Aarons 8's or better RWD tube chassis build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://vimeo.com/123781232
    Last edited by speeding-g60; 11 September 2015, 20:08.

Comment

Scotts funny car is insane. There is no suspension. The rear diff is mounted to the frame the front suspension is mounted solid as well. It flexes in engineered places and the tires are the only suspension.

Pretty amazing stuff really and talking to these guys and listening to their stories is great education for me

Comment

Work on my project was to finish the passenger side firewall to body tin. Pull the body up to weld out filler plate. And work on rocker panel to chassis tin. Also made some supports for the lower windshield framework.

Comment

40" tub time. i mentioned that i wished i could just get it close with the cardboard, fiberglass the cardboard, and then pull the moulds (cardboard) and call it done. rolled his eyes did he and just chuckled.

forming those tubs is a chore in itself, that Pittsburgh lap seam sucks. lots of little banging and tin knocking with the little hammers.but it turned out perfect as it can be. this guy is very highly detail oriented for sure.

http://www.tpub.com/steelworker2/22.htm

i forgot the first pic in this series. setting up the 40" tub templates. these were what we used when we set up the location of the rear diff in relation to the body and wheel openings, as well as the level of the Promod style rear halo. i didnt want the tub to come up into the window area if i could help it, and thus we have the top of the tub pretty much flush with the window rubber. which also set the height of the rear halo, etc.

Comment

and this should catch you guys up to 4-27-2015 progress.....

Wheel tub was running right thru gas door so it has to go. Cut it out and cleaned it up. Hand formed a filler plate or plug, rolled out to sit flush, and put it in.

Wheel tubs are trimmed up and evened up and in temporarily. They will be powdercoated along with the rest of the tin for final assembly way down the road when we will also paint the chassis and body.

And a bonfire before I fly back out tomorrow. Such is the life of a working man.

Comment

Great write up. It always impresses me the fab work that members are doing on here
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

thanks! i try. i am learning a lot!

Flat

Step

Brake one

Brake two

Fit into place

Now the front tub areas

Comment

wow i cant believe how long it has been since i posted here. i should probably put some pictures here i guess.

Comment

Would be happy if crushed moles weren't included.

Comment

ok no more crushed moles LOL.

shoot i am far behind on this thread here. lots and lots have happened here since i left off.

still doing tin. man i will be happy when i am back home, as working out of state sucks balz. getting home twice a month average and working on this two saturdays a month is grinding on me.

doin rear brake pads on Chubs new quad, have a very attentive audience. Peanut (the girl) was all helpful and held the caliper each time i had to get something, even.

morning hot tub.... ahh that country life, so peaceful and quiet and the view? excellent. thats my back yard all the way back to the houses, 875 foot deep the lot is by 250 foot wide.

Chub riding Awesomeness

fitting the rear bumper we made a mould of from my other car, deleted the exhaust cut-out. will mount then have a cutout for the wheelie bars.

back to the tin. in front of the tubs, and then the rear quarter panels. he keeps saying the tin is almost done. every time i get there he says that. HAHAHAHAA.

and another night time escapade in the Hot Tub Time Machine. relaxation on level 12.

and i guess i didnt really post much about some of my side **** i work on did i.

i have owned this car since 1990, it became my first attempt at building a drag car after being stored for 12 years, and i will have it forever.

i made a liquor cabinet out of it. it is one way to keep a car forever. it is not finished, like most things i start. but its in the house and looks ****ing killer i would have to say.

Comment

And I do stuff during the week as well when i am home. I only get to go work on ze car on saturdays.

https://vimeo.com/123781232

Did more tin work. Finished the pieces In front of the tubs. Continued the rib pattern. It's the little details that make a show car worthy haha.

Started the under tub tin. It is there to prevent crap building up on the bulkhead and dropping back in front of the rear tires.

