sjw185 aby to rs2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
    Did you manage to bleed the system? Looks like a good day out. The fog light idea I like though.
    I have some braided hoses to fit front and back so was going to upgrade fluid to Motul 660 and bleed the clutch at the same time.
    Want to try some brake cooling or intake air with fogslight ducts but chassis legs are pretty close.

Comment

• Removed the silver carbon wrap as I made a hash of it and black looks alot better.
      3M stuff is much nicer to work with

silver roof.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

Comment

• Track car cooling fan

With the problem of running the ABY fan at full speed only on 3b wiring I looked at options for cooling.
        Option 1 was find a resistor and install full ABY setup (resistor could only be found on AT so same as NLA)
        Option 2 was to fit 12inch Spal fan p/n 30102038 1640CFM fitted to the 3b metal cowl with welded tabs
        Option 3 was 16inch Spal fan p/n 30102803A 2016CFM fitted direct to the radiator.
        I wanted a more compact/lighter set up so I went for the 16inch and thought I would fit with a manual override switch to use at track days when queuing or cool down.

3b Cowl

IMG_7489.jpgfans.jpg16inch and aby

Swapped the thermostat control wires red/green with green/black to make use of J135 3rd stage relay with 4mm cable on first stage temperature switching.
        Wired a manual control into my unused front fog lamp switch.
        Maybe I can use F54 thermostat as a high temp warning.
        Fan comes with Delphi 630 connector so ordered the female from ebay.

IMG_7801.jpg3b fan switch mod.jpgIMG_7816.jpg

It works very well so far keeps the car at 90 when idling very similar to stock set up with cutting in and out times.
        Using the override switch sees the temp dropping even more.
        Only problem with the 16inch and the 80mm Aluminum radiator is the space near the chassis leg.
        I will get away with using brackets on engine side and through radiator rods on the other.
        Maybe later I can move radiator a bit more forward or modify chassis leg slightly.

IMG_7777.jpg

Comment

• thanks for the write up, its a little tight near the chassis leg like you say. Does the new fan have a lower current draw too?
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Spal fan runs at 31amps so reckon its around 370watt.
            With the bigger blades I reckon it must be as efficient as ABY .
            Full speed on the 500 watt ABY is about 41amps
            I would be interested to find out current draw on the ABY second stage as it takes care of most of the cooling.

Last edited by sjw185; 17 December 2019, 04:09.

Comment

• Some more wee jobs done on the 3b.

Trying to get the gear selector to work better I came across a mod to use part 893711615A selector joint but the fixing bolt to the gear selector rod is at a different angle.
              Manage to knock out the 2 pins and replace the internal parts with original body and bolt back into position.
              Made a bit of difference but selector still is a bit sticky on 1st and 2nd

IMG_7908.jpg IMG_7911.jpg

Fitted new dished steering wheel and installed harnesses.
              Adjusted seats, want to replace golf subframes with weld in bars to get the seat lower for best driving position.

IMG_7758.jpg IMG_7996.jpg IMG_7994.jpg

Had a go at doing a windscreen banner which turned out nice.

IMG_8023.jpg

Last edited by sjw185; 16 December 2019, 06:59.

Comment

• On the 24th of November got to the last track day of the year at Crail.
                It was pretty damp but all went well with no more clutch issues and cooling fan worked good.
                The harnesses and steering wheel make such a difference.
                Had a few hairy moments but found when it was sliding and drifting on all fours it was quite controllable

IMG_8073.jpg IMG_8080.jpg Untitled.png

Comment

• Which steering wheel did you go for? I could do with a bit more reach on mine so I can sit a bit more comfortably.
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                    Which steering wheel did you go for? I could do with a bit more reach on mine so I can sit a bit more comfortably.
                    It's a OMP Corsica got it complete with hub from a seller on ebay.
                    I am 6,3 so it does make it more comfortable to use

Comment

• Removed the wheels for a good clean and washed the 3b for the first time in a couple of years
                      Leaking a bit from rear lights and drivers window trim but looking quite respectable from a distance.

IMG_8106.jpg

Comment

• Car looks good.

Do you have a link to the seller for the steering wheel and some more pictures of it?

How hard was it to do the vinyl. I want to do that with my track day coupe as the paint is shot but can't find a trust worthy place to buy the vinyl from as most I bet comes from china

Comment

• http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/YBRACING
                          I bought a steering wheel /hub kit but I ordered the wrong hub.
                          The guys changed it free of charge correct numbers below.

OD/1960AU147
                          OD/1954/N
                          IMG_8008.jpg IMG_7999.jpg

The wrap on the roof was my 3rd attempt.
                          The cheap stuff is ok but unforgiving if pulled up again or stretched for adjustment.
                          Here is the link to the 3M stuff I used in the end.
                          Peeled backing paper completely off, stuck lightly on the roof to get best position the worked from the center out.
                          Worst bit was tucking it down in front of the windscreen.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-3...72.m2749.l2649

Comment

• Thank you for the links, i'll check them out.

Btw its been years since I saw one of them vent gauge holders. I had one but no idea who I sold it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                              Thank you for the links, i'll check them out.

Btw its been years since I saw one of them vent gauge holders. I had one but no idea who I sold it too.
                              Had gauge holder for years still haven't painted it black, think mine came from JonasR
                              What stage is your track car at?
                              I am still deciding what to do next I have heated screen to go in but was thinking to put front part of cage in first.

Comment

• I think mine was black, I'm currently at the stage with this on collecting parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X