No announcement yet.

UrS4 2.2T Avant project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did this gear set come from Evegini? Friend of mind had the same issue with a similar gear kit that required machining of the input shaft.
    Issam N. Abed
    iABED Industries
    iABED Email | Facebook
    The build thread

Comment

• No. From a finnish machine shop, these where the two first kits of this kind of setup.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
        We have now tried to fit the custom gearset, maybe 10+h used on this first set. Problem after problem...

First custom set was going in Tempo's box. First trouble was getting of the 5th gear from the main shaft end. Seriously hard fit. After pulling, hammering and heating we finally got it off.

Second problem was the pinion roller bearing, it would need to be replaced, it was badly damaged. Expencive bearing, ~250 euros. Couldn't put the box together before the new bearimg was here, but soon we realised that there was no hurry in puttimg this together...

We fitter the gearset and other parts on the input shaft, and then we saw that the dog collar was only making very little contact with the inner spline on the dog "teeth"(don't know the right word), they where making contact about 4mm on six spots. This with the first gear engaged. No way this gona hold... Sending the parts to the machine shop for inspection and they say it's fine, it gona hold. Ok, what can you say. Putting parts together untill next issue...

Next was that the reverse gear didn't fit in it's place. The first gear on the input shaft was so wide that the reverse gear hit it. Needed to machine off 4mm of the back of the gear. After some driving 20km to my garage and machining on really hard material, driving back and it finally fitted in place.

Then the C-clip groove in the shaft was too small, the clip didn't fit. On the left side of the first gear you can see the groove, upper stock shaft, lower custom shaft.

Also the bushing that comes between the first gear and C-clip needed to be shorten 4mm, as the first gear is so wide.

C- clip groove machined and clip fitted. But this part wasn't the only issue here. The 6th gear needle bearing didn't go over the shaft. It was too tight. So needed to get few thous off, 240, 400, 1000 grit sandpaper and finally it feeled like the orginal...

We shall see what comes next. Second box hopefully goes faster. Second shaft is also now machined, so it should be alright. These kits was PnP... almost.

I just post this here also, as my UrS will get the second transmission we put together. This trans is in the test car now(Tempo's Typ85) and seems to work fine. Very different swich from 1st to 2nd, goes in direct with a clunck sound. No problem with putting in the 1st and start to drive, even that the 1st is quite long, the feel is almost identical to the stock ratio. But as the rpm's now drop less in the changes from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd the car feel a lot faster. I could guess 1/4 mile time will increase nicely.

The whine sound is loud, but as it is only the first two gears, it's no problem on street either. When car is standing still on idle with the gear in neutral the box will keep a rattling sound, when the cluch is pressed down it stops. Propably the shift collar is keeping the sound as it has a some play between the collar and inner ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrRimoPDcw

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• excellent write up. Fascinating seeing the work required. I've added you YouTube video, you. An add using video tags to embed
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• I think it's time to do something to the stroker block. It has been sitting in the garage for a long time, I have just waited that it will come together by it self, but no luck. Nothing has happend.

Today I took the air grinder and made some space for the rods. Also replaced the frost plug that had the coolant nip, it was in wrong place in this Volvo AEL block. It would have been covered by the motor mount. Fitted another plug with welded AN6 nip. Next I have to take of the automatic trans bushing from the crank and then I can start to build the block.

This are the mods the machine shop did to the block. Cost me a kidney. Next time I will do them myself. Have the proper machines for it now. Most simpple would be to just weld the oil drain hole shut and drill a hole for the water outlet and weld on a bung.

Edit. And we have 2000 posts in this thread.
            Last edited by Thuppu; 16 October 2017, 19:38.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Couple of blocks for my friend Tempo, tried a more simpple water outlet style.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Piston and rod setup. Ross Racing pistons, FCP 155mm rifledrilled X-beam rods and JE HD 22mm wrist pins.

Four of the pinns was little bit to tight in the rod small end, so took them to the machine shop and they honed them to spec.

Also gapped all the piston rings. 0.50-0.55mm top ring and 0.55-0.60mm second ring gap. Oil rings didn't need gepping.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Looks great! What compression ratio did you and up with?
                  1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

• Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
                    Looks great! What compression ratio did you and up with?
                    If I remember right, it was something like 7,5:1, when I calculated it some time back. Very low CR with these pistons, but with very high boost target it's just a good thing. Low end torque compensation is fixed with supercharging.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Looks perfect Thuppu and really nice shiny parts What about carbon fenders and hood? From cool-wheels.com? How much weight you saved?
                      Last edited by Tom_; 12 November 2017, 10:20.
                      Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

• Tom, I havn't caompared the weights yet, but the hood is a fraction of the orginal. They are from Artis http://www.ventracing.lv

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Havn't had time to visit in my own garage, but at my friends garage we started on transmission custom build nr. 2 for my UrS. The trans is now completely dismantled, need only to machine off some material from the reverse gear and a bushing before we can assembly it. May also dismantle the DSY gearbox I have and take the 6th 0.68 ratio gears from it.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Funny, it looks just like my bench
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Slowly getting there... This second box hasn't been easy. After modification to some parts it should have been PnP... NOT. The shaft didn't had any bearing clearance issues, but the big first gear hitted the box housing. So after few extra box dissmantle and assembly and messing with main bearing shims we finally got everything together and the shafts turning without seizing. Needed to shim the front differential as well, because the output shaft came 1mm closer to the diff.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Also some small thing has done on the engine side.

Crank polished

Shims shims shims, aah these are so fun to adjust.

Last edited by Thuppu; 28 January 2018, 15:10.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                                X