• Show
Clear All

• Thank you all!
    Been a long time coming. Not quite there yet, but almost
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Well done Chris as soon as the sun shines we should get e meet sorted....

Great to see you nearly sorted...

Comment

• excelent news!

cant wait to see this on the road and chat in person

Sean.
        1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
        1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
        BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

• A good meet somewhere soon(ish) sounds good.
          Would love to see your ur too!
          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• At last I will be picking the car up next week as final tweaks for idle and low speed ware completed yesterday.
            Due to high boost levels (over 2 bar) breather will have to vent to air.
            Few things left to do to comp-letely finish car off but drivable. YIPPPPEEEEEE!
            Tuner thinks I will be well pleased. He told me it is shocking and relentless and that I should be prepared to pooh my pants
            Can't wait for next week now

Oh and have car insured through Adrian Flux for £596, limited to 5000 miles, Ageed Value and breakdown cover
            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• good to hear mate, I did bump the thread on passionford the other day

Comment

• Excellent news Chris. Hope to see it soon then.

Comment

• OK, the big day cometh. Car taxed today. Picking her up on Tuesday from Dover.
                  Only 120 miles to get home Yippee - roll on Tuesday
                  Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                  20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• amazing!

can i come have a look when you get her home?

Comment

• Whereabouts are you?
                      Still fair few things to do to male the car look respectable and do it justice. Bits like a fog light hole cover or perhaps an air duct to fill the hole as example. But the engine will be there to see .
                      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Fair play Chris you deserve a little fun more than any man I have met....

We must get together.

All the best.

Darren

Comment

• A short movie with the car running....please!!!!!

Comment

• Im in Essex, Chelmsford/Brentwood mate

always willing to help turn a few spanners too if you ever need a hand

Comment

• @Eugen, all in good time

@Sean, many thanks. I'll be taking my car to Chelmsford soon to have some electrics done. Perhaps can hook up then.

Cheers
                              Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                              20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• ok, picked the car up today finally after a four and half year wait!

Fisrst off, car was started up and the sound from the new back box was music to my ears. Deep and purposeful. Thought perhaps just sounded good as I had not heard it for so long, but no, it sounds great!

I was then taken for a test drive. The roads unfortunately were still somewhat wet and slushy so it was decided to 'take it easy'. My good God!

Off boost the car drives fantastic and is so smooth yet reasonably fast.

However, the 6 speed diesel gearbox with longer gears coupled to the engine and turbo mods has completely transformed the car. At around 2700rpm you awaken the turbo as it begins to spin. By 3000rpm you are launched into the distance all the way to the rev limitier at 7200. Bounce off, change cogs and it happens all over again. THe thing is incredible, relentless and simply shocking. As a passenger I was quite frightened (read shat my pants! lol).

More good news to follow.

I then drove the car myself on the long journey home from Dover. I cant begin to describe the difference this gearbox has made for long journeys. No longer does the engine scream at 4000+rpm at 80ish (:smilewinkgrinMPH as it did with the 016. Instead, 6th gear gives the same speed at around 2200RPM - completely off boost. 65 can be had at 1600 in 6th and the car still pootles along. One slight gripe is that at these speeds the exhaust drones a bit. Sorted if you fancy changing down one gear. In 5th, 65 is at 2000.

Already I have learnt that to get up and moving quickly at these speeds, I need to downshift two gears.

And another lovely surprise. The gear shift Patrick Carlier adapted to fit the 016 quick shift, despite all the earlier problems makes each gear change such a pleasure. Precise and not too much travel.

So my verdict after my first drive.

IT'S ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

Now I need to get the interior back in and get the car up to Coventry to sort out the air filter. A few other bits and pieces and then some happy motoring I hope.
                                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X