• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get ready your pockets Andy
    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• The beauty of it is i already have most of the parts and it should be very cost-effective

The brakes and gearbox need doing regardless, i can't drive the car properly until this is done.

The flywheel is being replaced because the gearbox is out anyway, so very cost-effective.

I have the cams etc, so again just installation costs, and the RS2 exhaust cam will hopefully recoup some costs.

If i change the inlet then the rs2 airbox sale will do the same.

The map will need to be tweaked for the cams, so a good time to do the WMI, which in-itself is a very cost-effective modification

Mostly, it's just labour costs
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Is your bottom end zero balanced? Flywheel will make a nice difference to pickup in 1/2/3 but going that light might make idle a little lumpy.

Are you going to run both 7A cams, or just the exhaust? Other option is to get some NM cams from the 2.0 20V.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• I would say that flywheel is too light if you are going to have any everyday use. You want it around 8kg

5kg is similar to the Fidanza flywheel which was not very nice in the S2, ex parts daddy can give you a verdict as he had one in his car.

Comment

• Interesting points guys, which i hadn't considered.

I sent Will the 034 link and he said he had something similar but local and billeted steel not aluminium - but the 034 is 8.2kg and VRS 5.2kg, so quite a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
              The beauty of it is i already have most of the parts and it should be very cost-effective

The brakes and gearbox need doing regardless, i can't drive the car properly until this is done.

The flywheel is being replaced because the gearbox is out anyway, so very cost-effective.

I have the cams etc, so again just installation costs, and the RS2 exhaust cam will hopefully recoup some costs.

If i change the inlet then the rs2 airbox sale will do the same.

The map will need to be tweaked for the cams, so a good time to do the WMI, which in-itself is a very cost-effective modification

Mostly, it's just labour costs

That's Man Maths if I ever I've seen it !

Ignore me, I'm just jealous.

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure about the lightened flywheels but of you were to fit a 7A one your clutch kit wouldn't work. I had to ditch mine from the dual mass to go to the single mass and get the appropriate southbend kit.

I'd agree with the above. Going too light on the flywheel is not good for everyday driving.

Comment

• Ask Jamil ( VolcanoRS ) he's got a really light flywheel on his shorty and I'm sure he regrets getting it lightend so much.
                  sigpic
                  1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                  1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                  1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Sounds like I need to talk to will about the weight of it.

Comment

• Why not use a 3B flywheel?

Comment

• I have DM clutch which i dont want to change. The FW i have is a direct bolt-on fitment with no other changes.

As i understand it a 3B or 7A flywheel requires a SM clutch to fit. I actually have a 7A FW in the garage if anyone wants one?

I'm fortunate in that the car isn't used for daily driving - it's used exclusively for track or weekend hoon action

Comment

• Well If it's exclusive for that then might as well use the 5 kg flywheel then

Comment

• I'd be sticking with an 8-9kg flywheel personally... Its still predominantly a road car and you want to keep it pretty driveable. Otherwise you'd have perspex windows and stripped the imterior by now.

As for the inlet, i'd say get a K&N to test back to back on a dyno if you want. Reverting from the dahlback kit to RS2 box made no percievable driving difference on my RS2 at 375hp. Less noise altered perception a bit. It was better picking up in 1st from a standstill with the airbox though, lesser heat soak.
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• A compromise too far I think, it will be awful on the road. Lightened SM will be just the ticket IMHO.
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Out of interest what's the reason for everyone thinking it will be too light? I.e what logic or experience? What would make it "awful on the road"?

Note i have neither

Comment

Working...
                                X