No announcement yet.

UrS4 2.2T Avant project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, I totally agree. Normally cost is high for small (in the bigger picture) weight saving. Biggest issue I can see is packaging and fitment without major mods. I am working on an in-sump scavenge / pressure pump like the Porsche system. As usual I have not had time to do much yet to be honest

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yea, time is always a problem. This will be mostly aimed for big power setups with an beefy girdle. Also some alternatives for big/small block with or without waterpump etc. Modification need will be minimum.

This whole idea was just a sudden "bad idea" that came up with my friend. Why not test to do this as DIY..?

Waiting to see your project, you always have top notch execution.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Tom, if you make some cam wheels for sell, count me in Looks good as always
        Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

• Sure, I have them available.

Had some time to model the pump fitting. Already made two proto fittings but they where not good. Problem is that the pump has right hand fitting(pump on right hand of engine), and this will be fitted on the left side. But in the end the bracket will be quite simpple.

The orginal AAN brakets takes some space, but everything will fit quite easily. There will be 4 belts in the end, timing belt, dry sump belt, serpentine belt and supercharger belt.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Nice Job Thomas ... i am very interested how good the pump will work..
            [__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

• Really nice job! I admire your fabrication work

Comment

• very nice fabrication thomas! do you have enough room between pump and ground ? seems hanging low on the engine........
                audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                AEM W/M injection

Comment

• Thanks guys!

Nick, it's not very low when you turn the engine in right angle. Also my M90 was located in the same postition, and it was much bigger.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Small progress. Got the hose fittings done. Didn't wan't to buy expencive and weak china AN fitting so I did go with hydraulic JIC fittings. But the space was so tight so I decided to modify the fittings for hose clamps. Hose is hydraulic suction hose. Very flexible but has a metal spring inside. Also had to modify the pump fittings as the thread was too deep, so had to machine some off. Also the pump bracket had to be done a couple of times as I ordered little too short HTD belt for the setup. But finally I got it fit. Still have to weld the pan though, also tge pan hose fittings.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Hey Thomas, you are making quick progress here!
                      Are you planning some kind of guard on the sump to protect the scavenge tubes?
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yea, orginally the plan was that the tubes would be little different, and not come down so much. But as those 90 degree fittings are so big this is the outcome. Anyway they don't come lower than the orginal oil pan, so I don't think there is much danger. At least the orginal plastic undercover will protect from small flying stones etc...

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• One question, may I didn't catch the dry sump stuff correct - but as I have seen it they use 3 cell pumps. 2 cells for sucking the pan empty and 1 cell to generate the oil pressure from the external reservoir.
                          How do you "create" oil pressure?

Comment

• This works just the same, only it's 5-stage. So 4 scavenges sucking oil from the pan and pumps the oil(and air) to the tank. From the tank comes the oil feed for the pump pressure stage that generates the engine oil pressure. You can see the pressure stage in the rear of the pump, inlet in the end and outlet on the top.

5-stage pump can be little overkill, but we will see. At least there should not be a problem to generate vacuum in the engine. It shouldn't be more that -1bar though, otherwise there can be dificulties to keep seals holding.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Ahhh thanks for the explanation!
                              When it's overkill - the pumpt you can also shorten maybe?

And yes too much vaccuum can cause issues with the sealings etc. but I'm sure you will have enough blowby to cover it :-D

Comment

• more vacuum than -1bar is not possible, -1bar is absolute vacuum, no molecules left

Comment

Working...
                                X