No announcement yet.

UrS4 2.2T Avant project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have now tried to fit the custom gearset, maybe 10+h used on this first set. Problem after problem...

First custom set was going in Tempo's box. First trouble was getting of the 5th gear from the main shaft end. Seriously hard fit. After pulling, hammering and heating we finally got it off.

Second problem was the pinion roller bearing, it would need to be replaced, it was badly damaged. Expencive bearing, ~250 euros. Couldn't put the box together before the new bearimg was here, but soon we realised that there was no hurry in puttimg this together...

We fitter the gearset and other parts on the input shaft, and then we saw that the dog collar was only making very little contact with the inner spline on the dog "teeth"(don't know the right word), they where making contact about 4mm on six spots. This with the first gear engaged. No way this gona hold... Sending the parts to the machine shop for inspection and they say it's fine, it gona hold. Ok, what can you say. Putting parts together untill next issue...

Next was that the reverse gear didn't fit in it's place. The first gear on the input shaft was so wide that the reverse gear hit it. Needed to machine off 4mm of the back of the gear. After some driving 20km to my garage and machining on really hard material, driving back and it finally fitted in place.

Then the C-clip groove in the shaft was too small, the clip didn't fit. On the left side of the first gear you can see the groove, upper stock shaft, lower custom shaft.

Also the bushing that comes between the first gear and C-clip needed to be shorten 4mm, as the first gear is so wide.

C- clip groove machined and clip fitted. But this part wasn't the only issue here. The 6th gear needle bearing didn't go over the shaft. It was too tight. So needed to get few thous off, 240, 400, 1000 grit sandpaper and finally it feeled like the orginal...

We shall see what comes next. Second box hopefully goes faster. Second shaft is also now machined, so it should be alright. These kits was PnP... almost.
    Last edited by Thuppu; 16 February 2017, 00:46.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• where did you buy that stuff thomas?
      audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
      TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
      AEM W/M injection

Comment

• These was two first samples from a finnish machine shop. Biggest issue was that we got no info that some parts need modification. The reverse gear is fully understandable that it need to be machined as there is so little room around it. Also the bushing that comes between the first gear and C-clip need to be shortened or taken from a wide gear trans(CMG, DSY). They have used a wide gear trans for modelling the axle. Only real issues was the C-clip groove that was too small and the other shaft 6th gear bearing surface that was too tight.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Will you be able to suply later on this kit for our cars?If so i would be probably intrested

Comment

• Yes! This^^

I am saving up for this....

Comment

• Got tired of rusting fenders...

Carbon parts from Artis. Took a little while bit finally they are here.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Urs6 front end? Why?
                '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• Urs6 is not the point, just no carbon parts available as UrS4 versions.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Personally I'd sacrifice non rust for UrS4 looks but that's personal I guess. Saying that I'd love to have rust proof wings
                    '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• This Urs is also going for some diet. The stock hood weight like a ton.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Very nice. How is the fit?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

• Fit seems to be very good. Small adjustment still need to be done to the hood location like you see in the pics, but that's just adjustable by the bolts. This was just early test fit. Still need to take them off for some cleaning, small rust repair and painting.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Majorcina View Post
                            Will you be able to suply later on this kit for our cars?If so i would be probably intrested
                            Have forgot the reply to this.

We have now one box finished and ready to test, it will soon go in a 860hp typ85. Soon hope to get the other box done. I'm not sure how the availability will be from the machine shop..? I will not be supplying these. But I'll let you know when I know more.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Very nice Thomas.

Comment

• the wings & bonnet look great
                                sigpic
                                Cab 2.3E
                                90q
                                URS6