• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great work old bean
    Chef

Comment

• Cheers for the compliments chaps.

A few reasons for left hand drive. I prefer LHD from a driving position. It means I can put the big exhaust tunnel in and have space on the LHS for a proper pedal box. Also thinking about re-sale value when the time comes to move it on.

Comment

• Looking amazing Hamish !!

I always look forward to your updates.
        All the best.

Craig.

Comment

• Said it on E38 but amazing attention to detail as normal. Always look forward to updates :-)
          Current - 2.5T S1 Exige project. Think 600bhp & 750kgs!
          2006-2014 - Dead boring company hack
          2008 - Lotus Exige S2
          2007 - Ultima GTR Build started.. then sold!
          2002-2006 - 350bhp 20vt Corrado 4x4
          2000-2006 - A string of vw's

Comment

• Managed a bit of work in the Christmas holidays. The strut tops are now welded on and the cage tied into them. Also got the scuttle panel squared up welding over all the unused holes.

The next job on the list is to tie the front subframe pick ups into the cage. Same as the rear I have machined 4 bosses to replace the standard captive nuts which have a habit of stripping. They are machined to accept a male boss on the subframe so it isn't relying on the bolt in sheer, also went up in size to M12 x 1.5mm.

Next job is to get them mounted in tubes and tied into the cage which will finally complete all the tube work on the shell.

Comment

• Nice Spedglas
              Chef

Comment

• Good spot! That was my Christmas present its superb to use!

Comment

• Progress has been a bit slow of late due to various other commitments. I have managed to get the front subframe points connected into the cage. Also slimmed down the front chassis legs:

So chassis legs first. I wanted to remove the front section as it had a lot of weight in it that I didn't need and I didn't like it aesthetically.

Chopped out and painted up, inside the chassis rails are in very good condition.

New piece folded up and welded into place.

Next I welded the bosses into 4 tubes and cut holes through the shell to bolt them onto the jig. The rear tubes come through the bulkhead and weld under the cross for the front turrets. Also ties into the inner arch which strengthens the steering rack mount.

The front bars are let into the inner wings to allow them to be welded between the subframe boss and top mounts.

Finally I pulled the engine mounts off the other car and bolted my spare block into place to check everything lined up before the engine mounts are re-made. Everything fitted perfectly.

The new job on the list is to make new engine mounts as I have never liked the standard set up and it seems silly not to tie them into the cage structure on each side.

Comment

• Looks awesome. I suppose my only criticism would be why not change the rack setup and move the engine back a little ?

Cracking on though. Good stuff

Comment

• I wouldn't want to run the drive shafts at such angles just by pushing the engine back. You can push it back enough with the rack in its standard position.

Comment

• awesome job ,I hope you can get a dump pipe down past the bar work, but iam sure you have something special in mind
                        also the opening for the steering arms where they pass through the inner arch i had to clearance the back of them because of the move in the strut tops?? it may have just been the straight 034 arms but i wasnt impressed about burning the paint after i had assembled it
                        thanks
                        mal
                        Last edited by malncol; 23 March 2015, 10:22.

Comment

• Thanks for the comments. I am sure I will get a down pipe past the bar without too much trouble. I have changed the shape of the openings for the steering arms to take into account the top mounts being moved. I will dry build it all up before paint to make sure it has clearance.

Comment

• You're making good progress mate
                            Are you planning to strengthen the outer mounting of the rack on the inner wing? That flexes noticeably on the stock CQ chassis, even with that ugly brace tied into the chassis rail.
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yep the bar that drops down from the top mounts to the rear subframe pick up will be tied into the inner wing/ outer rack mounting. That wont let it move at all especially with the centre mount tied into the cage as well.

Comment

• Perfect
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X