Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Turbo...

Hey Guys

Da Monstah be blowin through a new turbo. When last I updated, we were at the dyno where Da Monstah pulled 755hp at the wheels. WE had a suspicion that we might have stretched the head studs and lifted the head While we pulled the head to evaluate things I decided to send my turbo off to Comp for a new billet compressor wheel. We had to send them the whole turbo because the billet wheel is slightly larger and they had to machine out the compressor housing. Everything was AOK with the head. The turbo got delivered to Dave Jones at S-Line on Wednesday and I picked her this morning. Oh my! The boost threshold has lowered dramatically but I don't have any quantitative numbers right now. As I've mentioned before, when you drive this car you had best be concentrating on driving the car. We'll be back at the dyno right after the first of the year so standby for more numbers. How many guys are rockin a billet turbo?

Hap, wit dakine Balisterized Turbo not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

I have a Billet compressor Holset but cant compare because i havent tried this turbo with cast impeller.
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Impressions...

OK guys. I've had a couple of days to get some miles on Da Monstah and I've got some things to report. The first thing was to remedy a boost threshold miss that was coming on at about 20 lbs of boost. Swapping out the Chrysler coils, I've got 2 full sets, did nothing. Finally a fresh set of plugs cured what was ailing. Dave Jones had not driven the car and run it in anger for quite some time. He was anxious to feel the new billet wheel so he ran it through first gear and part of second before he had to shut it down. He'd never felt a car get through first gear so quick. The answer would be a diesel 6 speed with the tall first gear. I may have a rebuilt, by Mr. Klugge himself, CRB available in the not too distant future. So anyways, the car is truly amazing with the new turbo. I mean it was something special before but its even more so now. Words just can't describe the feelings. This evening I was out in da country on a closed road and I saw 31 lbs of boost in 2nd gear to redline. I think I saw 28 lbs with the old turbo. What are you guys seeing in 2nd gear?

We're off to SoCal on Friday for 10 days so I won't be going to the dyno until after the first of the year. I left the stronger 14 lb spring in the wastegate so we could get some side by side numbers against what I pulled with the old turbo. I'm thinking we're gonna see the 750hp at the wheels with 30-32 lbs of boost vs 36lbs.

Hap, wit dakine feelin not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
          I have a Billet compressor Holset but cant compare because i havent tried this turbo with cast impeller.
          What are your impressions compared to the RS2? Which Holset is it?

Comment

It is a hybrid HX35/40. Turbo before was an HX40 with a smaller compressor impeller and a machined RS2 turbine housing (0.5 A/R). The old one was a bit better in terms of spooling i think because of the turbine housing. Right now i have a 16ccm housing (close to 1.1 A/R) and on the stroker in 4. gear i see 1 bar at 3900 RPM (still some tuning to do).

I am playing with the thought to try a 12ccm housing (close to 0.8-0.9) but i cant buy another housing right now that would bolt right on). Costs about 200 dollars + shipping and i spent too much lately on the car.
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Uuuuuuupdaaaaaaaaaaates

Comment

I am also running a CT43 with billet wheel.
                I going to map it soon then i will know how different it is from my current Precision SC61...
                UrS4 with Comp CT4367,Vems and other goodies!!!! SOLD!
                New project Audi S3 with GTX 28/67...
                http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40308

Comment

Hey Guys

Well, Tufty Jones, the Welshman, started tearing into things on Da Monstah. We've been spending a good amount of time consulting with our chassis/cage fabricator, Teague, on how best to bring structural rigidity to the C4 chassis. Teague was most recently with 3R Racing here in Denver and joins Tufty after just completing the initial build of their new C30 and the older S60 Volvos for the World Challenge. Some of the features will include 2 sets of differently oriented motor mounts which gets rid of the stock mounts, A-arms for the front suspension to pivot on. A direct mounting of the front sway bar to the front shock. A brand new subframe to help support everything. There will also be some major beefing up of the frame from underneath. We're also going with a modified interior cage that retains, for now, the back seat. Add to this all the new engine mods that include lighter rods, a block girdle for rigidity, the billett crank, O-ringing the block, higher strength head studs and that just about does it for now.

More to follow...

Hap, wit dakine stuff not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

You're so right, I always felt the car lacked rigidlty and power !

Looking forward to the pictorial updates.

Good luck with this round of endeavors.

Kind regards.

Comment

Hiya do you have anymore details on how the wagner inlet manifold was modified to turn the throttle body around?

Comment

I would say simply cut the flange off rotate and then re weld
                        Chef

Comment

Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                          You're so right, I always felt the car lacked rigidlty and power !

Looking forward to the pictorial updates.

Good luck with this round of endeavors.

Kind regards.
                          Thank you sir. Updates to follow.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                            Hiya do you have anymore details on how the wagner inlet manifold was modified to turn the throttle body around?
                            The Wagner is in its correct orientation. What we did was extend the neck to clear some engine pieces. It has a custom Ron Davis radiator and lots of custom lines. This is something that needs to be done for the AAN application and certainly in this case. We'll probably increase the size of the plenum and open/replace the neck for better flow.

Hap, wit dakine intake not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

How is the build coming on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                                How is the build coming on?
                                Hey Jamo

Funny you should ask. I was just going to do an update. Lot's of stuff going on with her.

All of the motor mounts are part of the car.

In this shot you can just make out the third mount which attaches to the tranny. The second shot from below shows the 2 bolt attachment which also acts as a DTS.

The subframe is basically done and we're just waiting on material for the sway bar and suspension A-arms. Sorry for the iPhone pics.

A little more detail on the DTS.

A little closer.

There is a set pin that allows the bar to be rotated for engine/tranny removal.

A little detail of the tranny attachment point.

More work has been done and the frame reinforcement is really progressing quite nicely. I can't really show underneath pics since the car is still bolted to the shop floor. Everything will receive a fresh powder coat and anodizing. More to follow.

A-arm suspension mockup in full swing. You can also see the front sway bar mockup.

On the left you can just see part of the frame reinforcement.

Hap, wit dakine reinforcements on da way not from Evahboost, Maguire

Comment

Working...
                                X