No announcement yet.

UrS4 2.2T Sedan project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks! Received a sump baffle from Thuppu today. Will mount it in the future.

Last edited by s0_big; 9 June 2017, 23:01.

Comment

• Have vacation now so i got time to polish the car. Going to a Audi meeting in sweden later this summer "Nordic Audi Swapmeet" Nothing else really done to the car.

Comment

• Well today was not a good day. I found out that i got a crack in my exhaust manifold. Realised something was wrong when i saw some black colored exhaust wrapping, when i removed it i saw the crack. Will remove the em and send it to CP-S for repair. Does many other people have issues with their EM cracking? Did this happend because i didn't have a support bracket for the turbo? Sucks either way.. Unfortunately i wont make it to the Nordic Audi meeting next weekend. Bad timing for sure... Otherwise i'm waiting for the fuel pressure adapter that Jonas_r are making. Then i will connect a fuel pressure sensor to the Maxxecu so i can logg/see fuel pressure.

The crack in the EM:
        filedata/fetch?id=1995952&d=1501937320&type=thumb

Fuel pressure adapter that Jonas_r are making for us.
        filedata/fetch?id=1995953&d=1501937342&type=thumb
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Was your manifold made of stainless steel? At least they are prone for cracking. Also I have a couple of questions, I'm rebuilding my urS4 rear subframe (bought one with rear sway bar) and wondering how do the yellow track polyurethane bushings feel? Do you have more vibrations and noise and how about the steering feedback? And one more question: do rear and front bumpers fit from urS6 avant to urS4 sedan (I think you got them from avant)?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Squbbe View Post
            Was your manifold made of stainless steel? At least they are prone for cracking. Also I have a couple of questions, I'm rebuilding my urS4 rear subframe (bought one with rear sway bar) and wondering how do the yellow track polyurethane bushings feel? Do you have more vibrations and noise and how about the steering feedback? And one more question: do rear and front bumpers fit from urS6 avant to urS4 sedan (I think you got them from avant)?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
            Hi! Yes it was made from stainless. I tought they lasted longer.. it was not a cheap ebay manifold. But it will be fixed during the winter. Hard to tell the difference, but i can't feel any strange vibrations compared to before. Yes they fit but you have to take the front bumper mountings from the urs6 as they are different. Otherwise it's a perfect match.

Comment

• Thanks for the info! The urS6 bumpers paired with the wider door trims look damn good with S4. You asked me earlier if I have a project thread of my car, I haven't got one yet but I'm thinking of writing it up. Been fixing minor issues with the car for 2,5 years (I'm a student), bought new wheels and refurbished them (BBS RS 236 9.5x17 & 9x17) and so on...
              I'm just trying to decide between OEM (lemförder) bushings and harsher polyurethane ones. I like quietness but would also want improved handling and stiffness if possible.
              Good luck with getting the manifold fixed! You can be sure that I'm following in your footsteps with my car, the amount of detail and hard work put into your car is outstanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squbbe View Post
                Thanks for the info! The urS6 bumpers paired with the wider door trims look damn good with S4. You asked me earlier if I have a project thread of my car, I haven't got one yet but I'm thinking of writing it up. Been fixing minor issues with the car for 2,5 years (I'm a student), bought new wheels and refurbished them (BBS RS 236 9.5x17 & 9x17) and so on...
                I'm just trying to decide between OEM (lemförder) bushings and harsher polyurethane ones. I like quietness but would also want improved handling and stiffness if possible.
                Good luck with getting the manifold fixed! You can be sure that I'm following in your footsteps with my car, the amount of detail and hard work put into your car is outstanding.
                No problem. Happy to help. Yeah i think you should! Always good with project threads. Sounds like nice fat rims I want other wider rims in the future som time.. I think you could go with poly bushes, don't think the will do much with the sound. Thanks, it's just to work hard at work and on the car

Comment

• Hello! Not much have happend since last update. To be honest, nothing happend at all! But now i'm getting the feeling to start working on the car again. The turbo started leaking oil on the exhaust housing, so that one also needs some attention.. I have send't a request to different companies in sweden to rebuild my leaking turbo. Also i will try to get in contact with Cp-s so they hopfully can repair my exhaustmanifold. Will hopfully start to break down the car some day in the near future..

image_67244.jpg
                  Last edited by s0_big; 18 December 2017, 22:39.

