No announcement yet.

Da Green Monstah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da Green Monstah goes back to da dyno...

Hey Guys

Long time no updates so I thought I'd crosspost some data points for you BEEG Turbo guys. My ITS turbo has gone through a full update by Comp Turbo to make it a CT43-7271. Now this turbo really sucks and I intend to prove it. Some of these pictures maybe too graphic for younger listers.

A sporadic boost issue has been driving Tufty Jones, Brendan Rudak and yours truly very crazy for the last several months. Last week Brendan and I set about logging runs on da computer to see if there was a software issue and everything checked out perfectly. We even tried swapping out the Tial 44mm wastegate for a plug and play Turbosmart WG with a minor change invloving a slightly laggier but still inconsistent boost between 10-15 lbs due to a 7 lb vs 1 bar spring in the Turbosmart WG. Tufty and I finally decided to do an intake tract leak check even though we knew it couldn't be that as this car has basically a full hard pipe tract with the only silicon pieces at the joints for engine flex. This would also eliminate the BOV as a potential source. Well as the pressure built upwards of 30 lbs the only leak we found was from the test valve. The intake was solid. To do the test though, we had to remove the 4" elbow that runs from the air cleaner to the turbo inlet. As Tufty was scratching his head yet again he took a good look at the cleaner and Voila, we had found our "Negative Boostie".

As you can see from this inside view, the plastic frame has broken down. This allowed the cleaner to shrink in on itself as Da BEEG Comp turbo literally sucked the life from its veins. You can also see the crease lines on the outside of the cleaner and visualize what was going on.

This air cleaner was mounted to a 4" aluminum pipe that had a 90 degree bend and the cleaner just hung from the pipe without touching anything else. You can just see the pipe here in this shot.

>

Well mucho thanks to Tufty and Brendan for their continuing help in perfecting this beast. Something tells me this is gonna be a long story. Throughout this all, the car still ran beautifully if somewhat muffled because of the cleaner. I gotta see if I can get a refund or do you think AEM will just laugh???

Well, we were headed to the dyno with Brendan to do some logging to see if my butt dyno was gonna agree wit da Superflow about moh powah foh Da Monstah. I met Brendan at Carz in Lakewood, CO this morning bright and early. Temps were in the high 60s on a gorgeous Colorado Autumn day. The only changes on the car were a set of fresh seals on the Comp Turbo, a new Turbosmart wastegate with a 14lb spring, and 1500 miles of break-in on Da Monstah. To refresh your memory, the car pulled 674hp/591tq with the Tial WG and a 1 bar spring:

You'll notice on the boost curve the tapering of boost from its high of 33 lbs to 27 lbs at the end. This is the part that alerted us to the possibility that the turbo or something else was hampering the all-out power potential. It turned out that it was a combination of the turbo seals being weak and the air filter collapsing in on itself.

So now it was time to get wit the program and see what this thing would do on the rollers. With a couple of shots to the NOS serpentine spray bar to purge the nitrous we were off with a high boost run. This time the car pulled 35lbs of boost. The results were stunning to say the least:

755hp/710tq at the wheels!!!

Unfortunately the sensor the dyno guys were using stopped reading the rpm midway through the run because the motor had torqued itself over from the strain of the pull and moved too far away from the sensor. Yes, I've got it on video if I can just figure out how to upload to Youtube from my Canon/iPhoto. We had to get my car off the dyno so they could do some more VEMS tuning on BABS' car so we pulled my car off to get some real work done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlig2UNGR-c

The next phase that I was planning for the car involved sending the turbo to the Comp Turbo guys for them to machine out the compressor housing a little to accept a billet compressor wheel and having them rebalance the turbo. Given the 750hp+ that the car puts down, I can safely say that I see no reason to go any further. I'll also be running the car on the low boost program which still gives me 28lbs. Plenty nough for the street, I say.

Hap, wit dakine Monstah numbahs not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Nice update! I bet you are well chuffed with the outcome. I would defiantly tell AEM what happened and see what they say
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Most impressive
        Do you have the non SAE corrected power/torque figures?
        60-130mph / 100-200km/h times?
        1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
        1994 80E Avant
        1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

European Car...

I also forgot to mention that my car is appearing in the December issue of European Car. Its a 5 page spread that really celebrates the nature of this build.

Hap, wit dakine MAGination not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
            Nice update! I bet you are well chuffed with the outcome. I would defiantly tell AEM what happened and see what they say
            We've actually sent the filter back to AEM. Let's see what happens.

Hap, wit dakine filtrashin not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
              Most impressive
              Do you have the non SAE corrected power/torque figures?
              60-130mph / 100-200km/h times?
              Thanks. No, this is a Superflow dyno and as I understand it doesn't make corrections. It just gives a horsepower and torque number. I want to get the 60-130mph times when I can.

Hap, wit dakine time on my hand not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

That looks to be a very small AEM filter for your setup IMHO. Are you sure it's not holding you back?

nice results nevertheless!

Comment

Cool, that will be over 900 hp at the crank then

When you gonna take it up the strip???
                  The ONLY S2 Golf!
                  http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
                  10.42@138mph
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Originally posted by urs4guy View Post
                    Thanks. No, this is a Superflow dyno and as I understand it doesn't make corrections. It just gives a horsepower and torque number. I want to get the 60-130mph times when I can.

Hap, wit dakine time on my hand not from Evahboost, Maguire
                    <waiting impatiently>

Nice spread Hap!
                    1981 URQuattro with the TIAL GT35r.
                    2007 Infinity g35

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
                      That looks to be a very small AEM filter for your setup IMHO. Are you sure it's not holding you back?

nice results nevertheless!
                      Yeah, it was too small but how was I to know??? I'm back with an HKS 100mm mushroom filter that breathes very well.

Hap, wit dakine breathe not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Originally posted by URQguy View Post
                        <waiting impatiently>

Nice spread Hap!
                        Thanks Hank.

Hap, wit dakine thanks not from Evahboost, maguire

Comment

755hp/710tq at the wheels!!! flipping heck!

Ride height looks original as well, I was going to comment on the RS4 badge, then say the ur prefix, nice touch. Looks like a real labour of love (and i guess some hating along the way!)

Comment

750 hp my god ! that must feel something when u put the pedal to the metal !

Don t u got any vid of a nice speed run ?
                            S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by istoo View Post
                                755hp/710tq at the wheels!!! flipping heck!

Ride height looks original as well, I was going to comment on the RS4 badge, then say the ur prefix, nice touch. Looks like a real labour of love (and i guess some hating along the way!)
                                Yeah, that was pretty astounding and kinda blew away everybody at the dyno that day. This is my interpretation of a urRS4. The only hating was waiting the 3 years for the build to be finished.

Hap, wit dakine wait no moh not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Working...
                                X