Audi quattro S1 E2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by G60Rallye View Post
    Good spot! That was my Christmas present its superb to use!
    Which one did you go for? I need to upgrade mine.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Its not the one that flips to use as a clear grinder shield. I find it superb to use very clear both when welding and when not.

Comment

• 9100?

I had a shot of one at somebodys unit, simply amazing to use! So clear, really fast etc Definitely on the shopping list now!

They can have a large viewing area

9100v is 45x93
        9100x is 54x107
        9100xx is 73x107

On ebay for about ÂŁ225-ÂŁ250 unless anybody knows of somewhere better to buy?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• The 9100V is the one I was looking at, still ÂŁ225 Better get saving!
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• I dont know what you are using just now but it was night and day compared to my cheap one. So clear to see through when not welding, made positiong etc so much easier.

I think I am going to get the XX, whats ÂŁ25 more

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Yes its the 9100, cant remember which version now. Its the best mask I have used like you say so clear when welding or not.

Comment

• Not worked on the car for a few months now due to other commitments. I did order up the body panels though from Prospeed. All very nicely made pieces.

Quattro on a pallet!

Bonnet, mirrors and top wing blade are in carbon.

Rest of the parts are in fibreglass

Will get around to working on it again soon hopefully.

Comment

• That is one sexy bonnet

Comment

• Had a long break from the car over summer due to other commitments. Now the nights are drawing in I have been back working on the shell. Got a week off work this week so really starting to crack back on with it!

First up was to replace the engine mounts as the standard ones have always looked a bit weak to me. The engine will be a stressed member on this build so something a bit stronger will be helpful.

So I welded up a boss on top of the standard mounts so I knew where they were meaning the old mounts could be sliced off the chassis:

Bosses machined up and welded directly to the subframe pick up:

Top bar could then be removed:

Chassis plated over to hide the fact it runs right through:

Added 2 extra tubes to beef it up a little not that it needed it! It also helps to shape the mount into something a little more pleasing on the eye:

Roof folded up and added on top to give it some shape:

Similar process on the other side although the shape is different due to its positioning being different:

Last bit was to check the block bolted back in, all is good!

Next I moved onto the A pillar area of the car which had been left quite a mess after dropping the A pillar cage bar through.

So first the cut off A pillar was notched and welded back into place around the tube:

Inner sill area cut back for a new plate to go in to connect it to the cage:

3mm spreader plates cut up to tie the A pillar bar into the shell and to continue the inner sill through:

Onto the other side tomorrow to get it tidied up to the same standard.

I also made a little purchase over the summer of some seats I have always wanted for the car a pair of Recarco SPA's. These versions are from Prodrive and are marked up as being used by Peter Solberg. I will be recovering them with new Recaro covers as STI doesn't really belong in the quattro!

Hopefully it wont be as long until the next update! I have the enthusiasm back now really want to get the shell finished this winter!

Comment

• Stunning work to an amazing standard as usual Hamish. It will be one hell of a machine when finished.

C

Comment

• This is awesome.....great Job...
                        [__]=oooo=[__]

Comment

• great fabrication

Comment

• Very nice Hamish.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Nice as usual, I love all the "little" ideas you have to make something better.

Do you prefer driving LHD cars?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Thanks for the comments.

Yes LHD for me feels more natural plus the engine leans so far over to the right I think it helps balance up the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X