Comment

• Good evening. Got the time today to dissasemble the exhasut manifold and the turbo. The manifold will be sendt to CP-S for repair and the turbo to a company called Svensk turboservice.
                    Hopfully i will soon have the parts fixed.

filedata/fetch?id=2002491&d=1507666432&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=2002490&d=1507666432&type=thumb
                    This gallery has 4 photos.
                    Last edited by s0_big; 10 October 2017, 22:24.

Comment

• So, i have been waiting for the turbo/exhaust manifold to get back from overhaul. Now i've got both turbo and exhaust manifold back. The manifold is welded nicely, i think i will make some turbo supports/brackets to hold the weight of the turbo to prevent more cracking on the manifold. The turbo had as you know a external oil leak. The guys at Svensk Turboservice told me that the sealing ring towards the exhaust side caused the turbo to leak, and when it starts to leak it only gets worse. The guys also found a bearing on the turbo that looked like it had running hot, so they changed this bearing also to prevent future failures.
                      During dissasembly of exhaust manifold/turbo i managed to make one water hose for cooling the wastegate to leak. So i had to make a new one.. Get the parts at the hydraulic store, leave it for black galvanizing, back to the hydraulic shop, press the hose and then done.. Lots of work for a little hose.
                      So soon i can mount it all back together. I'm waiting for some parts to bring it back together, exhaust wrap and new copper nuts for the exhaust. Soon it will be running again.

The manifold welded and with machined connection surfaces.

Some parts i will install, new OEM oil temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor with connector for MaxxEcu, hose for water cooled WG and some spare black galvanized couplings.

Attached Files
                      This gallery has 3 photos.
                      Last edited by s0_big; 22 November 2017, 17:46.

Comment

• To much at work and no strenght left to work on the car at night/weekends. But a few days ago i managed to drag myself to the garage to start put the car back together again. I re wrapped the exhaust manifold (I hate the time it takes, boring to) took like 1 and a half hour But then it was pretty straight forward without any problems. I managed to get the car ready for start up. But was to tired/ to late to start it up. But some day now i will start the car up, hopefully with a leak free turbo and leak free exhaustmanifold, i will be back with results

Wrapped exhaust manifold and refurbished turbo:
                        ad568a211c473037.jpg

Start ready!
                        913cee8fca3b8940.jpg
                        Last edited by s0_big; 8 January 2018, 22:15.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that you definitely need to fabricate a decent support bracket otherwise the exhaust manifold will certainly crack again. Have a look at the 'pictures of engines' thread on here for ideas, assuming not too many photoas are missing due to photobucket's changes.

If your exhaust downpipe is mild steel as opposed to stainless steel, I found that the wrapping caused the mild steel to rust / age much quicker than if it was left unwrapped. Just my own thoughts on the wrapping. ( Have to say it looks nice when it is fresh though ).

Can others please comment on my two assertions above, so that the op can get a feel for what he needs / should do - Thanks.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Enjoy it. It looks like it'll pull well.

Comment

• Yeah, i will build some kind of bracket/holding for the turbo. I will have a look there for ideas. Thanks, i will never stop fighting this car

Comment

• Wow! Just Wow...... read the entire thread! Great work!

Comment

• Started the car about a week ago. Seems to be no problems yet. It's sitting och jack stands in the garage so no test drive was done. The roads are not that pretty either nowdays in Sweden. But i will find out pretty quick if the repairs are holding up. Other things that is going to happen is that i will connect the fuel pressure sensor to the Maxxecu, also i will put in the oil sump baffle i bought from Thuppu. Otherwise there is just to wait for better weather to do a testdrive..
                                A little video from the start up, it's the fuel injectors that are making noise, not the lifters if any body wonders.

Comment

Working...
                                X