No announcement yet.

My 95 S2 Avant Project. LZ5T Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent photos Eric. I especially like the head liner removal ones because I need to do this for my S4 V8 avant (headliner cloth is trying to take early retirement while the fibreglas "card" remains valiantly glued to the roof. I need to get at this ASAP so thanks for the encouraging photos.

BTW, I might steal the photos of the sunroof cassette to make a post on cleaning the drains. Hope you will approve.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Always ... work away.

Unfortunately I got a slight crease as I was removing it.

I think it will not be visible if I am careful with recovering and refitting.
      Attached Files
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Perfect, thank you TON!!!

Love the project BTW.
        www.quattro.ca
        B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
        B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

• Eric - BTDT with creasing the headliner, I did it to my old one. You can fix it by strengthening it again with two or three sheets of fibreglass on the back
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
            BTW, I might steal the photos of the sunroof cassette to make a post on cleaning the drains. Hope you will approve.
            Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
            Always ... work away. .
            Thanks. I've added the photo below to this post (I'll bring it over here in a day or two).

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/279819.phtml

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              Eric - BTDT with creasing the headliner, I did it to my old one. You can fix it by strengthening it again with two or three sheets of fibreglass on the back
              Sounds like a plan.

Earlier this week, I tried to remove the rear windows, but didnt finish until today.

To remove the bonded rear side window, you have to remove this cover.

These also have to be removed.

I started with a strand of an old handbrake cable, which was stiff enough on its own
              to go through the bond, then in getto fashion attached some handles.

The strand of cable worked fine but I couldn't do the bottom of the window until today. My cheap ebay window removal tool arrived.

Slowly and with multiple passes I cut the bond as close to the metal as possible.
              I didnt want to damage a rubber seal.

Success on both sides.

The trim along the roof has rivets that have to be drilled, but that will be the last thing I do before car goes for paint.

Since the rear windows came out so easily, I decided to tackle my sunroof.

Sunroof is held onto the roof with 10mm nuts and bolts. No drama there.
              The rooflining and metal lid out of the sunroof were also removed.
              Forgot to take pics of that bit.

Corrosion

More.

I decided to clean it and rebuild it and see how it goes.
              After the rooflining and metal lid out of the sunroof

Before removing the motor, I marked the tracks to keep timing correct, if there is any timing.

Then I pulled these out.

Close up of the window cable. This is driven by a gear from the motor, push the cable to open, pulling it to close .

The cable guide is attached to the sunroof by four rivets. I think they were steel rivets.

Rusto removo magico.
              (electrolysis rust removal)

Tomorrow I will reassemble and test. Fingers crossed.
              Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:41.
              Eric

Comment

• Rust removed.

Refinished and greased.

The sunroof panel is attached to the mechanism with 6 torx screws

Back together.

The camera really amplifies the sound, but it does sound fine while operating.

I will be keeping the correct bumper but I also want to be able to fit
                the copy RS2 bumper. Next up, I want to reinforce the mounting bracket as 8 rivets does not a bumper mount make.

Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:41.
                Eric

Comment

• Powering the sunroof off the car is easy , + to the motor side connector, and ground to the switch side connector. This is only for non-preselect sunroof.

Attached Files
                  Eric

Comment

• Great stuff there Eric.

I am not sure how the cables are attached to the motor and the sunroof. Any photos of those?

Comment

• ahh the memories
                      NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                        Great stuff there Eric.

I am not sure how the cables are attached to the motor and the sunroof. Any photos of those?
                        Like this one?

Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:42.
                        Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                          Like this one?
                          No. My bad.

Not electrical "cables" (I would have said "wires"). I meant the push/pull woven steel cables that the motor uses to make the sunroof do tricks, the ones that run inside those newly refurbished and greased cable guides.

Comment

• Ah

Here we go.

Attached Files
                            Eric

Comment

• Closer to my answer. I presume therefore that the "cables" are fed through one end of the quide tube to a certain point?

Comment

• In my case I just market before I took it apart, so I would know how far in the cables should be on reassembly.
                                There are no sensors on the sunroof so, all the "sensing" is done by that black cog, sensing when fully closed, fully open and tilt.

If the cable is timed wrong , It could have stripped the gear or the cable by pulling the sunroof towards beyond the endpoint . Just in case I used a very small SLA battery and low value fuse.
                                This is also the case if you are replacing a motor assembly, they have to be in a matched position.

They cables also have to be matched to each other, otherwise it would jam or worse.
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X