No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renewal of the bilsteins will also be done.
    Luckily i have a set of B8 sprints for the back which i will have converted to B6 sports and reconditioned.Ill only get the fronts and then i will have a complete set of bilsteins as a spare.

Spoken to the mechanic about the head and its getting started. First package from Norway has arrived in Greece and now i await for marc's package!

Comment

• Update:
      Head is getting the seats and guides sorted, Porting is finished(only minor stuff to be done). Then reassembly up to the point of cams fitment

Belts(minus PAS modified): arrived
      Water pump ADU: arrived
      Bolts and bits: arrived
      A/C Dryer: arrived
      OEM top mounts: arrived
      Clutch kit: arrived
      Front Bilstein shocks: arrived
      Injectors EV14 tested/flow matched and flow rates per volts : arrived
      Thermostat: arrived
      Rod RS2 Bearings : arrived
      AEM air filter: arrived(unsure if will be fitted)

Still waiting:
      Cyl.head
      Gasket kits
      Rear Bilsteins(already being picked up and serviced/modified)
      Cobra type hose(for AEM filter)
      Main bearings

Hopefully those bits will be arriving late next week or the beginning of August.

Car has an appointment with a garage for a Brake servo retrofit next week so hopefully that will get sorted. Then the rest while im away in Greece.

Comment

• after parts get installed, few of the old-reusable will be on the sale section. Esp. the southbend clutch kit, which i think im changing merely for safety reasons. Current one has smelled a couple of times, but we will have a look and photograph it to see the state of it.

Comment

• happy times

Comment

• hopefully!

Comment

• I think this thread needs re-naming
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• yes, but the only upgrade is the ported head. Everything else is otherwise replaced with similar parts.

Comment

• rename :-p
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                    I think this thread needs re-naming

Comment

• So, what size EV14's?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Ill tell you what.
                        if the car perfoms on my perfomance boc more than the previous measurement i had with the 3071(0.82AR) which neared 500hp on the PB, i will rename the thread!

Since the 0.63AR is coming in, i believe it wont make more than 470hp, even if i push it to 2bar till the red line.

EV14s are flowmatched for 660cc @ 3bar. From calculations they are good enough for E85 as well, on this setup

Comment

• A little update...

Car is in breaking in stage, with most of that bit already done by Tonks.

All of the engine work was done by Brian Tonks whilst i was away back home and i thank him for all the time, effort and documentation of the process.

As the engine was stripped, we noticed that the cylinder bores were glazed and worn. Pistons were unable to be reused and after a long search of another block without that much wear to reuse my pistons, eventually i ordered stock 81.51mm and ended up with a second hand block/crank to have as a spare.

Head was 7A but the hall sender mount needed rewelding as it was off (Spink, what were you drinking at the time of the welding?? haha only joking!) engine fired up and rings were bedded by Brian.

On the day of the pick up, HUGE thanks to AndyP for saving the day by bringing in the crank seal which had been pushed off and damaged. Thankfully no oil issues since then!

I have completed around 500kms in total and the engine seems fairly loose. The turbo now has a 0.63 turbine housing and a billet TD compressor wheel. Its very lively from early on and up to 1bar that i have tried so far for a short burst it wants to spool early! Mission accomplished i think.

It may be that i havent driven the car for a while but it seems to pull harder even from 0.5bar of boost which i think has to do with the head porting.

I managed to wash her today, but i only have one lousy photo from my phone.

Next things to do are:

Near future:
                          Next week: final oil filter and oil change. Replace the oil pressure sender at the same time.
                          Next couple of weeks: dyno map
                          Also need to check the AC high pressure valve to see if that is the reason why the compressor is not working. If only i had thinner hands!!
                          Next 2-3 months revisit Brian to fit bilstein shocks, renew the springs and fit top mounts,

On the brake servo issue, i must admit, brakes have never been nicer in feel and the system works nicely.

Once again, many thanks to Brian, Andy, Pirvu Eugen and Maries (both!) for their patience!!!

Comment

• What engine work was done Vas?

Comment

• the usual stuff.

all bearings checked and renewed, crank the same (checked), pistons 81.51, bores to fit, baffled sump, head work with 0.5mm oversize valves, ported 7A, same cams (ADU), turbo as mentioned above, and compression ratio i believe closer to 9.3:1 with head skimming and stock dished pistons.

oh and new southbend st4 kit (which wasnt required by the looks of it, but had no way of knowing).
                              Last edited by A80Avant; 25 September 2011, 11:50.

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                                As the engine was stripped, we noticed that the cylinder bores were glazed and worn. Pistons were unable to be reused and after a long search of another block without that much wear to reuse my pistons, eventually i ordered stock 81.51mm and ended up with a second hand block/crank to have as a spare.
                                How come you couldn't find a standard block to overbore to 81.26 - I thought your pistons were 1st oversize?
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X