No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While removing the air box again tonight I noticed the wire mesh on the MAF was damaged. I don't want to just leave this there as I don't want it to get sucked in.

Is it safe to remove the wire mesh?
    What is the purpose of the mesh?
    Do I need to get a new MAF?

Was hoping to get it back out on the road tonight but after a few setbacks and parts not arriving today have ment that it could be the middle of next week before its drivable.
    96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Just pop it out, fit the one from the other end to protect the maf if you wish.

Some say the screen is also there to provide linear air flow for the sensor.

I had a damaged screen, so swapped the back one to the front, ran it for a couple of years no issues.

Other people have removed them completely

Stock v rs2 courtesy of Dave (UrS4boy)
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• It's been a little while since the last update.

Finished off the 280mm rear brake upgrade

Dropped the cheeper oil in favour of some better quality mineral to continue the running in.

Front end refitted

Wheels back on

First time back on all 4 wheels in almost 11 months.

Then parked up after a quick test drive.

After getting it MOT'ed in work today and running down to the post office to get it taxed its great to be back behind the wheel!

A while back I removed the sump to sort the issue of the crack studs fouling the sump, I noticed today that there is a small leak from the rear of the sump
        I'm going to have to remove the sump and subframe again and see what's causing the leak.

35 miles down tonight, still got quite a few more to do.

With ADI only just over a week away I'm still not sure if I'm happy enough with the car yet to make the 500 mile round trip and of course 4.5 hours each way of motorway driving probably isn't the best idea to do on the bedding in engine.

I'll try and get some good mileage on the car tomorrow so I'll try and get some pictures while I'm out and about.
        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Well done Tim!
          Good luck sorting the last few bits.

Comment

• Thanks Patrick. Its great to drive it again!
            Just a quick picture from today, I still need to set the KW's but just waiting for them to settle a bit until I set the final hight.

96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Looks superb

Comment

• Cheers Scott, thanks again for sending the clocks out. Got them swapped over the other night!

96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• That looks worth the wait! Sorry for the delay. Hopefully you can get a few quid for the auto-check

Comment

• No problem about the delay, thanks for putting the autocheck in with the clocks! I'll more than likely keep it as a spare in case anything goes funny with the original one!
                    96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• The cars looking excellent Tim, you must be really pleased with it and no doubt looing forward to giving it full death once the engine is run in
                      I've been driving mine for the first time in almost 9 months - I can tell you that you will be really pleased with the KWs
                      A shame the subframe has got to come off again to investigate the leak - I'm guessing you fitted a new rear crank seal?
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Looks great Tim! Good work!!! Don't be a pu$$y and just drive it to ADI. U know u want to. My coupe is going to get a new ticket and tax tomorrow and I'm going to ADI (admittedly I'm a little closer tho )
                        In all honesty tho it's looking really well, love those wheels
                        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

• Cheers for the comments, I've now done over 400 problem free miles so tonight I dropped the mineral oil and put in some fresh synthetic!

Also stripped the top end to recheck the head studs.

I'm going to have to try and clean the car tomorrow before I set off too the hotel ready for ADI on saturday, I dont think my alloys have ever been so dirty
                          96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Great news
                            Looking forward to seeing the car on Saturday mate. You can join me & James in the BBS club!
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• the throttle valve is in the wrong position i think....

Comment

• With the 600 mile round trip to ADI last weekend it meant the car had hit just over 1000 miles and after taking to a few members at the show it was decided that the car should now be used more to its full potential!

The car certainly pulls better than I remember and seems to boost slightly higher than I remember so I think I may have had a boost leak even though I couldn't find one before.

As it was my birthday on Monday and I had the day off I decided it was time to dig out my Paul N ECU and see what sort of difference it makes.

I don't know why I didn't look at getting something like this before. I know its not a big increase in power from stock but the difference in pull certainly does make it worth it!

I do have a few questions though...
                                -What is the normal boost level at WOT with this ECU?
                                -Is my MPG actually better when cruising or is the gauge reading wrong?

I also fitted Rusty's clutch linkage brace.

Fitted.

My linkage did have a small amount of movement in the joint prior to fitting this brace but after fitting the pedal has a much more positive feel to it, it also makes the whole clutch engagement feel much tighter in a good way.

I've also dug out my spare headlamp lense as a few members at ADI noticed that the passenger side has been replaced as some point with a non elipsoid glass.

I must say a big thank you for all the positive comments about the car from people at the show, it does make the hard work and long hours worth it!

Next few jobs are to try and clean up a spare set of fogs I have and also to swap the headlight glass. I think I might just enjoy driving it for a while!

Picture courtesy of Baldy.

Cheers, Tim.
                                96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X