and open some dialogue with Southbend.

Comment

• Stock 3B clutch currently taking chipped RS2 spec and some launches without too much complaint. Shame that these uprated clutches don't deliver similar headroom.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Had a good progress update with Will. I'll be picking up the car on Saturday ready for mapping on Sunday...

The cams/pulley have been installed along with a belt/water pump change.

Fluid change on the gearbox, brakes and engine oil.

The new flywheel and clutch are going in today, the gearbox synchro's have been replaced and that's back in.

Aquamist kit is being installed, we've gone for a separate tank in the boot to increase capacity and separate the fuel source so it's not in the engine-bay.

The brakes are having new discs/pads all round so that should solve any problems there as the calipers are fine.

A few other bits and bobs, but all getting there

Comment

• How much was the 'box refresh? It's something I may consider...
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Synchro and gear unit was bought together for £250 i think it was, plus £30 for the Millers oil refresh and labour +VAT.

Not certain what the labour is just yet until i pick the car up tomorrow.

Comment

• £270 + vat for 1st and 2nd gear synco kit (carbon) £275 + vat to fit to the gearbox its self. plus gearbox removal etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by will20v View Post
                                £270 + vat for 1st and 2nd gear synco kit (carbon) £275 + vat to fit to the gearbox its self. plus gearbox removal etc.
                                Bargain!
                                RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                                BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                                LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Working...
                                X