Worked on a fuel tank of a mint 65 street/strip Chevelle, pulled the motor from the Cobra replicar, and had a photo/video shoot of the car as we prepped two cars for this weekends racing. Wife races the MK3 VR6 supercharged GTI and I will run the awd car.

Oops I guess I better pop pix of the work haha

and Chub is getting into motorsports.... got him a 70cc Eton Viper quad, last of the 2-strokers. and he is riding THE **** out of it!!!! already getting ~12 feet distance on his jumps!!!!

Comment

being out of town for long periods puts a damper on things for sure. then coming home and "getting" to work 13 days straight then one day off then 6 on one off 6 on one off etc really doesnt allow much to get done. but i do werk as i can. and its not all car **** either. we had the 2nd, the 9th, and the 23rd off for the month of August. worked 10 hrs every other day.

so i had the weekend scheduled off for the whole year; friday thru monday for a race on sunday. but, knocked myself out with a fence post driver, concussion and 20 stiches (to the skull, 4 internal to sew the liner back together and 16 outside) and they recommended i dont race. so i didnt. i worked on this car saturday (incident friday) then finished the chicken compound and mansion sunday then back to the car monday and right back to work.

Comment

had a lil mishap, first day of a four day vacation (friday) to race on sunday. fence post driver must have come just barely above the top of the post i was driving, hit the nub at the top, and WHAM!!!! lights didnt go out right away, but they dimmed for a fair amount of time yes they did.

yes that white spot is my skull. head CT scan clear. 20 stitches. concussion. lost about 45 minutes from the house to urgent care and from urgent car to ER. no bueno.

Comment

i also did get to drive the car before this, and with stock trans i ran a 9.69 @ 148 with a craptastical 1.54x 60'. pedalled 4th as i thought i missed the shift. split second off throttle and right back in it. broke the stock trans tonight as well. no more 1-2 gears.

also played with the new shifter, with air actuation.

did some garage playing and brake boosting

drove the mk3 down to work on the car, did a quick 115 pass on the road past the Sheriffs house who lives about 1/4 mile from me :-)

Gets better and better. they stayed like this for almost 6 weeks!!!

Picked up a big white stud for my redheads... sorta like how I roll . 8-)

Comment

always freakin doing werk. anyhow, no matter how much i work, crap still happens here at home. got to work on the chassis car finally again today, did some glass work on the rear bumper for the wheelie bar notch.

but to catch up, here is update.

37 eggs first week of production. and I have the majority of the compound covered with some leftover geotech material from a job and 3/4 inch PVC for arches. The face wound is healed up I lost feeling above it and I'm having issues inside with a scrambled brain having to do with equilibrium balance and vertigo. But other than that it's all good. got 46 the next week, 42 following, and sitting at 40 now with one day to go.

Sunset

Dawn

Eggs. Farm Fresh Free Range fed. There is nothing like it.

And this poor car sits out in the weeds collecting dirt like nothing else

Catch up. I gonna eat all these Martys eventually.

Something tried to get at my girls !!!!

Venting

Love this place.

5 hours and 5 beers gets me here. Plumb level and square. Soon I can get rid of the pop up. Three whole days off from work in the month of August. And I still get stuff done.

And today was chassis car day

And I eat well also. 1.61 pounds of ribeye.

Last night was 1.25 pounder.

oh yeah...... my face wound is infected some, from always being in my hard hat as it sits RIGHT OVER IT!!!! the doc, when i went two days ago, gave me some antibiotics, took a sample to see how bad the infection is, and then did some tests. now i need to go see a neurologist as the stuff i got going on is not getting any better. if i turn and look over my shoulder as if i am backing up, in 15 seconds i am unconscious. if i look up at a fixed object, within 5 seconds i am falling back. my farking brain is scrambled and that thing aint getting any better apparently.

i gotta get my NHRA license and physical updated this week, and i hope this crap doesnt affect that as i will be DOOMED!!!! (as my son Chub would say, DOOMED!!!!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X