Aarons 8's or better RWD tube chassis build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nah thats him welding. i am doing no welding this time

and yeah whe i do one like that testing, i do the harder end first and then work the easier (lesser angle) end second. i have a few pieces i messed up. one piece took me 4 tries even!

Comment

Let's try a Tapatalk update.

Got the shock plates on and the lower bracing. Waiting for the housing ends to show up and then only one more step.

send via Tapatalk from the Batphone.

Comment

Front plate straps on and housing ends aligned. Ready to weld.

More rear end work was done today. Also made a part for a funny car called The Gambler and helped with a bagged supercharged hotrod Harley bike.

Rear end locater setup. All custom made. Machine work by me.

Comment

Awesome work again, that back axle looks like part of train!
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

That's some serious fabrication
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Finished off the x-locater and made the drop links for the anti roll bar. So cute they are. It is really nice having a lathe to use. 3/8" rod ends in chromoly tube.

rear end out and back in.

uncovered that booootay, its too nice to hide. removed some sheet metal....

Comment

havent updated here in quite a while i guess.

started the fronts.

Pinto rack in and done, tie rods made, rack mounts built, diagonals in. also got the body all mounted to the cage, and played around with an empty motor just looking at things, seeing how its going to look in there.

Comment

and played a little with an empty block/head to see how things look. the front plate is lexan just to make it easy to mess around with, once i get the exact location and what i want i will transfer it to aluminum and make the actual plate. stock intake manifold, again to visualize location and interference issues. i have an intake that is a stock replacement in mind, but it may not actually work out ideally for this setup. we will see.

but DAMN there is a lot of room in there. i think if the 4 cylinder doesnt do what i want it to do (and it should) or i get the yearning for more (we NEVER do that do we? haha) i will entertain the idea of an Audi 40v 4.2L V8 motor with twin turbos in its place. keep it Audi/Volkswagen at least for the motor, be different, whatever.

done a **** load more work, not in this order. this is the latest.

needed some room for tires. so i stretched the rear wheel arches 4" towards the front. the front end will be stretched completely (hood, fenders, etc ) the same 4".

done all of this myself with some pretty good guidance from an excellent chassis builder.

testing a 32" x 14" wide on a 14" wide wheel as this is the size i will probably run when i learn to drive this thing.

both sides done and cut. only driver side reassembled.

putting 3/4" backing strip in so we have something to weld to. sheared all of these strips. and the complicated section at the body moulding area, i used factory material there and split it .

hand formed the filler plate.

as he tacks these spots, he pulls the body work out and then tacks it. to keep its shape and prevent warpage. its not completed yet but it is visually good for clearance. and this is the wheel/tire i will use for the street. 315/60-15 on a 12" wide wheel, aka 30 tall by 13 wide. these are my training wheels so to speak. and YES it will be titled and reg'd and streetable.

then a trial fit with the side skirts. gonna be sorta low there

test fitted some engine stuff, like turbo and cell and stuff. made engine front and mid plates, and the front end is now welded out.

Comment

sighting the mainline to pinion center.

welding the front out (not me)

made the trans mount. also serves as a thrust block of sorts.

set up the turbo for manifold building.

then i put the front hubs and stuff together for good.

worked on center rail supports and mounting the seat.

Comment

i have not worked on this since i had shoulder surgery on 7-9-14. BUT i plan to get back to it soon. i did some more, up to 2 hours before surgery even on the very day of surgery.

Needed to open up the rear wheel arches 4″ to fit tires. No big deal. Test fitting the Goodyear 32×14 on a 14 to see how they fit as ultimately I will build towards the future.

This thing is going to be rather low after all haha. I hand made all the pieces to do this, and used factory sheetmetal for the area around the body trim.

this is the 32x14 i will eventually run, mine are the 315/60-15 aka 30x3.50's to start out with.

formed this piece by hand for the gap filler.

and the sexy little axles came in after about 6 weeks?

Strange 40 spline, rifle drilled, flange lightened and profile milled. i cant believe that was all only $725 shipped!!!!

put the axles together, popped them in the car (on the wrong sides of course, i dont know this ****!) and got the car off the jig to take it to our show/race this weekend to let people see it, rep a couple sponsors, that sort of thing.

also put the new motor in the AWD chassis, and put it on the dyno to break it in. turned the boost down ~10 psi (from >47 psi back to 38) and made right at the same power as before, almost 760 awhp and a little more torque at right at 570 ft lbs.

i just had shoulder surgery so i cant drive, but i have a buddy who will drive for me this sunday. my son is hyped about the car as well.

Comment

I like it naked too. Time to weld this thing out.

version one was very unhappy that it finally got to meet its replacement at the show sunday. i spent a good amount of time and money building a motor JUST to run this one single day this year in support of those who support me. my car is one of their booth cars and the fastest/quickest (usually sans breakage that is) car at the show. but as such, it attempted suicide by trying to eat the wall directly off the line. my driver (i am out this year from shoulder surgery) is a damned good driver, much better than i am i say, and he kept it off the wall. rear diff blew up, took off the top of the housing and spit part of a spider gear.

he did good, kept it off the wall. we got this one single launch and that is ALL for the entire year. bummer, too, cuz we also missed out on 8 pure silver dollars and a few hundo in cash along with trophys and crown. next time.

Comment

some brake stuff and steering.

A mole trap shot.

Worked on it over the last few weekends..... finished building my gas pedal. Started tin work with cardboard templates then actual tin. Driver side is steel welded in and pass side is aluminum dzus tabbed removable.

Was about to weld in the driver side but needed to make the drive shaft loop and enclosure stuff first.

And tin work.

And transferred to steel.

And tunnel work.

Comment

Drive shaft enclosure in chromoly done. Modular and removable top and bottom pieces. Welded in the first three pieces of tin. Put some bracing for weight bearing where driver feet go getting Into the car. Started the driver floor. Put center belt tab in.

Well it's sunday so Saturdays update.

Finished the driver side floor. Welded down. It's the only side that has to be steel the rest is aluminum and removable. Also made some little pieces to fill some triangulation braces. Little details. ....

Also helped some with this 60 Vette. Blown big block on E85. Headrest for cage.

Car sounds mean!!!!!

also, got injectors finally and got the awd car up and running. its about ready for next year! next it goes into the trailer and the Rado project and the Rabbit move inside for good.

Comment

spent the holiday installing a new hot tub. poured the concrete on Xmas, by hand, by myself as the wife and son went to her family place.

so i didnt get much done around here. just a little more tin work. i only get down there on saturdays to do work on it anymore since i moved away from the shop.

Had a friend pull a mould from my awd chassis' S2 rear bumper and build me a couple. Shaved the exhaust port as it is not needed.

Back on tin.

and here we are for 2015.

Comment

i had shoulder surgery and then a hernia repaired. so i have been down a fair bit of time.

i bought a new house with a shop, had to build the shop the way i want it, and have done tons of work not involved with the car.

its coming along, and i dont think i will have it ready for this year. but whatever, its not a rush item for me at this point. it'll happen when it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X